Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

3 Hand Landing options?

ParrotAnafiFan

Reaction score
I noticed there are 3 ways to hand land

#1 hover in front of you, stick hand under then press land button on SC3, takes awhile but motors stop.
#2 Grab it tight carefully on bottom from the air hovering in front of you then turn it real quick, motors spin high then turn off (FF6 logs this type as a crash and may not do good on motors)
#3 Hover in front of you, put SC3 in left hand if you are right handed take your right hand flat and put underneath anafi then move left stick with left hand all the way to the down position and hold.

Reactions: Ratmir
Has anyone tried hand takeoff? Disable hand launch and go to normal take off in options hold your hand out and should rise as it does from on the ground. I have to try this yet. I have it on the to do in my notes.

Has anyone tried hand takeoff? Disable hand launch and go to normal take off in options hold your hand out and should rise as it does from on the ground. I have to try this yet. I have it on the to do in my notes.
Just curious...why wouldn't you just use the hand launch feature in the app...hit the hand launch button (first) and toss the Anafi in the air.

Regards,
Jet

Why would you want to try that? In hand launch it calibrates everything a bit differently so you will not crash your Anafi. Your just asking to have a crash

Because you are covering up the sensors with your hand. Let us know how it goes. Makes you wonder why they went to the trouble of adding the hand launch option. I really do not think it will even start the motors.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Always bothered me to throw a drone into the air "hoping" that all starts-up as required....

It always bothered me also but once I started using this option this all I use now. Wait for the count down and just give a little flick into the air and away it goes. I bet I have over 100 flights this way. Landing I do not do, I just grab it from the bottom and flip it. I have had it fall off my hand to many times to trust myself to control the landing.

I always think its worth pointing out in these hand landing discussions that while hand launch is a documented and supported parrot anafi feature, nowhere do they ever mention hand landing...

I exclusively hand launch and hand land - It is the coolest features of the Anafi, and it works so well.

Also when flying near people, it does that jedi mind trick - that it puts people at ease, and view you as just another RC nut playing with their RC toys in the park (how dangerous can it be if this guy is thowing it in to the air to launch and then putting is hand underneath to land!).

I also struggled with the landing part until I discovered that if the Anafi does not start the landing process before seeing your hand it will fight it for several seconds before switching off.

The trick is to press the landing button on the phone or SC3, once the drone starts to decend, then place your hand underneath the drone with a gap of around 15 to 30cm / 0.5ft to 1ft from the drone, once it touches your hand it will switch off straight away.

.....I discovered that if the Anafi does not start the landing process before seeing your hand it will fight it for several seconds before switching off.

The trick is to press the landing button on the phone or SC3, once the drone starts to decend, then place your hand underneath the drone with a gap of around 15 to 30cm / 0.5ft to 1ft from the drone, once it touches your hand it will switch off straight away.
That could be why it worked a few times for me and not others! An important detail.

very interesting, I have tryed to hand-land yesterday. Hovering in front of me and putting my hand underneath, the ANAFI stops the motors after about 3-5 seconds later.
If I understand you correctly I still have to push the land button. The ANAFI then decends down to my open hand, right?
Another question is: can I use the RTH function to bring the ANAFI back to its starting postion where she hovers and wait for the "land" command. Pressing the land button would then do the rest.

Yes, you have to press the land button. Like AnafiPilot, I have found that pressing the land button from about head height and then putting your hand under the Anafi as it descends works best. I have also found that the method is not without risk of not having the motors shut off and the drone bouncing around on your hand forcing you to grab it and maybe getting nipped. I only use it when I have to launch/land over unlandable terrain. Most of the time I use a pad, taking over from the hover and maneuvering the drone to its center at about 2 feet, then pressing the land button.

As for the second question, this is how RTH works. It's rare to have the drone end up exactly over the pad if you use one. I usually figure a margin of six feet from the precision take-off spot. I have also had the Anafi occasionally descend straight into the ground without stopping when using RTH, so I am always prepared to take over at 6 feet.

I need to try placing the hand under the drone AFTER pushing the land button...

In another thread someone mentioned thatonce the Anafi sits in your hand, sensor covered, you can move your hand slowly in different directions, to help it stop quicker. I find it helpful, too.

Another possible trick, is to come as close as possible from the take off position, before landing. At least if the GPS and/or precise home is set at the moment of the hand launch. I have the impression that by standing only 2 meters away, it can cause the Anafi to keep moving sideway towards this position after hand landing, instead of stopping the motors ?

As I understand it, the precision take off is set by the camera on the belly, in addition to the GPS position. As the drone returns to the GPS home position, it tries to match what it sees through the belly camera with what it took as a photograph upon take off. If it matches, it will land. This is why only a good contrasty pad, table, or other surface will work. If you take off from a green lawn, the Anafi will only get within 6 feet or so of your take-off spot, even if you get a precision set message. I have had the drone land on my pad correctly only a few times out of dozens of attempts, so I no longer pay much attention. I always visually acquire the Anafi and watch it like a hawk, taking over manually from the hover or very quickly if it gives any indication that it is not going to hover, then manually coaxing it directly over the pad at two feet and only then hit Land. This method has nearly a 100% success rate.

Where you are standing when you attempt a hand landing has no effect on what happens when you hit the Land button from a hover after RTH. I still don't know why the hand landing is sometimes successful and sometimes not, having tried all the permutations over the past year. I do believe that attempting a hand landing in anything but the lightest breeze is a bad idea. But then I've also had the Anafi bounce off the landing pad in a breeze of about only 10-12 mph. I think there is some variability from one serial number to another and what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. Indeed, what works for me on Monday may not work on Tuesday! :oops: My Anafi is still 100% reliable after a year when flying, but not when landing, which is why I bought insurance and will renew it this month! (That's on firmware 1.6.3 and I have no intention of updating).

very interesting, I have tryed to hand-land yesterday. Hovering in front of me and putting my hand underneath, the ANAFI stops the motors after about 3-5 seconds later.
If I understand you correctly I still have to push the land button. The ANAFI then decends down to my open hand, right?
Another question is: can I use the RTH function to bring the ANAFI back to its starting postion where she hovers and wait for the "land" command. Pressing the land button would then do the rest.

You can tell when the Anafi is in landing mode it comes down much slower than normal - if you press the land button on the controller and it is doing the slow decent, then sticking your hand under and it will land perfectly.

However, if the Anafi is coming down fast (after pressing the land button) then it will bounce around in your hand for several (long) seconds before switching off the motors.

I find it has to be high enough to enter landing mode - So I generally bring the Anafi to around 3m (10ft) above the ground then hit the land button and it normally descends very slowly and you know the hand landing will go as planned.

Now, you will find various threads were there is a long standing 'feature' (bug) where the Anafi does not enter landing mode and comes down quick - this happens with hand landing and ground landing (resulting in bouncing on the landing pad). I don't think anyone has worked out why this sometimes happens, but like I said above that issue is not exclusive to hand landing and happens with ground landing as well.

Well, that would explain my observations! More reason to manually fly down to 2 feet over the pad (zone) before hitting the Land button.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut