Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

3 Hand Landing options?

There's a Parrot video that shows the Anafi hovering 590 cm, about 2 feet, above the hand, then initiating landing. In my experience, it really does not work if my hand is closer than 2 ft, but if I get the distance right, it settles down and stops. Otherwise, it settles fitfully, and won't shut down. I used to do the grab and flip option, #2 above, but Parrot, during a warranty review, requested that I stop that practice. Living in rough country, I particularly like hand takeoff and landing.

I like hand launch and landing, too!
And the landing works mostly, I think it is important, to have it really flat out, that the bird can "see" it with the sensors.
It is a 80% landing, 20% desending into the hand, followed by "90 degree"

There's a Parrot video that shows the Anafi hovering 590 cm, about 2 feet, above the hand, then initiating landing. In my experience, it really does not work if my hand is closer than 2 ft, but if I get the distance right, it settles down and stops. Otherwise, it settles fitfully, and won't shut down. I used to do the grab and flip option, #2 above, but Parrot, during a warranty review, requested that I stop that practice. Living in rough country, I particularly like hand takeoff and landing.
I hope you mean 59 cm! I doubt it would work well from 232 feet! :oops: I wonder if this is why I have had mediocre luck with hand landing. I've tried most of the techniques, including waiting to place your hand until after the land button is pressed, but I never paid close attention to the hand/drone distance. I will go try this, as I often find myself wanting to fly where there is no flat place to put the landing pad.

Reactions: AnafiPilot
Now, you will find various threads were there is a long standing 'feature' (bug) where the Anafi does not enter landing mode and comes down quick - this happens with hand landing and ground landing (resulting in bouncing on the landing pad). I don't think anyone has worked out why this sometimes happens, but like I said above that issue is not exclusive to hand landing and happens with ground landing as well.

Looking at the few videos from the app's screen I have, I see the drone altitude is off a few meters every time I had the issue of the Anafi descending faster, and not stopping the motors as soon as it sits on my palm. Last time it happened it shows 2 meters elevation when it's on the hand, and 4 meters elevation when hovering before I push the button on the control (it was probably only 1 meter higher than my hand in reality, certainly not 3 or 4 meters).

If that's the reason behind this annoying behavior, maybe waiting until the elevation displayed on the app is more accurate may be a way to prevent the problem. It's well known that GPS altitude is less precise than on an horizontal plane.

Landing check list, 1st item...

Looking at the few videos from the app's screen I have, I see the drone altitude is off a few meters every time I had the issue of the Anafi descending faster, and not stopping the motors as soon as it sits on my palm. Last time it happened it shows 2 meters elevation when it's on the hand, and 4 meters elevation when hovering before I push the button on the control (it was probably only 1 meter higher than my hand in reality, certainly not 3 or 4 meters).

If that's the reason behind this annoying behavior, maybe waiting until the elevation displayed on the app is more accurate may be a way to prevent the problem. It's well known that GPS altitude is less precise than on an horizontal plane.

Landing check list, 1st item...
The GPS altitude is inaccurate, but that’s why there’s an ultrasonic distance sensor on the bottom of the Anafi.
This should sense the landing. If you do not place your palm exactly under the sensor, the engine will not stop because it still detects that it has not reached the ground.
The problem with ultrasound is that soft surfaces absorb it (palm). The Spark infrared sensor works much better: it lands gently and has always sensed my palm well.

Oh, by the way:

My palm is always placed just about 30cm under it, when it works well
Bird on eye level makes that the easiest way to get it done!

The ultimate way is how paladrone lands the Anafi, he is a ultimate boss and has more knowledge than everybody on this entire forum, combined (that includes me)

The GPS altitude is inaccurate, but that’s why there’s an ultrasonic distance sensor on the bottom of the Anafi.
This should sense the landing. If you do not place your palm exactly under the sensor, the engine will not stop because it still detects that it has not reached the ground.
The problem with ultrasound is that soft surfaces absorb it (palm). The Spark infrared sensor works much better: it lands gently and has always sensed my palm well.

"Ultrasonic sensor" ? I don't think so, the Anafi has a vertical camera used to (try to) define the "precise home" position together with the GPS, that's why launching and landing from the exact same position may also help when it comes to hand landing, at least if the ground is not uniform and precise home is defined after launching.
On the bottom there is a blue light, a fan, a vertical low res camera, then the loudspeaker, if I'm correct, I don't think the Anafi has any sensor...

"Ultrasonic sensor" ? I don't think so, the Anafi has a vertical camera used to (try to) define the "precise home" position together with the GPS, that's why launching and landing from the exact same position may also help when it comes to hand landing, at least if the ground is not uniform and precise home is defined after launching.
On the bottom there is a blue light, a fan, a vertical low res camera, then the loudspeaker, if I'm correct, I don't think the Anafi has any sensor...
it is not a loudspeaker. any sound you hear is from the engines

Good to know: That speaker really makes sound, ultrasound. It's an altimeter sensor. The camera detects horizontal movement and holds it in place when there is no GPS. Enter in the viewfinder: ultrasonic sensor and look at the pictures.
Otherwise, the drones do not measure the altitude with a GPS but with a barometer.

see my earlyer post: Hard Landings

Last edited:
Reactions: RainyShadow
Good to know: That speaker really makes sound, ultrasound. It's an altimeter sensor. The camera detects horizontal movement and holds it in place when there is no GPS. Enter in the viewfinder: ultrasonic sensor and look at the pictures.
Otherwise, the drones do not measure the altitude with a GPS but with a barometer.

see my earlyer post: Hard Landings

There is no mention of ultrasonic sensor anywhere in the doc. Any link ?

Also not all GPS devices have barometers. GPS positioning is perfectly able to calculate it but it's slightly less precise than the latitude and longitude (which are also approximations). I don't think the Anafi has a barometer. Do you have any reference about it ?

Look better at your app next time you are ready to land on your hand, and if the drone's elevation displayed in FF6 is more important than its real position, you can expect the landing to be more complicated.

Also not all GPS devices have barometers. GPS positioning is perfectly able to calculate it but it's slightly less precise than the latitude and longitude (which are also approximations). I don't think the Anafi has a barometer. Do you have any reference about it ?

Look better at your app next time you are ready to land on your hand, and if the drone's elevation displayed in FF6 is more important than its real position, you can expect the landing to be more complicated.
Here is the link LMGTFY if you can't check what an ultrasonic sensor looks like.
If you just use your logic smoothly: why put a speaker on the Anafi?
If you accept, if not an ultrasonic altimeter sensor.
The pressure gauge is on the DJI machines, it can also be on the Anafi, but I'm not sure.
The GPS only works outdoors, keeping the altitude with the ultrasonic sensor indoors.
When landing, it detects the ground. Landing on your hand. Unfortunately, your hands are soft, so it’s harder to tell if you’ve got your hands on it. Soft materials absorb and do not bounce back ultrasound.

scroll down to here:
a23.jpg

That's the only reference, "Gigazine.net" ? Lol ! This is a loudspeaker, it's used after a crash to help you find your Anafi by producing an alarm like noise ! No way this is an ultrasonic sensor, it's well known that there no sensor to prevent collision on the Anafi, only the little vertical camera between the speaker and the fan, used to define precise home.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you must mix it up with another drone.

OK, my excuses ! And sorry to be the reason of the bad reputation of the Anafi community ;-) I see a mention of ultrasound sensor in the documentation ! If this sensor is really working, you have to agree that it's not really helpful in many cases ?

My point is that the altitude is often off by several meters when it comes to landing, here are two cases :

anafi_landing_elevation_issue_1.png

anafi_landing_elevation_issue_2.png

In both situations that's just before pressing the take off/landing button on the controller and in the hand. Look at the elevations... and I took care to stand EXACTLY at the same position at the hand launch and hand landing!

1st case the elevation is 3 meters less than the real position, the 2nd is 2 meters more, and I'd bet that it doesn't help to have a quick and easy hand landing.

you can have the Anafi come down on almost any surface and it will stop 30 cm above it. This is because of the ultrasonic sensor

That's the only reference, "Gigazine.net" ? Lol ! This is a loudspeaker, it's used after a crash to help you find your Anafi by producing an alarm like noise ! [...]

You know, some people TEST things, before they speak up ;-)
Do you really think Parrot is inserting a loudspeaker like this, when a little piezoelectric speaker can do the sound much better?
It is, however, near the "thing", that is mentioned as ultrasonic sensor.
But when you CLOSE it and still let the app search the bird, the sound is still there, coming out of the air outlets!

Last edited:
The Anafi has a lot of sensors, including a Barometer (that is set to ‘0’ when taking off from the ground... not sure of its setting when hand launching...), a GPS, a buzzer somewhere inside the guts of the bird (but not on the bottom of the Anafi) that beeps when you lose your drone and click on the ‘bell icon’ displayed on the top right corner of the map in FF6, an accelerometer, a magnetometer...
On the bottom you have 4 ‘things’ : The blue LED, the Cooling fan, the vertical camera, an Hybrid UltraSonic Sensor (proximity sensor that usually get distances in short ranges such as 0,2 to 4 meters). Contrary to the DJI drones that have 2 components to emit then detect proximity, the Anafi has a single hybrid component (see pix below)

The hand landing is a kind ‘software based’ mixture that takes into account informations coming from all the sensors.

The trick is to understand how this software interprets ‘I have my hand just below your @ss, you can land and cut the motors...’

The problem is with each release and modification of FF6, to guess the change they made on ‘how to hand land’...

889DA436-AB7C-4416-87C1-06385808C322.jpeg
46A7CBB0-2FEC-4E83-AD18-A16B2E3CDC1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: d95gas and Ana789
The Anafi has a lot of sensors, including a Barometer (that is set to ‘0’ when taking off from the ground... not sure of its setting when hand launching...), a GPS, a buzzer somewhere inside the guts of the bird (but not on the bottom of the Anafi) that beeps when you lose your drone and click on the ‘bell icon’ displayed on the top right corner of the map in FF6, an accelerometer, a magnetometer...
On the bottom you have 4 ‘things’ : The blue LED, the Cooling fan, the vertical camera, an Hybrid UltraSonic Sensor (proximity sensor that usually get distances in short ranges such as 0,2 to 4 meters). Contrary to the DJI drones that have 2 components to emit then detect proximity, the Anafi has a single hybrid component (see pix below)

The hand landing is a kind ‘software based’ mixture that takes into account informations coming from all the sensors.

The trick is to understand how this software interprets ‘I have my hand just below your @ss, you can land and cut the motors...’

The problem is with each release and modification of FF6, to guess the change they made on ‘how to hand land’...

View attachment 3955
View attachment 3957

Actually no buzzer - it send a high frequency signal in to the motor coils causing them to oscillate producing the sound.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem