Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

$40 to get 30-40% increase in range?

IRR

Reaction score
I thought I'd share this as it really has turned out to be an effective and cheap way to get better FPV and range out of the Anafi. I took a metal colander and removed the base and handles so it was just the bowl. I then cut it in half with a sawzall, made a notch for the controller, and attached a hinge one end and a clasp on the other. The two metal pieces you see on coming down off the back line up with each side of the controller handles. So once you attach your phone underneath and throw a rubber band around the bottom it's solidly in place. It doesn't budge at all. Then I used aluminum tape to cover the whole thing. All combined it was less than $40. It takes all of 5 seconds to take on and off as well.

I'll do some more testing, but based on previous flights from the exact same spot I'm seeing an increase in range of at least 30%. More importantly, I'm getting MUCH better FPV in areas with tons of WiFi interference which is where I fly 80% of the time. Here's a video where I got the Anafi out to 2 miles with no loss of FPV and plenty of WiFi signals to battle. I could have gone plenty further but didn't see the need to push it. At the end there's a short section of what it looks like with the controller attached.

If you have more questions about it, let me know. But I thought I'd share a simple, cheap and not-warranty-busting solution to help with connectivity.

Can you share how this mounted to controller with picture very clever though I doubt I would fly my anafi or any drone two miles away I cannot even see the little anafi at two hunderd feet without lights on it.

Forget my request I see what you did at the end of video very brave piloting

Last edited:
Reactions: IRR
Very interesting!
Could also use it to boil lunch ,blind on -lookers and signal for help from a search party...

All kidding aside,very interesting.Are you going to run some more tests?

Very interesting!
Could also use it to boil lunch ,blind on -lookers and signal for help from a search party...

All kidding aside,very interesting.Are you going to run some more tests?
Yes, and possibly with the FF6 life screen!?

I suppose you could have used a plastic colander that costs under 10 bucks at walmart and accomplished the same thing since the reflective tape is what helps direct the RF signals to the antenna. :unsure:
And it would have cut down on the weight :)
I have seen people use egg cartons to do the same with other UAV's.
It does work but flying VLOS the Anafi on its own does very well for me.

How did you manage to keep control that far away without line of sight? Two miles is a long long way trying to keep the reflector aimed at a 12" object.

Reactions: cdalmeida
I suppose you could have used a plastic colander that costs under 10 bucks at walmart and accomplished the same thing since the reflective tape is what helps direct the RF signals to the antenna. :unsure:
And it would have cut down on the weight :)
I have seen people use egg cartons to do the same with other UAV's.
It does work but flying VLOS the Anafi on its own does very well for me.

With the support arms affixed to the controller it's quite balanced and the weight is actually negligible. And since a metal dish is going to be better at reflecting the signal it's worth using that versus plastic or cardboard.

How did you manage to keep control that far away without line of sight? Two miles is a long long way trying to keep the reflector aimed at a 12" object.

While the reflector helps concentrate the signal, it doesn't require pin point accuracy when directing it at the drone. And it's obviously impossible to see from the video, but technically I still had the drone in line of sight. Just not visible to the human eye!

Reactions: Jasper68 and Thanev
Any system which increases the range is a great find!Not necessarily for the range,but less "drop-outs" due to more robust reception within visual line of sight.Look forward the hearing more about this one IRR...

Last edited:
Just some screen captures I managed to get off the video.

00f49878c5e26c102b45c538073de404.png

6509ac1e4a009648955add433fa7d3ca.png

c2d26a596398ef9977d65662bbec783f.png

ae29afa7ee96d52868f3edc29f45b849.png

My only concern is the weight on the antenna "arm"...?

Yep, that was a concern for me too. Once I post the pics of the bracing on the back you'll see the weight gets transferred to the back of the controller where you hold it an not to the arm of the antenna. Sort of hard to explain but it'll make more sense when you see it.

Reactions: Thanev
Ok! Makes total sence in what it does.
How much are you guys able to extend your range...at what point does video start to drop out?

Think I'll join you in your trials. wonder as to how much gain you can produce without increasing power.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood