Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

4K display, is it worth it?

ROBANAFI

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded to a 4K monitor after they got the ANAFI? Sounds like a daft question but is it worth upgrading from HD? I'm seriously thinking going 4K just for video and photo editing but wouldn't mind a bit of feedback/advice regarding the ANAFI and monitors.

Last edited:
I watch all my flights on a 65" Samsung. Once you get used to 4k, its hard to go back. 4k tvs are so cheap now. My $1500 tv sells for $588 now.

Reactions: ROBANAFI
Prices have come down a fair amount so I also have been considering this. What I plan on doing is taking a thumb drive with video and pictures to plug into different brands of TV's to see the difference.

4K is a great way to go, fully agree with Chasbro.
The prices have fallen steeply but for a 4K TV with good upscaling you still pay quite a bit.
For video editing one needs always the fastest computer and I'm using a MSI also with a 4k display.
When using the 65" TV I'm standing in the distance of just one Meter and can now see details that I could never see before.

A 4K TV is a good option but there isnt enough 4K TV for me to think about going down the 4K TV route. Especially when this is more for day to day video editing/viewing and photo editing, pretty sure my GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5 can handle that, i'm not sure what monitor to get though.

Bought an LG 27" UHD (I think model no. 27UD68) monitor close to 2 years ago and it has really changed things when it comes to photo and video editing!

It was well calibrated out of the box, other than adjusting the backlight levels - the colours were pretty accurate (sRGB).

I use an X-Rite i1 displaypro calibrating puk & software and I have not seen much drift in the monitor in that time.

It was the cheapest 4K monitor at the time, the stand was not as adjustable as the more expensive models and had less chrome/silver finishings, but the panel itself delivered the goods!!

Yes... I bought a 49 inch 4K LG TV soon after getting my Anafi and the picture quality is amazing. Definitely a good purchase.

When it comes to monitors, my main photo/video editing PC has a Dell 34 inch widescreen monitor 3440x1440 - great for many things but the matte finish makes it less appealing for videos. I enjoy watching my Anafi videos far more on my Dell XPS13 laptop which has a glossy display 3200x1800 and everything looks incredibly sharp.

So, the only advice I would give is .... 4K yes, (and glossy screen)

I got a refurb 4k monitor from monoprice a while back for 179.

Works great with my macbook pro’s thunderbolt 3 output.

Make sure your computer can actually output 4k.

HDMI needs to be the 1.4 version or later to do 4k , and 2.0 to do it at 60Hz, ideally you should use displayport or thunderbolt if you want to be sure you can use the higher resolutions at higher refresh rates. Lots of folks have issues with HDMI when they try 4K.

You’ll might find your computer can’t keep up with 4K video unless you have hardware accelerated h264 decoding in your video card.

I have a raspberry pi 4 that supports decoding h264 at 1080, but only does h265 video at 4k, so I need to transcode if I want playback at 4k. It also supports 4k displays at 60p over its HDMI output, but so far I’ve only gotten my monitor to do 30Hz on HDMI.

Has anyone upgraded to a 4K monitor after they got the ANAFI? Sounds like a daft question but is it worth upgrading from HD? I'm seriously thinking going 4K just for video and photo editing but wouldn't mind a bit of feedback/advice regarding the ANAFI and monitors.
Best site for TV monitor reviews/testing Reviews and Ratings The Vizio Quantum looks fantastic for the price...that one is on my list.
PC Monitor. I have a 32" 4k gaming monitor on my PC. If you upgrade your PC for 4K, make sure your graphics card can handle not only the resolution, but playback of full screen 4K.

I tried 4K directly on a Medion tv with the file on a USB stick. The video looked good until the drone made a turn and the tv made a "shimmy" image of it. So beware! If you go for a tv then take your video on a USB key and do a test in a shop on different tv's.

I tried 4K directly on a Medion tv with the file on a USB stick. The video looked good until the drone made a turn and the tv made a "shimmy" image of it. So beware! If you go for a tv then take your video on a USB key and do a test in a shop on different tv's.

That maybe due to the frame rate of the file being different from what the TV is set at.

Reactions: Quad808
Ok i'm going for the 27" catchy sounding 276E8VJSB made by Philips.

I got a refurb 4k monitor from monoprice a while back for 179.

Works great with my macbook pro’s thunderbolt 3 output.

Make sure your computer can actually output 4k.

HDMI needs to be the 1.4 version or later to do 4k , and 2.0 to do it at 60Hz, ideally you should use displayport or thunderbolt if you want to be sure you can use the higher resolutions at higher refresh rates. Lots of folks have issues with HDMI when they try 4K.

You’ll might find your computer can’t keep up with 4K video unless you have hardware accelerated h264 decoding in your video card.

I have a raspberry pi 4 that supports decoding h264 at 1080, but only does h265 video at 4k, so I need to transcode if I want playback at 4k. It also supports 4k displays at 60p over its HDMI output, but so far I’ve only gotten my monitor to do 30Hz on HDMI.

1570124387362.png
Its a 1yr old refurbished "gaming PC" that i got just for a bit more power than my old PC. i know the CPU is only a 3rd gen i5 but i have a GeForce GTX 1050Ti graphics card installed. I've done a bit of reading up on it and fingers crossed it works!

Thanks for all the advice everyone, delivery is tomorrow :)

That maybe due to the frame rate of the file being different from what the TV is set at.
No, if you use an USB stick the tv will always show it in the frame rate it is recorded in. On the other hand, if tou use a pc to display it you are correct.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem