Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

5Ghz flying

ParrotAnafiFan

Reaction score
Just tested flying on 5Ghz. You will receive 0-1 signal bars at 400ft straight up above your controller. At one point the bars showed a dashed line like this - for zero bars. I was surprised RTH did not kick in as suppose I still had full control and video.

Straight above is the worst possible position; the antennas on the feet of the anafi are mounted on a near vertical surface.

A better test would be to see how far you can go, although you will probably not be flying VLOS.

In the US the average backyard flyer is going to be going straight up vertical since BVLOS is not allowed, and they are banned at most town and city parks now.

Last edited:
In the US the average backyard flyer is going to be going straight up vertical since BVLOS is not allowed, and they are banned at most town and city parks now.
1. Aim the antenna at the drone to increase the range. Yes, point the antenna up. It is a directional antenna.
2. Try a different channel. People who leave their router alone will often default to the lowest channel; home routers looking for longest range will use highest. In a neighborhood with houses, your drone will often do better with something in the middle. Use Inssider or similar to look for the best channels. In uncrowded RF space, I get better range from 2.4GHz.
3. I like the Airmap app. It is also online ( AirMap Web App ) It tells you where you can fly with a minimum of fuss. None of the parks near me ban flying (Southeastern Massachusetts.)

There is a lot of mis-information on the web. For example, all the usual sites report that Mass state parks ban drones. They don't. There is a law banning manned take offs and landings in state parks and it seems to be mis-read to include UAVs. It doesn't. Ask a ranger (I did.) You still need to not fly over people, not spy on anyone, not bother the wildlife, not cause nuisance noise, obey the rules about the circle around airports, etc.
Good Luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame