Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Airplane Mode

Muck13

Reaction score
Hey pilots and operators,
To fly an Anafi with a SC3 and a phone, should I turn the Airplane Mode ON? and If I do, what effect will it have on my uplink to the drone and my GPS coordinates ?
Cheers for the feedback!

To fly an Anafi with a SC3 and a phone, should I turn the Airplane Mode ON? and If I do, what effect will it have on my uplink to the drone and my GPS coordinates ?
Cheers for the feedback!
I fly with airplane mode on, wifi and blue tooth off. Does not effect GPS.
Most of my smart devices don't even have sims so no cell service and they do fine
Download and cache maps prior to flying
It's best to have the least amount of interference around controller

Reactions: Muck13
I fly with airplane mode on, wifi and blue tooth off. Does not effect GPS.
Most of my smart devices don't even have sims so no cell service and they do fine
Download and cache maps prior to flying
It's best to have the least amount of interference around controller
Thank you so much for the tips,
how do you download and cache maps?

Last edited:
Cheers for the feedback!
When you are flying with the controller, it is communicating with the drone (it has its own WiFi) and the phone just supplies the GPS, the video and a barometer, if it has one. When you are flying with phone only, airplane mode has to be OFF so the phone can link to the drone via WiFi. Although I generally try to have airplane mode ON when using the SC3 to minimize interference, sometimes I forget and it doesn't seem to matter. I fly in an area with minimal interference, so worse areas may really need the Airplane mode on.

It helps to develop a habit pattern or use a checklist so you know exactly what to expect from the drone.
So to use phone with SC3:
Phone wifi OFF
Bluetooth OFF
Cellular OFF or switch to Airplane mode. There is some differences among phones as to what exactly Airplane mode does. Perhaps you only need to switch to Airplane mode to do all three.

For use with phone only:
WiFi ON (Airplane mode OFF) Now you have to use the phone to find and link to the Anafi with the password the first time.
Bluetooth OFF

The App seems to be smart enough to refuse incoming calls...at least I have never had an incoming call screw up any of my flights in three years.

When you are flying with the controller, it is communicating with the drone (it has its own WiFi) and the phone just supplies the GPS, the video and a barometer, if it has one. When you are flying with phone only, airplane mode has to be OFF so the phone can link to the drone via WiFi. Although I generally try to have airplane mode ON when using the SC3 to minimize interference, sometimes I forget and it doesn't seem to matter. I fly in an area with minimal interference, so worse areas may really need the Airplane mode on.

It helps to develop a habit pattern or use a checklist so you know exactly what to expect from the drone.
Phone wifi OFF
Bluetooth OFF
Cellular OFF or switch to Airplane mode. There is some differences among phones as to what exactly Airplane mode does. Perhaps you only need to switch to Airplane mode to do all three.

For use with phone only:
WiFi ON (Airplane mode OFF) Now you have to use the phone to find and link to the Anafi with the password the first time.
Bluetooth OFF

The App seems to be smart enough to refuse incoming calls...at least I have never had an incoming call screw up any of my flights in three years.
Awesome extensive feedback, thank you for taking the time.
I've received calls during flights before - hadn't turned on the Airpane Mode - but it didn't interrupt the video feed or hamper the uplink I didn't pick up, though I have no idea how FF6 would've behaved if I had picked up!

I always use the airplane mode.
It's not very pleasant when I'm composing a video scene and a pop-up message interrupts me.

After switching on airplane mode, it is also possible to switch back to WiFi or bluetooth.
GPS is not affected by airplane mode, because it is just a passive reception mode without transmission.

I always use the airplane mode.
It's not very pleasant when I'm composing a video scene and a pop-up message interrupts me.

After switching on airplane mode, it is also possible to switch back to WiFi or bluetooth.
GPS is not affected by airplane mode, because it is just a passive reception mode without transmission.
Cheers Gipsz, always cool to understand how and why those machines behave the way they do.

Phone wifi OFF
Bluetooth OFF

For use with phone only:
Bluetooth OFF

Hi, Is there a built in function or supported plugin that can provide information regarding if "flight mode" on device is activated or not? In app I need to know when flight mode is activated even if wi-fi is on. Thank you.

Hi, Is there a built in function or supported plugin that can provide information regarding if "flight mode" on device is activated or not? In app I need to know when flight mode is activated even if wi-fi is on. Thank you.
Why do I need an app? When you pull down the shutter on your phone or tablet, the settings pop up and you can see if airplane mode is active or not.

A small airplane pictogram appears in the top status bar of most devices, and the reception strength indicator disappears...

Need more than that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood