Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Amazon Anafi FPV purchase disaster.

Saladshooter

Reaction score
So I've been wanting one of the Anafi FPV drones for awhile now..... I really don't use the FPV function in the Freeflight 6 app that often but I like the new airframe that the Anafi FPV has and have been looking for one at a good price. So finally the other day Amazon listed a used one as "Like New - Original Packaging Will Come Damaged" for $540. My thought was to buy the package and sell off the backpack, the Cockpitglasses, controller and battery as I already have a small Air Force of Anafi drones and don't need all the extras..... that way I could own the Anafi FPV for only a small investment.

I quickly hit the buy button and waited the 5 days it took to arrive from California. The package finally arrived on Tuesday in a plain brown cardboard box with Amazon tape sealing the edges. Inside was the Anafi FPV backpack, without any of the original packaging.... no pretty white box. It looks new, other than being out of the package. Next I open the backpack and inside is the layout that you would expect if you have seen pictures of its interior. The Cockpitglasses look new and are all sealed up in their bag. But that is where the goodness ended.

I take one look at the Anafi inside the backpack and I knew it wasn't an FPV model as it had the distinctive legs of the original Anafi. Next I notice that most of the props are broken. I take the drone out of the case and see the gimbal is broken and the right front arm has been rebuilt using superglue. The arm was so badly glued back together, that it won't even open. At that point I knew what some unscrupulous individual had done.... they had purchased a new Anafi FPV package and switched the drone inside with their own crashed one. They even took it to the next level and switched the sticker with the serial number inside the drone to match the serial number inside the backpack.... when looking closely you could see the edge of the serial number was peeled up.

A quick call to Amazon confirmed what I already knew.... because this is a used warehouse item, there was no replacement available and my only recourse is a refund. So I dried my tears, packed it back up and gave the box back to the UPS driver.....sigh.

• Sad
Reactions: BRC
that's too bad..
keep checking Best Buy stores around holidays usually deep discounts
If I remember correctly, fathers day new Anafi were on sale

Already found another one used.... so hopefully my first world woes are over. This one actually belonged to someone so it comes with a pile of extras like batteries all for the same price as thew last one..... coming today via the UPS truck.

I recently asked here about differing flight characteristics between original Anafi and the new FPV model..... consensus from the few folks that own them was that there was no real difference, but I like the new style and legs plus the hardware is a year newer so now I will be able to give my own opinion. I promise to make a post as soon as I put the Anafi FPV through its paces next to my older Anafi.

Reactions: Alphaman and BRC
Have you had a chance to test out your new FPV version?
In only a limited way.... its been really cold and windy for the last few weeks. I fly almost every day but sometimes its just for a few minutes.

I do believe that the Anafi FPV is a bit more stable in the wind. I don't think it gets pushed up and down as much by wind gusts.

I now have an Anafi FPV with a broken gimbal as well that I am rebuilding.. The camera is the same as the classic Anafi but it is in a different shell and uses a different internal weight system. It is unclear to me if the new camera setup makes much of a difference. The gimbal is different in that it mounts with two more screws, beyond that the gimbal and its motors seem the same.

These are just quick observations.... I will be putting out a separate post once I have thoroughly tested the original and FPV models side by side., but it may be some time yet until I can make real conclusions.

Thanks for the reply. It's so strange how Parrot has handled the documentation on these drones and at one point turned me off their products because I couldn't be sure what was what.

I JUST returned an Anafi Extended package that I was able to purchase for $600. I returned it after reading about concerns with software versions, drones falling out of the sky, and issues with the battery supposedly misrepresenting the amount of charge left.

I kind of regret it since it's the only reasonably priced drone that has 180° gimbal. Also, I was very attracted to the fact that, I think, it doesn't force you into geofencing like DJI does.

Then again I'm attracted to the DJI mini 2 for it's occusync, seemingly more stable firmware, preference on sleeker looking controller/drone design, and what appears to be batteries that don't require as much intentional maintenance.

I would greatly appreciate you thoughts on any of those points.

Thanks for the reply. It's so strange how Parrot has handled the documentation on these drones and at one point turned me off their products because I couldn't be sure what was what.

I JUST returned an Anafi Extended package that I was able to purchase for $600. I returned it after reading about concerns with software versions, drones falling out of the sky, and issues with the battery supposedly misrepresenting the amount of charge left.

I kind of regret it since it's the only reasonably priced drone that has 180° gimbal. Also, I was very attracted to the fact that, I think, it doesn't force you into geofencing like DJI does.

Then again I'm attracted to the DJI mini 2 for it's occusync, seemingly more stable firmware, preference on sleeker looking controller/drone design, and what appears to be batteries that don't require as much intentional maintenance.

I would greatly appreciate you thoughts on any of those points.
I have had good luck with my Anafi Extended, and so far my Anafi FPV. I am trying to change to the Anafi FPV airframe just because I like the new style, not for any real performance reason.... for all intents the hardware is the same in both. What I find great about ANAFI is the one button video modes like the Dolly Zoom, Follow Me and others. It also has a built in Waypoints and FPV mode.

I also have the DJI Mini 2. It is superior in hardware.... locks on satellites faster and keeps them, the range is unbelievable, and it handles wind as well as the ANAFI at a weight that is 80 plus grams less. It is a backpackers dream..... I carry the drone, controller, and three batteries plus my lens filters in a case that is 9in x 7in x 3in so it is the one I carry when hiking.

The Mini 2 is currently lacking Follow Me, Waypoints, and FPV modes... though I am confident they will eventually be provided by either DJI or a third party app.

I think battery maintenance is the same for either drone.... they both auto discharge to storage levels after a few days. Battery price is much better for Mini 2.

I do have a soft spot for the ANAFI and like to fly it when I am flying at medium range and want some unique footage. My Mavic 2 Zoom handles the long range cinematic shots and the Mini 2 goes everywhere with me for portability.... the Mini 2 shines in situations where you don't know you needed a drone. Its very portable and deploys quickly.

I hope this helps..

I apologize for the delayed response. Your post was very helpful; thank you for the taking the time to respond.

The dolly zoom is one of the features that attracts me to the Anafi. It seems like you could get some really cool shots with that feature. Someone told me that the Mini 2 can zoom as well, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. Is there a zoom on the mini 2?

Your comments about the compact nature of the mini 2 surprise me since I didn't think it was much more compact than the Anafi. I know the Anafi is a little longer but I thought it was a lot thinner. What do you think makes it better for backpacking?

Thanks again for your time and comments.

Mini 2 can zoom.... but if you want to perform a dolly zoom you would have to be an expert on the sticks, while Anafi has a dedicated dolly zoom function you just hit a button to perform.

As for backpacking, the reason I like the Mini 2 over the Anafi is that it fits in a case that is 7in x 9in x 3in with the controller, my filters and three batteries. I can't come close to that size with the Anafi.

IMG_3632.JPGIMG_3631.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davecat44