Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi 360 panoramas broken

Regling

Reaction score
Hi, I received a replacement anafi and tested doung 6 360deg panoramas yesterday - downloaded and processed by the freeflight 6 app. The drone and the batteries received the latest fw updates.

I made screenshots from problematic areas on each pano, and it seems there wasn't even one without issues.

Am I missing something? The wind was 2-3m/s.

Screenshot_20200901-100646_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200901-100616_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200901-100551_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200901-100530_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200901-100500_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200901-100431_Gallery.jpg

Try to stitch the files on a pc with ICE for a test. It might just be that the wind was a bit up, where the bird was. In case that ICE is doing better, with land in the pictures, try again some spheres without a water horizon line! Ice isn't perfect, so it is also having "hard times" with a lot of water in the pictures. Anyway, I think that there was more wind up there, as 3m/s. And probably choppy!
fingers crossed

The second panorama was 35m above sea level and there was a very slight breeze. All in all, all the panos rendered less than ideal. I will look into ICE again but last time I didn't see 360 pano option there.

"Put " the pictures in ICE and stitch them.
After the "flat Pano" option is "Spherical", that will get you a 2:1 picture, which would show in Theta on the PC, or on Kuula or other websites, the Sphere to scroll around in.
Stereographic would be the "Little planet / Wormhole" option.
There are a couple of nice You tube videos out, explaining it very well.

But to see the stitching quailty, you just need to stitch, perhaps move the picture to the left or the right.
ICE has often "holes" in "only water pictures", but in case the photos are good (then the App/fw didn't do it well ;-), minimum the part with ground and connection to left and right side should fit (better)
Are that always the same pictures (position/number of the 42?), which have this trouble?

If you winzip or winrar all your photos and upload it to something like your google drive I would be happy to test them out in some of my programs latter tonight or tomorrow when I find some time.

Reactions: BRC
Try to stitch the files on a pc with ICE for a test. It might just be that the wind was a bit up, where the bird was. In case that ICE is doing better, with land in the pictures, try again some spheres without a water horizon line! Ice isn't perfect, so it is also having "hard times" with a lot of water in the pictures. Anyway, I think that there was more wind up there, as 3m/s. And probably choppy!
fingers crossed
That's a very good suggestion. I tried ICE without much success and autopano giga which had troubles too.

ice1.PNG

A side question, shouldn't the "sky part", above the horizon be "full of sky"? Since 360 pano is supposed to be with proportion 2:1 and anafi captures full vertical panoramas.

ice2.png

If you winzip or winrar all your photos and upload it to something like your google drive I would be happy to test them out in some of my programs latter tonight or tomorrow when I find some time.
Your help is very much appreciated, thank you! I will send you a google drive link.

I ran a couple of them through PanoramaStudio 3 Pro. To me it looks like your not getting enough over lap. This seems to be causing missing sections in your photo (big holes). I tried several different settings and even tried to use photoshop to fill in some mistakes but they still did not come out very well. Did your first Anafi have this problem? Is your phone fast enough?
Sorry but I am at a loss.

View attachment New Panorama1B.jpg

Reactions: Regling
This one here was probably the best one that came out. Still something did not line up.
RoFZAU4.jpg

That's a very good suggestion. I tried ICE without much success and autopano giga which had troubles too.

But in Giga, can you arrange them by yourself for a better outcome?
Trying to "put" the pictures by hand where they belong?

And can you find a spot somewhere, perhaps a park in a city, where you have lots of "lines/contrast" on horizon, also can fly the bird just 10 or 20m up for the Sphere?
So you can watch the birds movement, perhaps video it?
If the bird does not have to fight for position, it could be the gimbal stabilisation, sometimes?

This one here was probably the best one that came out. Still something did not line up.
RoFZAU4.jpg

But that "not lining up" is on the sea part, the picture on the right, that connects to the left, right?
I got to Giga after I had a lot of these, once, when ICE couldn't find the horizon line. And all over sea.
To me, this one is not concerning. The other, "breaking parts" out on pictures with land in it, is usually "a thing".
Which I know only from heavy windwarning days.

Oh, btw: Since my Anafi fell down, I am using the Air2.
The auto Sphere generation there has this problem, too.
Over water!
Even with ICE handling most of it, almost every Sphere stitched from the bird, with water horizon in it, has misalignments !
Just never on the landparts.
There it must be an algorithm thing, who knows better as the bird, where to put every picture?

So in case OP can rule out wind/movement of the Anafi, I'd say the gimbal has problems to hold position.
Would be from interest, if this misalignment comes always with the same pictures of the 42.
Lets say, it is always picture 10, or 15, or ...., on several Spheres.
And is it in the vertical and horizontal panos, too?

I can say I have had misaligned Spheres but not to the extent the OP is having. I have found it can happen anywhere. Over forest or water. Usually one or two bad spots that can be corrected using Photoshop.

This is the second set of 42 images. I used image detection setting "very high" I tried using the "focal length from EXIF" and with out. Both results of the final photo was not even close to a Pano 360Screenshot (2).png

Now the third Pano (42 photos) came out not to bad except for the missing chunk on the building. There was no photo to align for that section so the program just guessed and filled it in the best it could. It's funny how some come close and others are so miss matched.

dsyasFs.jpg

The next set of 42 images. Again two spots where there no over lap.

Untitled.png

And again the program tried its best to fill in the gaps but they were just to large to make a good photo.

oivbskm.jpg

OP need really to rule out hefty moving of the bird.
With new 360's and vertical/horizontal Panos would be my choice

Aside that the series, the pictures got taken, is known (pic 1, 2, 3, ..., ..., 42), it would be of interest, if this missing pieces can be filled, arranging them by hand, on Giga.

Last edited:
I had the cance today to do only three horisontal panos:
View attachment IMG-6fd98971c8642fd6c130f6a7320b50cc-V.jpg
View attachment IMG-c90d8212932526c1669e2b96026eef3d-V.jpg
View attachment IMG-6fd98971c8642fd6c130f6a7320b50cc-V.jpg
We can see a pattern there.

One other issue, but I will search for the related topic here - the connection was lost (videofeed disappeared), I was flying los and managed to get back the drone safely. The issue is, even in 30 meters away, the videofeed was not restored.

I've created panoramas since the late 1990s. Here are my two cents on what is happening.

Modern panorama creation software aligns the images by creating future points in each image and then trying to match the features the software finds in the overlapping areas of the images. This can be problematic in images of surface waters where there are waves as the waves move and will not be in the same positions in adjacent images. Another problem area is visually flat areas such as cloudless skies. I think the sitiching program for Parrot also uses the yaw and pitch information the Parrot writes in each image. This helps for general alignment but there will always be some inexactness.

I think you will find the result should be pretty good in situations where you are fairly distant from all subjects (to avoid parallax errors) and there are unique features in the overlapping areas of the images.

What I would suggest if you are really interested in doing more panoramas of oceans is to try the free stitcher Hugin, or the paid PTGui (pricey unless you are doing panoramas for a living). If you are going to shoot a lot of panoramas, I hate to do this on a Parrot forum, I'd recommend a drone where you can mount one of the split back-to-back single shot cameras on it. You have seen these cameras, they consist of two back to back fisheye lens cameras and each camera takes a 180 degree+ photo and you have only two photos to stitch together. They come with stitching programs of their own. You end up mounting one camera on top of the drone facing up and the second one on the bottom facing down. You can even make 360 degree videos from such rigs and then edit the view you want later.

Dave, thanks for the explanation.
But this looks (to me) really like there is a "major" misaligning during DOING the shot.
Which I just know from heavy wind days, when the bird sometimes even needs a while, till it takes the next shot. Not all sponanious "kicks" can be corrected by the gimbal.
Over water, no clouds, this can happen always, and Hugin, or Giga, or other programs you can move the single pictures in position, are really helpful for correcting this.

That is why i asked the OP if he could move the picture to a fitting position in Giga.
And looking at his last 3 pictures: It really seems there is a pattern, that even in structured areas of the Pano, for always the same picture (I forgot the sequence on horizontal panos, but it looks like the pictures on the top right are misaligning), or two pictures, the cam is not set like it should!

I think , that OP needs to change the bird again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut