Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi fell from the sky to an inaccessible spot on its 8th voyage. log file attached

t_parrot

Reaction score
Lost it on Aug28th along the Mogollon Rim in Arizona... It was my 8th flight with the original battery and had around 16% battery left when it started its auto RTH. It was at 11% when I stopped it because I could hear it but didn't have a great feel for where it was, so wanted to drive it in myself to be sure to avoid trees... I saw it when it was still up pretty high up and a little way out over a canyon we were on the edge of. I pointed it out to the other guy I was with who asked where it was, and he saw it too. I then started to drop it straight down (unfortunately rather than bringing it over us) and noticed I was at 9% batter. It was well in eye sight descending at maybe a 20 degree line of sight when we both watched it just seize up and fall into a deep canyon...

There was no way to retrieve it. Very unstable steep rocky hillside.

So I've uploaded the log file. Anybody know how to read it?

I have the controller and bag and props. Will this be of any interest to anybody since I have no drone for it anymore?

Attachments

• log-f8acf170-52f6-40be-bb76-e02ebe0843c2.zip
    21.9 KB · Views: 7
  • screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
sorry to hear this.... i did try to open file but was unable to
sounds like you just ran out of juice
if you want to try to upload json file again I'll try to open again

It is stored in your phone in FF6
Tap on My Parrot at bottom of screen
next screen under my flights - right hand side will list all your flights
if you tap the upload icon to the right of flight you can email the json file
So all that being said - you're probably not going to find it
if your doomed flight did not complete its flight due to crash or power loss it will not register that flight on phone
But you may want to check anyway -
Best of Luck

You are correct. The doomed flight record is not there.. So it was my bad for not expecting to lose power with around 10% of battery left, right?

Hard to say... motors should not shut down at 10%, especially with new battery
there is some intelligence programmed into these to calculate when to start RTH
along with auto landing, etc, based on distance, altitude, wind speed, etc
That may have been interrupted when you took back control of drone.
You were also over a canyon - I dont know if that factors in as it looks at ground level from the point of take off
You have nothing to lose by opening a warranty ticket with parrot support as a lost drone
Good Luck

Thanks. Any tips for how to contact them? Only thing on their support page is a phone number (aka torture)

Parrot Customer Support in US
1 (877) 972-7768
They are pretty good at answering calls - I think option 6
not so good after you fill out their email response
It's worse if you have no flight log or drone as case will need to be sent to HQ for review
process could take several months.
They did honor a warranty claim for me for a lost drone, so was worth the effort

Oh ok. I did fill out the form but a phone call won't have a chance til next week.. I didn't buy from them directly so maybe it's a longer shot for me? Thanks again.

I don't think it was your fault. Myself I always try to land around 50% but this is because I cycle 3 batteries and I store them at 50% as well so I would not need to recharge after flying. But you would expect 10% to still work

the only mistake (we all do this sometimes) was flying without visual line of sight I guess, the battery dying is not on you IMO

Wow this is a bit disconcerting. I just landed mine at 5% and the prior flight was about the same.

Last edited:
Very interesting sir, as I experienced the exact same problem on labor day weekend ALSO IN ARIZONA! I had 2 batteries and wanted to take some last shots and it had around 15% battery in my hand so I was like hey why not? And did a hand launch only for it to die literally 1 second after takeoff back into my hand! So as I've said before these smart batteries are cool in theory but are really stupid in actuality because all the fancy tech in these "smart batteries" is actually just creating another part that can and does CONSTANTLY fail and also the batteries seam to be overcharging and undercharging as I tested a few that I used down to around 20-30% and even though the batteries are rated at 2700mah they were charging well over 2850mah so add that to the 20-30% charge something is wrong here....also if you did not buy it from a direct seller like amazon or best buy or any other big chain store in other words if you have no proof of purchase then they won't open a lost drone report I bought mine used also so I'm in the same boat....it's a shame it has so much potential but right now it's a fancy boomerang for me because I ALWAYS have to be ready to sprint and catch it! And that's not even because of battery issues...p.s. if you don't get another anafi and still have the case for the anafi I would be interested as mine came without one. Thanks!

Also I forgot to mention that heat plays a big role as it was well over 100 I also noticed that after the battery died it didn't start charging until 9 hours after I connected it as I was camping so the "safety feature" has to wait for the battery to cool down and since the ambient temperature was around 100 then it didn't start charging until sunset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame