Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi lost and found

Reconnaissance Squadron

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This morning one of my Anafis came down short on an emergency RTH. I managed to get myself into a position to see it begin to descend. This was extremely lucky as there didn't appear to be any connection back to my phone. It was about 300 metres away, too far away for anybody who didn't know what to look for to identify it as a drone at all. I myself couldn't identify it as my drone except for the fact that the little grey speck was exactly on the return flight path and moving at the speed I was expecting. The problem was that it was moving DOWN, not towards me. There was no contact on my phone but I thought I might as well at least try to control it. The only thing I could do was to try to coax it forward, closer to me, and as I judged it clear of the tree it was perilously close to. It was obvious that it wasn't going to make it significantly further but I could see it pass in front of the tree. Great, it won't be in the tree, that will do, I could now let it come down near the tree. Using the last milliamps to take it further from the tree at the risk of running out of power and falling out of the sky would be silly so I let it float down and land. I then had to go and find it.

It was in a field. Good. But it wasn't the field I was in or a field I should be in. Not so good. I didn't have time to do anything other than to go there and see if I could find it before anybody else did or before it lost the last traces of battery power or before a cow stood on it. It is a lot easier to find a drone that is still powered up, even if it on the dregs of its battery. I drove around to a place I knew I could get closer to it, to the edge of the field it was in. I then deployed my other Anafi on a rescue mission!

This wasn't quite as successful as I hoped. I couldn't find it. The grass was quite tussocky and decorated with cowpats, but at least there were no animals in the field at that moment. The next generation of drones should have adaptive squid camouflage, sky coloured when you want them not to be spotted and bright pulsating reds and oranges when they are in trouble or have crashed. Looking at the video now on my big screen I did spot it in the grass, but I didn't at the time. At one point the searching Anafi must have been within two metres of the downed Anafi, that is one metre above and no more than one metre away! Anyway, Plan A didn't work so I decided that I just had to get in the field and line myself up between the tree (it was that one, or was it that one?) and the spot that I had seen it come down from. I checked the Wi-Fi that my phone could receive, no sign of the Anafi from outside the field, that wasn't a surprise as I expected the Anafi would be in the grass, very close to the ground.

I looked at my phone and it was telling me where my Anafi was last seen! Great! I just needed to get myself to that position. The Google Maps map looked good, this was very close. Of course it was very close, it was reporting where the rescuing Anafi was last seen. But not quite, it was a few metres off, further into the field in what looked like a very credible position for the lost Anafi. :poop: A waste of time. The downed Anafi would be losing power. Fortunately, I was now in the field when I checked my Wi-Fi status again and this time YES! I could see a signal labelled ANAFI. The signal was faint but it was still alive. I walked in what I thought would be the right direction and looked at the signal again, it was stronger! I checked one last time to line myself up between the tree and my observation position and I walked closer to the tree ... and there it was! I scooped it up, kissed it, as is traditional, and got myself out of the field again before I was challenged on what I was doing.

Despite it being really early in the morning I was dripping in sweat, probably far more from nervousness than exertion.

Lesson learned, don't attempt to do a 360-degree Panorama at a distance and at less than 45% battery level.

If I hadn't have found it within a couple of minutes I would have tried the last approach of connecting up the controller again (I was carrying the controller for the downed Anafi) and seeing if I could see anything from the camera or make it start-up in any way. By rebooting the app and the controller there is a good chance that a new connection could be made. If my phone could see the signal the controller would most likely have a much better contact because it hasn't been designed to pretend that it doesn't need an antenna at all to make a radio connection.

I have previous experience of finding a downed drone using the Anafi but that was my Alpine White Mavic Pro, white things are much easier to find in the grass than spindly dark grey things. Indeed it was the white eyeball of the camera that I spotted on the downed Anafi this morning. The dark grey of the body and arms just doesn't show up well on the ground.

Last edited:
Great you found it. I thought 360 panos would not work when the battery was that low?
Also the Anafi has the buzzer\peeper option that might have helped finding it.

I am glad that you found it undamaged. How much battery did it say was left when you got it back?

I have thought about fitting a dayglo skin to mine in case of such an eventuality but it may make it too visible to onlookers in the air and attract attention to itself. Perhaps dayglo on the top and sky blue, or grey for the normal weather here in the North West UK, may be better and still be visible on the ground and in vegetation.

I can't be sure what the battery level was I just remember thinking to myself that I shouldn't have started it after the screen went black. The awkward part was thinking that it was the golden hour, the 360-degree panorama would be amazing, it just needs a bit of time to complete. I just need to wait until it completes then I press RTH, or it will do it by itself if it isn't in contact. How long to wait...

Probably too long!

I have thought about fitting a dayglo skin to mine in case of such an eventuality but it may make it too visible to onlookers in the air and attract attention to itself. Perhaps dayglo on the top and sky blue, or grey for the normal weather here in the North West UK, may be better and still be visible on the ground and in vegetation.

Yes, that makes sense, the upper side shouldn't be very visible to onlookers but it would be visible when it is on the ground. I have got some Day-Glo yellow tape, but it is a bit heavy duty, it would be like putting tractor tyres on a Lotus.

I ordered the set Parrot Anafi - Skin - Carbon Orange at Dankla Skin's
Very good en fast service en not expensive.

I will try to only attach the skin to the bottom because this is the side that you see most when flying. On my battery's there is my registration number and the words 'ANAFI'

Hope to see my Anafi very good with this skin en (hopefully not) when it's 'lost' :unsure:

I would at least put some skin on the top of the legs for the reason RS outlined above. I am going to do just that right now! I also only put DayGlo tape on the front of the bird so I can determine its heading from further away.

I find the shape of the Anafi quite distinctive enough to tell me which way it is facing. I doubt colour will make much of a difference as against a bright sky all drones appear to be dark grey, even my white Mavics! Where I fly the sky is often a fairly uniformly pale grey and backlit by the sun which we trust is up there somewhere. I think a bit of colour on the arms might have the desired effect of increasing visibility if it lands/crashes out of direct sight. As you can see from my avatar I have a stripe of colour on my batteries, I use sky colours. Unfortunately, the one which was on when it came down was the pale grey battery, the bright blue would have been much easier to spot in the grass. I have now decided that the grey battery has let me down one time too many so I will relegate it to indoor and pedestrian uses such as powering the Anafi when I am taking files off it, processing panoramas, calibrations, updating firmware and such like, or perhaps for checking what is on the other side of a hedge or flying low over flowers. It has flown its last proper mission.

I find the shape of the Anafi quite distinctive enough to tell me which way it is facing. I doubt colour will make much of a difference as against a bright sky all drones appear to be dark grey, even my white Mavics! Where I fly the sky is often a fairly uniformly pale grey and backlit by the sun which we trust is up there somewhere. I think a bit of colour on the arms might have the desired effect of increasing visibility if it lands/crashes out of direct sight. As you can see from my avatar I have a stripe of colour on my batteries, I use sky colours. Unfortunately, the one which was on when it came down was the pale grey battery, the bright blue would have been much easier to spot in the grass. I have now decided that the grey battery has let me down one time too many so I will relegate it to indoor and pedestrian uses such as powering the Anafi when I am taking files off it, processing panoramas, calibrations, updating firmware and such like, or perhaps for checking what is on the other side of a hedge or flying low over flowers. It has flown its last proper mission.

I was up flying this afternoon making only 360 panos with one battery. I found that a 360 degree pano takes 11-12% of the battery. It doesn't matter if I starting with 90% power left or if there is only 35% left.

Yes I would definitely discard that battery. It will never get in the air again if it was mine.

Regards, Leif.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320