Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi lost in the woods, did not return from a mission

Regling

Reaction score
I updated to the latest software/ firnware and also the batteries updates showed up so I did that too. Then I made a successful mission, 120m height. That was my 99th flight. The sceenshot with the graphs is from this mission.

So, I decided to try another mission in different direction, but 65 meters high and lost signal in the 1/3 flight. The red mark is where the signal was lost. It was in the woods and bushes, hard to reach area, but I searched for it. I also looked for it on the route and noticed a lot of high power poles and wires.
My advice to anyone making missions to actually inspect/know the area where they pkan the missions.
In the end of the day I was not able to find the my Anafi.
So now I have the rest of the combo, batts and remote, what are my options buying just a drone?

Attachments

• 20200517_181006.jpg
    20200517_181006.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20200517-200724_FreeFlight 6.jpg
    Screenshot_20200517-200724_FreeFlight 6.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20200517-195905_FreeFlight 6.jpg
    Screenshot_20200517-195905_FreeFlight 6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
I updated to the latest software/ firnware and also the batteries updates showed up so I did that too. Then I made a successful mission, 120m height. That was my 99th flight. The sceenshot with the graphs is from this mission.

So, I decided to try another mission in different direction, but 65 meters high and lost signal in the 1/3 flight. The red mark is where the signal was lost. It was in the woods and bushes, hard to reach area, but I searched for it. I also looked for it on the route and noticed a lot of high power poles and wires.
My advice to anyone making missions to actually inspect/know the area where they pkan the missions.
In the end of the day I was not able to find the my Anafi.
So now I have the rest of the combo, batts and remote, what are my options buying just a drone?

Losing signal is perfectly fine on a flightplan. Did you wait for the plan ETA to lapse before going off to search for it?

Reactions: Regling
Losing signal is perfectly fine on a flightplan. Did you wait for the plan ETA to lapse before going off to search for it?
Sure, I waited +5min after the expected time and then I knew a rescue mission was needed.

Sorry for the lose of your Anafi. It is very rare for it not to return to home during a Flight Plan. It is possible you had some kind of failure like a broken prop. Also bird strikes are very possible. I really do not think the power lines had anything to do with it. I fly by the ones close to me a lot and have never had a problem with any of my UAV's. Unless you where to low and hit one then yes they would be a problem.

Reactions: highanddry
Well I agree there must be a reason for it to not returning home. The difficult part in this case is that I lost signal at 1/3 of the route, quite unfortunately. Also, after it didn't return on the expected time mark I was quick to get to the area where the signal was marked lost in case the signal could be restored. In case of a crash the battery could be disconnected so the chance was small, but still..

Anyways, I did already accept the kia situation.

Many variables involved.
Wind direction and speed are major factors.
Was the drone flying with the wind on its way out? If that's the case, on its way back in, it will be flying against that wind.

The flightplan doesn't look so big, that the battery will reached the limits.
Uncomfortable we didn't know, what the update for the battery included and how will be e. g. an earlier RTH effected any flightplan :(

Parrot responded to my question about the battery firmware, and what did the firmware upgrade do. The answer was simply

"For the battery update the battery firmware has been updated to ensure a more accurate estimation of the remaining energy in the battery"

I am guessing from the few issues we have had over the last 10 days or so since 1.6.8, that they have not got it perfectly right yet.

Parrot responded to my question about the battery firmware, and what did the firmware upgrade do. The answer was simply

"For the battery update the battery firmware has been updated to ensure a more accurate estimation of the remaining energy in the battery"

I am guessing from the few issues we have had over the last 10 days or so since 1.6.8, that they have not got it perfectly right yet.
When I had originally updated FW 1.6.4, think in February, I saw in FF6 where the batteries were being updated and it prompted to insert additional batteries as necessary
I had also updated all FW since that release, including 1.6.8, but i did not see any battery FW being updated, nor did it prompt me to inset additional batteries.
Do you know if this was happening in the background?

Sure, I waited +5min after the expected time and then I knew a rescue mission was needed.

Out of interest have you walked the flightplan? Even if it came down due to a mechanical and/or object collision, it would have been on the flightplan route when it occurred.

Out of interest have you walked the flightplan? Even if it came down due to a mechanical and/or object collision, it would have been on the flightplan route when it occurred.
Yes it was quite a walk through the woods, bushes, thorns and a narrow river. I assume it crashed and the battery got disconnected because I had my remote/phone on and the connection was never restored. The other option is that maybe it flew away, but without connection I will never know. There were some very thick bushy areas where I could easily miss it.

Anyways, I am over it now and started considering mavic air 2.

[QUOTE = "Regling, post: 33781, miembro: 4942"]
Actualicé el último software / firnware y también aparecieron las actualizaciones de baterías, así que también lo hice. Luego hice una misión exitosa, 120m de altura. Ese fue mi vuelo número 99. El sceenshot con los gráficos es de esta misión.

Entonces, decidí intentar otra misión en una dirección diferente, pero a 65 metros de altura y perdí la señal en el vuelo 1/3. La marca roja es donde se perdió la señal. Estaba en el bosque y los arbustos, área difícil de alcanzar, pero lo busqué. También lo busqué en la ruta y noté muchos postes y cables de alta potencia.
Mi consejo para cualquiera que realice misiones para inspeccionar / conocer el área donde realizan las misiones.
Al final del día no pude encontrar mi Anafi.
Entonces, ahora tengo el resto del combo, las baterías y el control remoto, ¿cuáles son mis opciones para comprar solo un dron?
[/CITAR]
ParacaSomething similar happened to me and I was able to recover it with the Google parrot app you could prove it if there's luck

Ok, I am interested, what do you mean "recover it with the Google parrot app"? Can you share more details?

Amazon has (of had) some renewed units for $415. That's what I did. That's for the whole kit.
That's a good suggestion, but I looked at the current "Used - Good" items on amazon.co.uk and they have "Medium (less than 1" x 1") cosmetic imperfection on the front of the item."
What does that mean I wonder, the front of the item is where the camera is. Is it a gamble what you will receive if you order such item, since there are no actual photos?

Last edited:
Yes it was quite a walk through the woods, bushes, thorns and a narrow river. I assume it crashed and the battery got disconnected because I had my remote/phone on and the connection was never restored. The other option is that maybe it flew away, but without connection I will never know. There were some very thick bushy areas where I could easily miss it.

Anyways, I am over it now and started considering mavic air 2.
Actually I will spend some time on research before buying a dji drone.
I had, and I intend to always fly legally, but dji provides DJI Aeroscope with which your flight and your location can be monitored in real time, and it is possible to interfere with the flight. This is useful against criminal drones but I always fly legally and I would like to have my flights private.

[QUOTE = "Regling, post: 33882, miembro: 4942"]
Ok, estoy interesado, ¿qué quieres decir con "recuperarlo con la aplicación Google Parrot"? ¿Puedes compartir más detalles?
[/CITAR]
Hello I just meant that you could with the freeflight app 6 you press the symbol dei drone and you will see a small map of Google that will tell you the last position where the drone fell with 2 or 3 meters of margin of error to me served me you could try your luck a cordial greeting

[QUOTE = "Regling, post: 33882, miembro: 4942"]
Ok, estoy interesado, ¿qué quieres decir con "recuperarlo con la aplicación Google Parrot"? ¿Puedes compartir más detalles?
[/CITAR]
Hello I just meant that you could with the freeflight app 6 you press the symbol dei drone and you will see a small map of Google that will tell you the last position where the drone fell with 2 or 3 meters of margin of error to me served me you could try your luck a cordial greeting
Oh I see. On my third screenshot you can see the last known position as a red drone icon. I went there and searched but could not find it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quinzee