Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Parrot dropping out of the sky

Psutherling

Reaction score
Purchased the Anafi Extended in March 2020 -- really like the drone. I also have a Bebop 2 with over 200 flights and a DJI drone I fly regularly, so do have drone experience.

During the Anafi 4th flight on March 20th, I had a 'drop-from-the-sky' experience -- no screen warning and controller screen went blank, motors stopped and fell from 100 foot altitude into a tree but was not damaged. I filed a report with Parrott support -- good fast response and asked many questions and wanted lots of tech data. I did not follow-through with Support do to issues with COVID-19 and the time it would take to answer the many questions -- also started thinking that maybe there was a bird strike that I didn't see? So put on new props and flew the Anafi at home in hover, over bushes and exhausted all 3 batteries to 12% low battery warning, but could not repeat the 'fall-from-the-sky' problem. All functions normal for both video and still photos. Had over 15 successful flights before the 2nd fall-from-the sky. All firmware/app updates current (i.e. 1.6.7/6.6.8).
Yesterday, April 28, 2020, I launched normally in a remote unpopulated area and flew at 300-400 feet altitude shooting video until about 55% of battery power left, then began descent to land. With my other drones I like to land with about 40-50% power remaining in batteries for storage. At 100 foot altitude with 48% battery power remaining, the controller screen went blank and the Anafi motors shut down (definitely no birds) and the drone fell onto some rocks --- badly damaged and not flyable. No screen warnings and I did not do anything different from other landings.
Something is very wrong -- will file another report with Support and see what they say. I note that although I have the video from the crash flight which shut off before the crash, there is no log of the flight on Parrott.com.

Do any of you have current information about what causes this problem?

At the moment all we really know is that from firmware 1.6.4 onwards, and on 1.6.7 there was a battery firmware update.

Since then there has been many users had the same issues as yourself, for no reason at all just drops from the sky. I would get back onto Parrot and pursue it to the end this time.

we are waiting for Parrot to find out where the issue is and correct with a new firmware release, but with them being on limited staff like much of the world, and many staff working from home, I dont think there will be a release anytime soon.

Its getting very frustrating seeing all these Anafi's dropping. When we were on 1.6.3 we had the perfect drone, very little issue and it did what it said on the box.

Many of us are not flying the Anafi again until Parrot push out a firmware and a firmware that actually works correctly, not like the last 2 releases.

Update on May 4, 2020: I submitted a warranty claim to Parrott Customer Service on April 29th. They responded promptly on April 30th requesting that I answer many questions and send them screen shots, flight logs, photos of the damaged Anafi, etc. I submitted the requested information on May 1st and again received an immediate response on even date that my claim was being submitted to the 'investigation team' who would respond within 3 to 5 business days after completing their investigation. I remain optimistic that Parrott will do the right think and honor the warranty claim - we shall see. The response from Customer Service has been excellent so far.

As a side note, I see that Parrott has issued a new firmware update (or 2 updates) since my incident -- have not researched to see if Anafi pilots claim the updates have addressed the "fall-from-the-sky" problem -- but expect that the release notes will use generic language to the effect that the updates simply 'improve flight characteristics'. Hopefully, they have addressed this problem.

The 18 or so flights I made with the Anafi demonstrated to me that it is a superb drone well worth the price. I have no complaints, but rather positive comments --- except for the fall-from-the-sky problem.

I think the general opinion is that issues crept in with the deployment of Firmware 1.6.4 and then again with 1.6.7 where there was battery firmware updates.

Prior to 1.6.4 major issues were a thing in the past and everyone was very happy.

With the 2 Anafi firmware's, and the battery firmware, there was then a significant amount of major failures, and Parrot accepted there was major issues, hence one or two calls to the support desk were met with "Dont fly until a new firmware comes out".

Firmware 1.6.8 came out back end of last week, and so far everyone who has upgraded are very happy, generally putting us back to where we were at with 1.6.3.

People who were locked out of FCC have now got it back, and we seem to have a stable device again (fingers crossed), obviously its only been a few days, but its looking good.

D95gas: Thank you very much for your response and info on the firmware update. In the event Parrott honors my warranty claim and provides a new Anafi, I plan to wait for a month or so before flying to see if we again have a stable device.

D95gas: Thank you very much for your response and info on the firmware update. In the event Parrott honors my warranty claim and provides a new Anafi, I plan to wait for a month or so before flying to see if we again have a stable device.

In your boots I would do the same, you need to be assured that it wont happen again, and hopefully by watching and monitoring others on the forum, you will gain that assurance :)

For me bad story today too. I flew about 15 minutes without any problem. Suddenly I was about 20m high, 27% of battery, I was watching to it and he felt like a brick out the sky, 2 broken legs, camera out of center.... 18 months old. I heard already a lot about Anafi who dropped out the sky, I never got any problem, but today it was my turn. I hope there is some warranty because I have the logfile. Also in the logfile, it say crash = 0 IMG_0340.PNG

IMG_0340.PNG

All latest updates were done, so....

I am sorry to hear of your crash. Have you loaded the. json file of the flight into the "Show AnafiLog" software? If you want to you could upload the file to this thread and some knowledgeable members may be able to put their finger on the problem.

Looking at the screen shot above it appears that you were descending quite rapidly which can cause any quadcopter to become unstable, and even flip over, as it passes through it's own propeller wash.

I am sorry to hear of your crash. Have you loaded the. json file of the flight into the "Show AnafiLog" software? If you want to you could upload the file to this thread and some knowledgeable members may be able to put their finger on the problem.

Looking at the screen shot above it appears that you were descending quite rapidly which can cause any quadcopter to become unstable, and even flip over, as it passes through it's own propeller wash.
But why I see at the 20m line nothing anymore.

But why I see at the 20m line nothing anymore.
I got this problem already once while the drone was about 2 m above the grass 75% of battery and it felt down. So I didn't know why he did it, so for me the speed of descending wasn't that high why he shouldn't felt out the sky...

I'd say, your bird did 'land' there.
Even the speed stopped!
Was the battery still attached?
Yes battery still attached, but micro sdcard wasn't anymore at the correct place, and the last recorded file mp4 was corrupt, so I think the impact trow out the sdcard.

If you want to you could upload the file to this thread and some knowledgeable members may be able to put their finger on the problem.
I can't, I fly on military bases, so gps coordinates not welcome ;)

I have in total 210 flights with 3 batteries, so about 70 flights per battery
I'd say that guessing is good enough here.
About 70, did you use them gentle or mostly/often "all in"?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian