Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi programmed flight warning

DiscoBeb2anafiuser

Reaction score
I dont post much.. or read posts, My drones are not for fun... they are my eyes... and do my walking for me... I am a farmer... my drones fly ditches and look for beaver dams, or blockages... they observe flooding... or not... they take my eyes where my legs can no longer.... especially in mud... sometimes heat, and my vehicles would merely make a mess or get stuck... no matter... I am old and learned that anafi return to home via battery energy too low is not applicable during a flight plan.... bummer. I screwed up and put the wrong battery on before a programmed flight of 15 min. I didnt notice the battery power before i pressed "SEND"or program flight or execute or whatever it is called... so my battery had insufficient power for the programmed flight....but away it flew. Gone with the wind.... lol. So... WARNING. There is no battery low return to home when executing a flight plan... That may or may not be written somewhere... but what im going to complain about is that anafi accepted the flight plan.... PARROT... bad... Parrot doesnt allow me to execute a programmed flight without GPS. But it does with a battery of insufficient power to accept the flight plan and attempt the flight... Bad... why bad... well... cause the drone knew.. the drone knows how long it expects the flight to be and the drone knows what the battery percentage is.... this is where microsoft pops up.... ARE YOU SURE? As Shakespeare would say... that message would give me pause... I would check all the parameters again to be sure i really wanted to loose my anafi... well i didnt loose it but it didnt make it back... crashed and ruined the gimbal. Another one bites the dust... parts only. Lol. Anyway, i thought i would mention this because... because anafi is one of the longest lasting drone platforms ive noticed... Parrot seems to be happy with this drone platform... So am i.. i have 4 operational bebop2's and even one Disco left...(ive destroyed or lost or destroyed 3 other discos and probably 5 other bebop2's...... and now just 1 fully operational anafi and one who sees and flies but cant move his head... and one anafi who landed in the ditch and played submarine for 3 days until i could find it..... that one doesnt it work at all..lol.... anyway... the drone knew i screwed up before it went out of signal range... too little energy to complete the flight plan.... but it kept that a secret. All that said.... i want total command... i want the ability to execute self destruct (general order 24 for trekies) or into the sun if i want to... but i dont want to do it by mistake.... so a little software help would have helped... probably not more than three lines of code... and memory is dirt cheap.... compared to the core memory i used to work with... in the shuttle computers.

Last edited:
I have had mixed experiences with flight plans. One flight plan was running low on power whilst out of contact (how did that happen?) and it autonomously made the right choice of aborting and flying directly home. On another occasion, it was on a flight plan that should have been fine (yes it was out of contact, but it's clever) but it somehow decided or was tricked into flying at a snail's pace until it had used up nearly all its power. Fortunately, it just managed to get back into contact as it decided that it had to land. I was able to see that the place it had got to (on its flight plan, but very late) was as good as any (unknown, a long way off but at least not in somebody's garden, swimming pool or roof) so I could see it drop down until I saw the grass. I managed to recover it within an hour, which would have been fine if I hadn't have been due at work twenty minutes later.
I agree that a drone should do a logic check, it should know its own estimate of flight endurance and the length of the flight plan and it should ask you whether you are sure. This is clearly something that you can experiment with. Give it a stupid ten-mile or forty-minute flight plan and see what it does. You can then try it with a battery on 10% and still if it will spot the problem. A modern and more importantly a mature drone such as the Anafi should spot such things. Are you using the latest updates?

I have had mixed experiences with flight plans. One flight plan was running low on power whilst out of contact (how did that happen?) and it autonomously made the right choice of aborting and flying directly home. On another occasion, it was on a flight plan that should have been fine (yes it was out of contact, but it's clever) but it somehow decided or was tricked into flying at a snail's pace until it had used up nearly all its power. Fortunately, it just managed to get back into contact as it decided that it had to land. I was able to see that the place it had got to (on its flight plan, but very late) was as good as any (unknown, a long way off but at least not in somebody's garden, swimming pool or roof) so I could see it drop down until I saw the grass. I managed to recover it within an hour, which would have been fine if I hadn't have been due at work twenty minutes later.
I agree that a drone should do a logic check, it should know its own estimate of flight endurance and the length of the flight plan and it should ask you whether you are sure. This is clearly something that you can experiment with. Give it a stupid ten-mile or forty-minute flight plan and see what it does. You can then try it with a battery on 10% and still if it will spot the problem. A modern and more importantly a mature drone such as the Anafi should spot such things. Are you using the latest updates?
You can check my flight plan video in this forum on how well the Anafi executes flight plan if this helps ....

I dont post much.. or read posts, My drones are not for fun... they are my eyes... and do my walking for me... I am a farmer... my drones fly ditches and look for beaver dams, or blockages... they observe flooding... or not... they take my eyes where my legs can no longer.... especially in mud... sometimes heat, and my vehicles would merely make a mess or get stuck... no matter... I am old and learned that anafi return to home via battery energy too low is not applicable during a flight plan.... bummer. I screwed up and put the wrong battery on before a programmed flight of 15 min. I didnt notice the battery power before i pressed "SEND"or program flight or execute or whatever it is called... so my battery had insufficient power for the programmed flight....but away it flew. Gone with the wind.... lol. So... WARNING. There is battery low return to home when executing a flight plan... That may or may not be written somewhere... but what im going to complain about is that anafi accepted the flight plan.... PARROT... bad... Parrot doesnt allow me to execute a programmed flight without GPS. But it does with a battery of insufficient power to accept the flight plan and attempt the flight... Bad... why bad... well... cause the drone knew.. the drone knows how long it expects the flight to be and the drone knows what the battery percentage is.... this is where microsoft pops up.... ARE YOU SURE? As Shakespeare would say... that message would give me pause... I would check all the parameters again to be sure i really wanted to loose my anafi... well i didnt loose it but it didnt make it back... crashed and ruined the gimbal. Another one bites the dust... parts only. Lol. Anyway, i thought i would mention this because... because anafi is one of the longest lasting drone platforms ive noticed... Parrot seems to be happy with this drone platform... So am i.. i have 4 operational bebop2's and even one Disco left...(ive destroyed or lost or destroyed 3 other discos and probably 5 other bebop2's...... and now just 1 fully operational anafi and one who sees and flies but cant move his head... and one anafi who landed in the ditch and played submarine for 3 days until i could find it..... that one doesnt it work at all..lol.... anyway... the drone knew i screwed up before it went out of signal range... too little energy to complete the flight plan.... but it kept that a secret. All that said.... i want total command... i want the ability to execute self destruct (general order 24 for trekies) or into the sun if i want to... but i dont want to do it by mistake.... so a little software help would have helped... probably not more than three lines of code... and memory is dirt cheap.... compared to the core memory i used to work with... in the shuttle computers.
You can check my flight plan video in this forum on how well the Anafi executes flight plan if this helps ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nachiketh