Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi - strange behaviour after RTH with FlightPlan

dingo

Reaction score
I have only had my Anafi for a couple of weeks so far and a few days ago, decided to use the FlightPlan feature. I setup a course that was to take about 3'40" to complete, in open fields, away from obstacles, power lines etc and having carried out all the usual pre-flight checks, set the FlightPlan running. I should also point out, that I have flown in this location twice before without any issues (but not using FP).
I suppose due to being relatively new to the FF6 app, I had set the Geofence limit to 500 feet distance, 200 feet altitude - unfortunately the FlightPlan exceeded the 500 feet distance and flashed up a 'Geofence Reaching' red warning (the route took the Anafi 650 feet away).
I read in another thread on this forum of a similar situation happening, whereby the member initiated the RTH function in panic and ended up losing his drone. In my case I also initiated RTH and the Anafi sucessfully returned to the RTH position - but this is where the strange behaviour of the drone began!
It hovered above RTH for a while, then began to take off in the opposite direction from which it had returned from the FlightPlan route? I pressed cancel RTH, then re-initiated it - same behaviour occurred again. I managed to stay calm and manually attempt to land the craft - (pulling back on right stick to bring it back and then back on left stick to bring it down). This worked for a while, until the Anafi stopped moving momentarily, then again decided to take off in the same direction as before. I should point out that at this stage, I was still holding down the sticks.
Now I was actually starting to really panic, as it appeared that my control was somehow being overridden? I let off the sticks and reapplied manual control again and the drone started to return - but the same situation (as just mentioned) reoccurred.
I persevered for a while, trying to regain control of the craft, mindful of the fact that the battery was now starting to get low (20%).
Eventually, I was able to return the Anafi and land it safely, but the experience left me quite disturbed as to why this behaviour had happened in the first place.
I have tried to analyse it and also attempted to look at the flight data (I know there is a way/method to view very detailed flight statistics, but have no idea of how to do this).
My original thought was that on first initialising RTH, following the Geofence warning - I had not cancelled FP mode and gone back to Manual mode option, so the Anafi was constantly trying to fly back to the end point on the flight plan (where it is set to hover, pending further instruction - as I understand it?)
Beyond this, I am at a total loss as to what really happened, but I would obviously like to find out for certain, so that any omissions (if any) on my part can be avoided in future.
If anyone can throw any light on this, I would be most grateful?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Initializing RTH automatically cancels the FP, so the Anafi should have returned to the hover, as it did. Period. The subsequent behavior is totally anomalous and indicates a serious fault. Return for an exchange and try again.

Initializing RTH automatically cancels the FP, so the Anafi should have returned to the hover, as it did. Period. The subsequent behavior is totally anomalous and indicates a serious fault. Return for an exchange and try again.
Thanks for your reply! I’m assuming though that I’d need some hard evidence to support a return of the Anafi. I didn’t buy this from new, but from what I can ascertain, it is still within 12 months from original purchase and so I assume, covered by manufacturer’s warranty. Parrot would need flight data and so forth to establish a claim for serious fault/malfunction. Is there a way to access detailed flight data that may support such a claim? Thanks.

Returning it seems a bit extreme. Sounds like it thought it was still in a flight plan, probably some sort of software bug.

I'd just be more careful and
A) don't use geofence and flightplan
B) if similar was to happen, cancel flightplan before pressing rth.

Glad it had a happy ending anyway!

Returning it seems a bit extreme. Sounds like it thought it was still in a flight plan, probably some sort of software bug.

I'd just be more careful and
A) don't use geofence and flightplan
B) if similar was to happen, cancel flightplan before pressing rth.

Glad it had a happy ending anyway!
Thanks for replying - so what you’re saying is to maybe turn off geofence when using FP and to then if a problem occurred cancel FP by presumably selecting Manual Flight mode.
I didn’t really want to return the Anafi, if I didn’t have to - such a rigmarole!!
I’ve since flown it briefly a couple of times and not had any similar issues.
Very odd, but I think I will persevere with it.
Thanks again

Thanks for replying - so what you’re saying is to maybe turn off geofence when using FP and to then if a problem occurred cancel FP by presumably selecting Manual Flight mode.
I didn’t really want to return the Anafi, if I didn’t have to - such a rigmarole!!
I’ve since flown it briefly a couple of times and not had any similar issues.
Very odd, but I think I will persevere with it.
Thanks again
Yeah, exactly (ish anyway, when a flightplan is running there is a stop/cancel button at the top of the screen if I recall) . I'm not sure that geofence is really very useful. I'd suggest turning it off, period. Max height I'd consider more useful.

Yes, turning off geofence when using a Flight Plan is a good idea, but since your drone did in fact return home before running away I doubt the geofence was the issue. I would fly it manually several times to points several hundred meters away and hit RTH, noting it's behavior each time. Let it hover for at least a minute to see if it wants to run away. Then I would just fly it to those same points and fly it back to the hover over the take-off point manually. This should not prove anything other than that the drone is functioning normally in manual mode. If it DOES run away in these tests it will prove that the behavior has nothing to do with Flight Plan or Geofence, and that you cannot trust the drone at all. :mad:

In FP, any time you use the sticks it cancels the Flight Plan. You can zoom and gimbal the camera up or down, that will not cancel the FP. The FP can be canceled by the red stop button at the top of the screen, and it can be paused by the orange vertical bars at the right side of the lower left panel where you hit the green triangle to start the FP.

Yes, turning off geofence when using a Flight Plan is a good idea, but since your drone did in fact return home before running away I doubt the geofence was the issue. I would fly it manually several times to points several hundred meters away and hit RTH, noting it's behavior each time. Let it hover for at least a minute to see if it wants to run away. Then I would just fly it to those same points and fly it back to the hover over the take-off point manually. This should not prove anything other than that the drone is functioning normally in manual mode. If it DOES run away in these tests it will prove that the behavior has nothing to do with Flight Plan or Geofence, and that you cannot trust the drone at all. :mad:

In FP, any time you use the sticks it cancels the Flight Plan. You can zoom and gimbal the camera up or down, that will not cancel the FP. The FP can be canceled by the red stop button at the top of the screen, and it can be paused by the orange vertical bars at the right side of the lower left panel where you hit the green triangle to start the FP.
Thanks again - I will try your suggestions and post back (just need to get some decent flying weather here in the UK - lol!

Ah, The UK in late October......good luck. ;)

Even here in sunny Idaho winter is coming on strong....high of 32 F tomorrow. :(

Ah, The UK in late October......good luck. ;)

Even here in sunny Idaho winter is coming on strong....high of 32 F tomorrow. :(
Had a small window of decent weather to attempt some short test flights with the Anafi and FP. Glad to report that following your previous advice the issue has not shown up again - let's hope that's it for good!!
Thanks again for all the advice guys!

Thanks for your reply! I’m assuming though that I’d need some hard evidence to support a return of the Anafi. I didn’t buy this from new, but from what I can ascertain, it is still within 12 months from original purchase and so I assume, covered by manufacturer’s warranty. Parrot would need flight data and so forth to establish a claim for serious fault/malfunction. Is there a way to access detailed flight data that may support such a claim? Thanks.
I"m glad this wasn't catostrophic.!
to the point of returning a used drone. I don't know if the warranty transfers.
in my only experience with warranty work, they ask for proof of original purchase. unless you got a receipt from your seller for that, it may not be a warranted issue.
Glad it didn't come to that!

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar