Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi thermal or Mavic 2 Pro dual thermal

Loic

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an new french member and I have a question.
My customer asked me to perform a thermal inspection of pipes in a chemical industry.
I don't have a thermal drone and I hesitate between the Anafi thermal and the Mavic 2 thermal. I largely prefer the anafi for the following reasons: price, 180° gimbal, possibility to analyse the images with flir tools (very important !!!).
On the other hand the only big negative point is the wifi link ...
Is the wifi connection reliable knowing that I will be working in a metallic environment (gantry piping : exemple in attach files) ? The maximum distance between the drone and me will be 100m.
Thank you for help
Loïc

Attachments

• 4879-1.jpg
    4879-1.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 12
Hi, I'm an new french member and I have a question.
My customer asked me to perform a thermal inspection of pipes in a chemical industry.
I don't have a thermal drone and I hesitate between the Anafi thermal and the Mavic 2 thermal. I largely prefer the anafi for the following reasons: price, 180° gimbal, possibility to analyse the images with flir tools (very important !!!).
On the other hand the only big negative point is the wifi link ...
Is the wifi connection reliable knowing that I will be working in a metallic environment (gantry piping : exemple in attach files) ? The maximum distance between the drone and me will be 100m.
Thank you for help
Loïc
Please check out my video on Mobile antenna inspection. Oh for sure Anafi thermal is very reliable near metallic structures .....

I would think at 100 meters you would be fine. Do you know of any other types of interference in the complex?

What are in the pipes?

Both drones use a Flir Lepton 160x120 thermal sensor, but the Anafi uses the 3.5 full radiometric and like you said works in Flir Tools for post work, and the Mavic 2 ED either uses the 3.0 Lepton or the 3.5 with the sensor downgraded through software.

The Mavic 2 ED is by far the superior aircraft though and its extremely long range equates to stronger signal in high interference areas.

Both aircraft have well thought out flight software both with pros and cons.

If you really want to expand into thermal inspections save your cash and get a 640 resolution thermal. Skip even the Anafi USA with its 320 Boson. A 640 resolution sensor really opens you up to a lot of possibilities. Very soon Flir is releasing a 640 Boson sensor with full radiometrics (Temperature values in all pixels) and this will filter into new and current drone lines. (This is from Brett Kanda from Flir in the last month). The Boson has SWAP, size, weight and Power advantages, very good antialiasing and an AI chip. It can be made into very small payloads and when it finally comes out as a full radiometric solution, has the potential to have drones like the Autel Evo 2 offer services that before could only be done by much larger, more expensive drones. I know waiting for technology is a cyclic, something always better comes along, but don't think that the Anafi Thermal's 160x120 sensor is going to allow you to expand thermal services in the right direction. This is coming from someone who owns one and defends it all the time and has done some thermal jobs for customers.

One last thing, in that environment beware of the thermal reflections, that looks like a great place to train on reflections.

Reactions: sibujacob
I would think at 100 meters you would be fine. Do you know of any other types of interference in the complex?

What are in the pipes?

Both drones use a Flir Lepton 160x120 thermal sensor, but the Anafi uses the 3.5 full radiometric and like you said works in Flir Tools for post work, and the Mavic 2 ED either uses the 3.0 Lepton or the 3.5 with the sensor downgraded through software.

The Mavic 2 ED is by far the superior aircraft though and its extremely long range equates to stronger signal in high interference areas.

Both aircraft have well thought out flight software both with pros and cons.

If you really want to expand into thermal inspections save your cash and get a 640 resolution thermal. Skip even the Anafi USA with its 320 Boson. A 640 resolution sensor really opens you up to a lot of possibilities. Very soon Flir is releasing a 640 Boson sensor with full radiometrics (Temperature values in all pixels) and this will filter into new and current drone lines. (This is from Brett Kanda from Flir in the last month). The Boson has SWAP, size, weight and Power advantages, very good antialiasing and an AI chip. It can be made into very small payloads and when it finally comes out as a full radiometric solution, has the potential to have drones like the Autel Evo 2 offer services that before could only be done by much larger, more expensive drones. I know waiting for technology is a cyclic, something always better comes along, but don't think that the Anafi Thermal's 160x120 sensor is going to allow you to expand thermal services in the right direction. This is coming from someone who owns one and defends it all the time and has done some thermal jobs for customers.

One last thing, in that environment beware of the thermal reflections, that looks like a great place to train on reflections.
Yes, reflection property is what i would like to learn more. In fact this was a pet project and not for any business deals .: )). I am confused when it comes to setting reflective property in the FF6 menu as for metals they have wide range of values .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian