Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Up In A Tree Again.

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Went out this morning hoping to get some follow me video of myself riding my snowmachine. Made a pilot error in my setup that ended with my Anafi up in a Balsam tree 26 feet up. Same Anafi that spent last winter in a tree.
Using just my phone I had set up for tracking which makes the Anafi want to track from the back. As it started to go around to where it would track me I never thought about the metal building I had parked beside. I guess as it was going around and got closer to the building it just took off at a high rate of speed. It happened so fast I could not react to what was going on. Luckily I was low enough that it ended up in the trees. Now the hard part was trying to get it out of the trees. I always use elastic bands now on my battery just in case of a situation like this. So it never lost the battery and I could hear it up in the tree but could not see it. Ended up going back home and got my pool skimmer pole to see if I could shake the branches enough to knock it to the ground. Not knowing exactly where in the tree it was that did not work. Went back home and got a extension latter and climbed as high as this old body would allow me but I could still not see where in the tree it was. Back home and this time I brought the big guns back to the tree. Started the power saw up and 3 minutes later the Anafi was back in my hands. No damage to the Anafi, not even a broken prop but I am afraid the tree never made out so well. LOL

I consider myself a experienced UAV pilot but even we can make dumbass moves.

This is getting to be rather regular Agustine :D

At least you brought it back into the warm this time which it should be grateful for. Would the tree not gaffer tape back together again?

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
**** trees! Glad you got it back quickly this time!

Edit: even though the initial word was very 'mild' the forum software seems not to like it :) .... so, let's try "Annoying trees" ...

It didn't look like you were really that close to the metal building so I'm surprised it would interfere with the flight. Anyway, glad you got it back in one piece.

Way to many trees in Canada... definitely not a safe place to fly an Anafi in Follow-Me mode !
Or you could try flying higher now the motors have been ‘unbridled’ ? ;o)

@pmh1nic : I wouldn’t blame it on the magnetic interference of the metallic building. But more probably on the fact the Follow-Me mode was set ‘against the sun light’, doubled by the fact Agustine was standing in the shade of the metallic building.

When it started climbing, the Anafi lost it’s beautiful subject and as everything is black and white and high-contrast in this romantic scenery... it lost track and tried quickly to find something that looked the same but viewed from the opposite side of the sun lighting (impossible).

Next time, could you fly the same scene, at the same time of the day, but you would launch the Anafi while standing in the sun (3 meters further), and looking at you from the rear (I know, it may not be your best side ;o)

... of course you should bring your power saw from the beginning as any real Canadian would do ;o)

Last edited:
Seems to be a right of passage to get Anafi stuck in a tree. My tool of choice has been a rock to the branch.

In the beginning of this video I orbited into a very tall tree. Using the map I got close to Anafi, then I could hear the motors beeping. I threw a few rocks blindly and saw Anafi Pachinko down about 75 feet and fell into the snow like a dead bug. No damage so I continued to fly.

I came home with Anafi, you came home with Anafi and firewood lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Way to many trees in Canada... definitely not a safe place to fly an Anafi in Follow-Me mode !
Or you could try flying higher now the motors have been ‘unbridled’ ? ;o)

@pmh1nic : I wouldn’t blame it on the magnetic interference of the metallic building. But more probably on the fact the Follow-Me mode was set ‘against the sun light’, doubled by the fact Agustine was standing in the shade of the metallic building.

When it started climbing, the Anafi lost it’s beautiful subject and as everything is black and white and high-contrast in this romantic scenery... it lost track and tried quickly to find something that looked the same but viewed from the opposite side of the sun lighting (impossible).

Next time, could you fly the same scene, at the same time of the day, but you would launch the Anafi while standing in the sun (3 meters further), and looking at you from the rear (I know, it may not be your best side ;o)

... of course you should bring your power saw from the beginning as any real Canadian would do ;o)

You could be right about what happened @MustangPhil. I was looking over the logs and the Anafi never lost GPS or showed any signs of decreased satellites until it was up in the tree which is expected. The sun was very bright and I was having a hard time seeing my phone screen even in the shade of the building. This is one theory I don't want to go and prove ;)

Reactions: MustangPhil
Haha, yes, sometimes it's a hard price to pay to prove a theory is right.
Galileo Galilei around year 1600 had a theory that the center of our system was not the earth but the sun. The church did not agree, and said "if you still think about this theory you will be burned at the stake'.
Funny enough, just after this, he changed his mind ...

Seems to be a right of passage to get Anafi stuck in a tree. My tool of choice has been a rock to the branch.

In the beginning of this video I orbited into a very tall tree. Using the map I got close to Anafi, then I could hear the motors beeping. I threw a few rocks blindly and saw Anafi Pachinko down about 75 feet and fell into the snow like a dead bug. No damage so I continued to fly.

I came home with Anafi, you came home with Anafi and firewood lol.
hi
What mode you used to recorded this video? Did you fly manually or used mode like camera man or active track?

I really like the color.
How did you do it ;
You have also done something at the feet of anafi.
what exactly ?

I bought the skin from Amazon and the landing leg protectors from Dirty J Designs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilippB