Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Another Anafi fall from the sky (twice!)

Saccobent

Reaction score
Hello! Problems for my Parrot Anafi too after upgrading software and batteries firmware.
The first fall happened while it was landing (with about 38% of battery) falling down from around 60 m high without big problems (I was very lucky because I was flying over a field with a lot of dry grass).
The second fall happened in front of me: it was flying since a few minutes (battery almost full, not the same of the first fall). As the first event happened, I was flying only a few meters over the soil (in the same grassfield).
In both cases the drone touched the soil swiched on (vent, light and emitting a strange intermittent noise from the motors): for stopping it working I had to remove the battery as the on/of button was not responding.
After the crash, in the mobile phone it appears for a few seconds the last image recorded by the camera during the flight before the problem... then gray (and drone icon red = disconnected).
After the first fall, in the microSD card i found a file PXXXX.mp4 (0 byte) and a PXXXX.tmp of 1.2 GB while after the second event both the files (*.mp4 and *.tmp) had a 0 byte dimension.
In both cases, the App reports "no crash" (!)
I just send a mail to Parrot reporting this problem. Waiting for his reply.
I attach the json files of the two events, hoping somebody could find a solution as soon as possible!
Yours,
Mario from Italy

Attachments

• 0914_2020-03-15T172203+0100_290E4A_000E.json
    841.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 0914_2020-03-18T173033+0100_DF8C9D_0015.json
    96.4 KB · Views: 6
Hello! Problems for my Parrot Anafi too after upgrading software and batteries firmware.
The first fall happened while it was landing (with about 38% of battery) falling down from around 60 m high without big problems (I was very lucky because I was flying over a field with a lot of dry grass).
The second fall happened in front of me: it was flying since a few minutes (battery almost full, not the same of the first fall). As the first event happened, I was flying only a few meters over the soil (in the same grassfield).
In both cases the drone touched the soil swiched on (vent, light and emitting a strange intermittent noise from the motors): for stopping it working I had to remove the battery as the on/of button was not responding.
After the crash, in the mobile phone it appears for a few seconds the last image recorded by the camera during the flight before the problem... then gray (and drone icon red = disconnected).
After the first fall, in the microSD card i found a file PXXXX.mp4 (0 byte) and a PXXXX.tmp of 1.2 GB while after the second event both the files (*.mp4 and *.tmp) had a 0 byte dimension.
In both cases, the App reports "no crash" (!)
I just send a mail to Parrot reporting this problem. Waiting for his reply.
I attach the json files of the two events, hoping somebody could find a solution as soon as possible!
Yours,
Mario from Italy
Unfortunately, this is caused by faulty Parrot firmware (battery management). You are the 5th (or 6th) person in this forum with whom this happened.
For some unknown reason, the "smart" battery shuts down and there is no log file (or 0 content). It does not indicate a collision because it was not powered at the time of the collision.
Contact Parrot and inform them of the error. The more people make it, the more secure the repair.

Many thanks Gipsz Jakab for your reply and explanation.
I've sent to Parrot company the same report I've posted here.
Let's hope they solve the problem soon!
Yours,
Mario

Many thanks Gipsz Jakab for your reply and explanation.
I've sent to Parrot company the same report I've posted here.
Let's hope they solve the problem soon!
Yours,
Mario

Don't forget this:
Parrot on Facebook

That is not only a good advertising channel, it it also a great way, to focus events back to them. The more and the more often, .....

My Anafi also felt from the sky. It happened on 4th of march. Few days after the update for the battery came out :( I sent Parrot an E-Mail on the next day but got no response yet, like always :mad: I'm lucky because it still flys but there are some cracks near the battey holder, so I asked very kindly if they can send me the Main Body, so I can repair it mysel, but I don't think they will.

My Anafi also felt from the sky. It happened on 4th of march. Few days after the update for the battery came out :( I sent Parrot an E-Mail on the next day but got no response yet, like always :mad: I'm lucky because it still flys but there are some cracks near the battey holder, so I asked very kindly if they can send me the Main Body, so I can repair it mysel, but I don't think they will.

They'd assumingly point you towards this:
Anafi main body

I have been in the IT industry for over 25 years.
Rule of thumb, never ever update anything right away unless it is a critical security patch.
And turn auto-update off.

Wait a little bit and play by ear.
Dont be their QA extended benchmark program!

I hope you all had a happy resolution to this problem.

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
Can't agree more. A lot of people don't understand what is actually behind an update to aircraft. An update will fix the previous bug. But will also introduce a new bug when new function is also introduced. It is an endless process. Bug always win. Just like the survivablity of virus. You developed a vaccine. It mutates to overcome it and a new version of virus comes in.

To aircraft, stabiliy is everything. Not functionality.

But most consumers are not wise enough to understand the logic behinds this. They think an update is a "delight" or "good" thing is actually fool and a very wrong concept. Especially to those people "I updated last night and so far ok and safe...". That is how they lost drone as drone is an variant of I.T. stuff too. If you don't lose the drone. Manufacturers like Parrot/DJI can't earn your money again. The only right thing to do as a true pilot is when you find out the release is stable enough. Such as you have had 50 flights no crashes or time proven its stablity. Your drone should fixiate on that firmware/app release forever unless the next update is a need-to-do basis.
I agree. Anafi's last firmware release that brought new features and was even stable was 1.6.3 I haven't updated since then, so I didn't have a problem with the FCC, the battery, GPS or stability ...

I had a similar experience on September. Anafi switched off and fell from 12meters height in concrete for no reason. And this was days before their latest firmware released. Was flying manual drone was about 30 meters away clear weather battery level 42%.
After providing all evidence that parrot asked for they decided that they can't do anything about it even if my drone is 1.5 years since purchase because I didn't buy it from them or a reseller. Also no repair center so am left with a damage drone.

It's for a valid reason a lot of people complain about parrot. They didn't bother why it happened, if someone was hurt ,why one of their drones just switched off and fell midair. They reply wAs
Sorry we can't do anything about it"
They can't bother , but on the other hand they can not see a bit further than that , the bad publicity they will be getting and also that I will never buy any parrot drone again from them

[...] They didn't bother why it happened, if someone was hurt ,why one of their drones just switched off and fell midair. They reply wAs
Sorry we can't do anything about it"
[...]
I am pretty certain, they know the flaw in the battery design and the battery/bird fw, which cant change the % to THE REAL usable value!
But they made sure, people can still fly there "can fall out of the air" birds in the new europe laws!
And: As more falling down, without hitting someone, as earlier the threat is gone. For Parrot!

I am pretty certain, they know the flaw in the battery design and the battery/bird fw, which cant change the % to THE REAL usable value!
But they made sure, people can still fly there "can fall out of the air" birds in the new europe laws!
And: As more falling down, without hitting someone, as earlier the threat is gone. For Parrot!
I am wondering since they are not bothered at all, is there any European drone organisation to report them ? Only this way they might be able to care and look at the issue

Once Parrot announced the Anafi USA, they stuck two fingers up to the rest of us. We were just their testing ground, we were the test dummies for their dodgy firmware releases.

They just dont even bother answering emails these days, certainly no governing body to report them to. And I dont think they are fussed about us taking a stand and never touching Parrot again.... They have their Military & Commercial market now, the hobby flyer served their purpose. And yes feel very bitter about the way we have been treated since the Anafi USA.

There are so many negative thoughts in this Forums on the firmware updated, I am wondering why Parrot will still working on it, there should be some costs for them to update the firmware, may be they try to improve their products and attracting more sells, a manufacturer never can fulfill all the needs of the customers, but if they still offer updating means they care about their business.

There are so many negative thoughts in this Forums on the firmware updated, I am wondering why Parrot will still working on it, there should be some costs for them to update the firmware, may be they try to improve their products and attracting more sells, a manufacturer never can fulfill all the needs of the customers, but if they still offer updating means they care about their business.
Although they still sell consumer drones I believe most of their resources are now spent on the enterprise drones like the Anafi USA. They are getting much more profits from the new $7000 dollar drone so unless the update is needed for their flag ship drone I do not think they really care anymore about the base Anafi.

Although they still sell consumer drones I believe most of their resources are now spent on the enterprise drones like the Anafi USA. They are getting much more profits from the new $7000 dollar drone so unless the update is needed for their flag ship drone I do not think they really care anymore about the base Anafi.
But we still can be benefited through their efforts on the Anafi USA, can't we?

To a degree we have already benefited. Some of the features that were for the Anafi USA in the latest application, have been unlocked by "AnafiPilot1" in the modified release.

Now whether we can gain anything from firmware, IMHO is doubtful, given the different hardware and battery type on the Anafi USA. I would of thought it would be totally different firmware as it might be too complex to make 1 firmware that will suit both birds, that have different hardware......... But I could be wrong ;-)

But we still can be benefited through their efforts on the Anafi USA, can't we?
Assumingly only because of the FF6, which is in use for the Anafi USA as well.
Also I am not sure, if the Anafi thermal/work is called a consumer or a pro drone. (Now)
But what I can't understand, as I would not call the thermal/work a consumer product (probably I am to cheap?), it seems it is using the same fw, the same batteries, right?
How do they expect , that people who work with a drone, are not using the batteries down to the max advertised flighttime? In special if they use the bird to expect structures close by the pilot?
I am wondering, if we will hear more about falling thermals, sooner or later!

Assumingly only because of the FF6, which is in use for the Anafi USA as well.
Also I am not sure, if the Anafi thermal/work is called a consumer or a pro drone. (Now)
But what I can't understand, as I would not call the thermal/work a consumer product (probably I am to cheap?), it seems it is using the same fw, the same batteries, right?
How do they expect , that people who work with a drone, are not using the batteries down to the max advertised flighttime? In special if they use the bird to expect structures close by the pilot?
I am wondering, if we will hear more about falling thermals, sooner or later!
As soon as the batteries delivered with the thermals will reach the same age than the normal 1 or 2 year old Anafi's have now, they will also make problems.
Batteries are getting older and weaker.

Reactions: Ana789
Can't agree more. A lot of people don't understand what is actually behind an update to aircraft. An update will fix the previous bug. But will also introduce a new bug when new function is also introduced. It is an endless process. Bug always win.
As it sound... a lot like user error, it wouldn't be blamed on a non existent bug you just need more practice solaris....

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut