Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Battery Discharge after sitting for a couple weeks

IronSky1

Reaction score
My 3 Anafi batteries dsicharge quickly when not used for a few weeks. I store them out of Anafi.
They come back up to full charge in 5-10 miuntes not a big deal just interested if this is common.

Yes, this is a design feature to help increase the life of the batteries and keep the capacity at an optimum over their lifetime. These batteries should discharge slowly to about 80% over 12 days. After 12 days they go into sleep mode and won't power the Anafi on, you'll need to charge them to wake the batteries up again.

Yes, this is a design feature to help increase the life of the batteries and keep the capacity at an optimum over their lifetime. These batteries should discharge slowly to about 80% over 12 days. After 12 days they go into sleep mode and won't power the Anafi on, you'll need to charge them to wake the batteries up again.
I remember: after 10 days, if you do not use it 50-60% will drain the electronics and turn on hibernation.
It doesn't take 10 minutes to get out of it, but about 1 hour. At least that's how it worked for me after my purchase.

ideally, when not in use for a prolonged period, batteries should be stored half-charged. When not in use for 10 days, Anafi’s smart battery discharges itself, if required, to 65% charge, over a 48h period.
In other words, after a maximum of 12 days without use, this smart battery enters hibernation with a charge level which never exceeds 65%. If you leave your battery for 12 days, you will find out its power button does not activate the charge level LED indicators.
The battery needs to be charged to exit the wintering mode and start operating as per usual, this behavior preserves the battery over time. Parrot recommends you always run a full charge of your smart battery before flying.

It can be a little annoying when finally the weather is right to fly and all your batteries need a charge before you can head out.

Even worse if you head out and find they have all gone into full storage mode.

It can be a little annoying when finally the weather is right to fly and all your batteries need a charge before you can head out.

Even worse if you head out and find they have all gone into full storage mode.
Even worse, the batteries will completely fail.
Sleep mode is available with all (drone) smart batteries.
Its purpose is to protect the batteries. Do not use it for longer (more than 10-12 days) then discharge it to 50-60% as it is optimal for lithium battery storage. If it is full, or if it is empty and we put it away for the winter, we will not fly at all in the spring. Then it's more about hibernation and charging than total destruction ...

Since weather change is not a "oh, just now" thing, mostly:
I recharge by batteries after usage just to about 2 LED, 3. blinking, if i'm not planning to fly in the next days.
This way, I KNOW, I have to charge them, always, before I am going out with 'em!
Aside that I mostly check, if there is any new FW/SW/update, that Remote, App or Bird needs, before it wanna work, in the field!
Works for me quiet some time, already!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
In the UK on the south coast especially at this time of year most days the weather is not suitable to fly and then out of the blue we get a few hours where condition are good.

Plus of course I also have to be free to fly that time.

My batteries are subjected to more charging and discharging because of their "smart" technology hoping for some good weather.

It would be nice if you could specify the days before self discharging cut in.

One work around I have found is to press the battery button every couple of days which seems to prevent draining.

In the UK on the south coast especially at this time of year most days the weather is not suitable to fly and then out of the blue we get a few hours where condition are good.

Plus of course I also have to be free to fly that time.

My batteries are subjected to more charging and discharging because of their "smart" technology hoping for some good weather.

One work around I have found is to press the battery button every couple of days which seems to prevent draining.
Intelligent technology protects your battery so you don't have to buy a new one.
This is inconvenient, but if they are constantly charged, they will crash. Now which is better?
- they are always charged and ready, but because of this they wear out quickly
- They are reduced to 1/2 charge every 12 days but have a longer lifespan

It is not that difficult:

They keep the full charge for 10 days
After they discharge for up2 two days

So after 10 days you would need to recharge, in case you wanna fly with 100% batteries.

But you "stress" the batteries, having they sit on a full charge that long.
That is almost the same, as having them deep discharged and don't recharge them for a couple of days.

So, in case you are not looking for the eye of a hurrican over your house, how about this:

Getting as many PD chargers as you have batteries.
Storing your batteries with 2 steady LEDs, 1 blinking, and whenever you wanna get out for "few hours good condition" flights, charge all of em with the PD chargers.

And, perhaps, even leave the house with (p.ex.) 80% / 90% but fresh charged batteries.

And try to find out, how precise UAV forecast works for your location.
Keep an eye on that app, it gives you in the free version a 24h window to look at
Perhaps that will help, too?

It is not that difficult:

They keep the full charge for 10 days
After they discharge for up2 two days

So after 10 days you would need to recharge, in case you wanna fly with 100% batteries.

But you "stress" the batteries, having they sit on a full charge that long.
That is almost the same, as having them deep discharged and don't recharge them for a couple of days.

So, in case you are not looking for the eye of a hurrican over your house, how about this:

Getting as many PD chargers as you have batteries.
Storing your batteries with 2 steady LEDs, 1 blinking, and whenever you wanna get out for "few hours good condition" flights, charge all of em with the PD chargers.

And, perhaps, even leave the house with (p.ex.) 80% / 90% but fresh charged batteries.

And try to find out, how precise UAV forecast works for your location.
Keep an eye on that app, it gives you in the free version a 24h window to look at
Perhaps that will help, too?
Although technology is constantly evolving, not everyone can please it.
Some want long battery life, some want instant availability ... It doesn't go with today's technology.
Instead of unattainable wishes, you need to change your thinking and adapt to the possibilities as you write ...

Finally some predictable nice weather. Charged all three batteries the night before, went out on my electric bike (not charged since last year but stays ready for use) and I think my videos have the "Dutch Tilt"

Never had this problem before with Anafi.

You have to remember the battery cells used in the Anafi are HV LI-ION - which basically means cells which have been tested and binned so that they can be charged to a higher termination voltage (instead of 4.2V like a normal cell, they are charged to 4.35V), this causes them to 'wear' quickly - hence the reason to not store them fully charged, above 80% and below 20% cell charge is when 'wear' occurs!

Finally some predictable nice weather. Charged all three batteries the night before, went out on my electric bike (not charged since last year but stays ready for use) and I think my videos have the "Dutch Tilt"

Never had this problem before with Anafi.

Hopefully it can be fixed via a camera calibration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quinzee