Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Battery insulation

daws901

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have had any experience with insulating a battery with foil (or anything reflective, tin foil would very likely cause interference) in cold weather? Silver inside and black outside

I consider that the best way in cold weather is to keep the battery warm with your body heat e.g. in your pocket, until use. Whilst in use the battery will emit heat itself. As it is in a sealed container that will be sufficient to keep it warm throughout the flight although flight times may be less in cold weather. As you live in Guernsey what cold temperatures are you thinking of?

If you intend to fly in cold weather you can warm your batteries up before you fly by simply putting it in your warmest pocket.

It has been my experience that cold weather doesn’t effect battery performance as much as some would have you believe. In normal use the battery creates enough heat to counteract most winter temperatures in mid-European latitudes especially if pre-warmed using the intimate pocket method ?

Regards

Nidge

Edit: Liger 1956 pipped me to the post ?

I'm not too worried about experiencing low flying temperatures really in Guernsey, though the wind chill would be something to take due care of. I'd really like to fly some times in the Alps/ mountainous areas so that would be where my main concern would be!

The pocket method is something I have considered, but there are still plenty of stories of people having failures at 20% or even higher. I never push my battery past 20% even in normal flight conditions, it's bad for the battery degradation. Have to keep it between 20-80% for Li based batteries.

Reactions: dashSolo
From Anafi Manual Version 2.6 published on sept 2nd of this year

Finally, note that ANAFI’s smart battery will only allow charge in ambient temperatures
between +10°C and +45°C, (50°F-113°F) and that using ANAFI in temperatures approaching 0°C (32°F) will
reduce its flying time. To minimize this slight drop in the smart battery’s capacity, keep your
battery as warm as possible before starting a flight in a cold environment.

--

The manual states the lowest is 14 degrees farenheit for the anafi with no battery. (maybe props will start to crack?) As far as flying I think 40°F is a good number, although manual says you can fly lower. You could do quick 10 min flights if it's colder and no long range stuff. I would think it would have little impact on them since they are already insulated in the plastic, just keep them right close to your body in pants pocket before flying. You should warm the battery to at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit before you do any charging.

As far as the anafi giving low temp warnings for battery or structure, I have not tried it yet.

Last edited:
I'm not too worried about experiencing low flying temperatures really in Guernsey, though the wind chill would be something to take due care of. I'd really like to fly some times in the Alps/ mountainous areas so that would be where my main concern would be!

The pocket method is something I have considered, but there are still plenty of stories of people having failures at 20% or even higher. I never push my battery past 20% even in normal flight conditions, it's bad for the battery degradation. Have to keep it between 20-80% for Li based batteries.
Wind chill measure only affects skin, it's not a mechanical gage other than that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking