Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bebop 2 fell out of the sky - third time :-(

speagles2

Reaction score
Hi all

I got the Bebop2 FPV kit just after Christmas and love it - but it just fell out of the sky for the third time, so I think I'm going to have to return it :-(

All three occasions have been at low height, flying slowly in video mode, not using FPV, with the drone just a few meters away from me.

1. The first time I was making a climbing right turn at about 2m and it suddently just pitched forwards into the ground. Luckily it was on soft grass, and no harm was done. I wondered at the time whether I had somehow accidentally invoked the 'forward flip' by inadverently pressing the B button on the skycontroller while I was flying with the left stick forward, but it seemed unlikely.

2. The second time I was hovering the drone just in front of me, again at about 2m, when it suddely veered to the left and into a nearby bush. Again, a soft landing so no harm done. On this occasion I wondered whether the downward camera had become confused by the fact that it was hovering over some low shrubs and there was a breeze, so I thought perhaps the leaves waving underneath had tricked it into thinking it was drifting rapidly sideways.

3. Today I was showing it to some friends in the back yard and again was hovering at about 3m about 1 minute after taking off, with the drone just a couple of meters in front of us, and it suddently flipped over and fell to the ground, landing upside-down on gravel with enough force to cause the battery to pop out. It all happened very quickly, but I"m pretty sure the motors cut out while it was in the air.

One thing I noticed on all three occasions is that there is no video footage of the moment that control was lost. In other 'flyaway' videos I've seen online the drone continues to record while it is spinning out of control, but in each of the above incidents the video just stops while the drone is flying normally. my.parrot does not record the flight as a 'crash' either. This leads me to think that the drone has momentarily lost power or reset itself while in the air. All three times have been with a fully-charged battery, shortly after takeoff, on flights where I was just intending to do some low speed manouvering. This is the new bebop 2 FPV kit with the blue tail light and the power battery.

The other issue I hit today was that the skycontroller 2 wouldn't power up, although the battery should've been mostly full, so today I was flying with the phone. I charged the skycontroller until the light went green and it still won't power up :-( I opened the battery compartment and it has the cylindrical battery, which I understand is dodgy. Sigh.

I'm feeing really disappointed right now, as I've absolutely loved flying the drone over the week and a half since I got it, and I love the video it can produce. I'm hoping Officeworks won't have any quibbles over exchanging it under warranty, but now I'm worried that even if I exchange it I may get another one with similar issues.

Not really looking for answers from the forum, just wanted to share my experience :-(

Hi all

I got the Bebop2 FPV kit just after Christmas and love it - but it just fell out of the sky for the third time, so I think I'm going to have to return it :-(

All three occasions have been at low height, flying slowly in video mode, not using FPV, with the drone just a few meters away from me.

1. The first time I was making a climbing right turn at about 2m and it suddently just pitched forwards into the ground. Luckily it was on soft grass, and no harm was done. I wondered at the time whether I had somehow accidentally invoked the 'forward flip' by inadverently pressing the B button on the skycontroller while I was flying with the left stick forward, but it seemed unlikely.

2. The second time I was hovering the drone just in front of me, again at about 2m, when it suddely veered to the left and into a nearby bush. Again, a soft landing so no harm done. On this occasion I wondered whether the downward camera had become confused by the fact that it was hovering over some low shrubs and there was a breeze, so I thought perhaps the leaves waving underneath had tricked it into thinking it was drifting rapidly sideways.

3. Today I was showing it to some friends in the back yard and again was hovering at about 3m about 1 minute after taking off, with the drone just a couple of meters in front of us, and it suddently flipped over and fell to the ground, landing upside-down on gravel with enough force to cause the battery to pop out. It all happened very quickly, but I"m pretty sure the motors cut out while it was in the air.

One thing I noticed on all three occasions is that there is no video footage of the moment that control was lost. In other 'flyaway' videos I've seen online the drone continues to record while it is spinning out of control, but in each of the above incidents the video just stops while the drone is flying normally. my.parrot does not record the flight as a 'crash' either. This leads me to think that the drone has momentarily lost power or reset itself while in the air. All three times have been with a fully-charged battery, shortly after takeoff, on flights where I was just intending to do some low speed manouvering. This is the new bebop 2 FPV kit with the blue tail light and the power battery.

The other issue I hit today was that the skycontroller 2 wouldn't power up, although the battery should've been mostly full, so today I was flying with the phone. I charged the skycontroller until the light went green and it still won't power up :-( I opened the battery compartment and it has the cylindrical battery, which I understand is dodgy. Sigh.

I'm feeing really disappointed right now, as I've absolutely loved flying the drone over the week and a half since I got it, and I love the video it can produce. I'm hoping Officeworks won't have any quibbles over exchanging it under warranty, but now I'm worried that even if I exchange it I may get another one with similar issues.

Not really looking for answers from the forum, just wanted to share my experience :-(
Ok, I got my drone about a month ago, but I have not had the issues you are experiencing. I've taken it to a local lake and flew it away till I lost connection. It was nearly 2 miles before RTH kicked in. It is a man made item, I'm sure if you trade it in the new one will work good.

Ok, so I boxed everything back up and returned it to the store this morning and to their credit after I explained the issue they exchanged it straight away. So I now have a complete new bebop 2 FPV kit. Charging everything up tonight and it's the same spec as before - power battery, blue tail light on the drone and the skycontroller 2p with the cylindrical battery. Hopefully I'll get time for a test flight tomorrow - fingers crossed that the new one won't have the same problem...

Incidentally I was able to revive the previous controller by unplugging and re-plugging the battery - after that it powered up first time. Again, will just have to wait and see how things go with the new one...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut