Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bird Of Prey Talon and Anafi Switch

ParrotAnafiFan

Reaction score
I am hasty to turning the drone or the battery itself on by the button as I assume we all are. I was looking at the Anafi's battery and was able to turn it on just by squeezing it in the palm of my hand, with all fingers wrapped around it. I tried and succeeded each time. This is bad news if a bird such as a hawk or eagles talon clutches it. The drone will shutdown in mid air everytime from this simple strike. I have not tested this idea to action, but my thoughts are that it well shutdown and fall. The talon strike is used every time and beaks are probably never used. There are no 3D printed parts or tape you can cover it with becasue that risks shutting off in air itself as well. A raised 3D part may work but adds weight. They should have designed it indented or incased such as mavic mini. But then with the mavic mini a smaller bird or bug could take that out.

Maybe the annafi could sense a bird or bug strike and do an auto return to home with that message for damage inspection, because as you know bugs will chase and birds will chase. In the spring some big bee common in North America (I think it's a carpenter bee will hover and go after anything flying plane bird anything in the air even. So getting out of the area would be ideal via autodetect.

-Object Strike detected: Returning to Home.

Last edited:
All it takes is a large bug big enough to hit the props. This will cause the motors to stop and the Anafi will just drop. If a bird of prey was to attack the Anafi you can kiss your Anafi bye bye. I have seen videos of hawks and eagles taking out the Yuneec typhoon Hex. Thats six motors and a very large drone that did not stand a chance from birds of prey. The only way to get past them is to increase your Alt. so they cannot not dive at your poor Anafi and hopefully they will give up and you can land safely.

I always thought they grab for the area with no spinning props aka back body. I also thought if the anafi did survive a strike and props were ok and turned sideways or upside down it would stabilize itself with gyros

But yeah that would F%%%%%% wreck it......

cf2b496e7874a8c20b8e41b98ba3b8ca.jpg

eagles btw and armor on skin

I'm not sure how much force it takes to send the signal to shut down the motors when something hits the props but its not very much from my experience. Practicing hand landings I have hit my fingers a few times just barley enough to notice and the motors shut down. I live out in the country where we have a pretty good population of bald eagles. I see them down at the river I fly at a lot. Most times they cannot be bothered with my little Anafi but I have seen some start to circle high above and I know its time to bring it home. The birds I have the biggest problem with are crows. Those **** things do barrow rolls toward the Anafi and try to knock it out of the sky with their wings. They tend to be very territorial especially when they have young.

If a bird grabs "your bird", you don't need to worry that it switches off the Anafi.
Since it will almost certainly hit one propeller before it tries to grab any part of your done.
So the bird stops the motors anyway.
And I don't think, that Anafis have a midair restart option, like the Mavic Pro has/had at least.

Edit: Have you tried this switching off with running motors?

I can imagine, that there might be a different outcome, during motors are on already.
Try handstart, don't throw, try to hit the button without cutting your fingers.
But that may still be something else, if in the air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut