Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Birds that don't like the Anafi

Joe_Scot

Reaction score
Partly for practical reasons, and partly for fun, I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of birds that clearly despise our own 'bird'. Not the ones that fly and hide, but those that seem to appear out of nowhere, call their friends for support, and seek to make us retreat. I've flown in Scotland and England so far, and my shortlist is very .... short. So, I'm sure with everyone here living around the globe, we could compile quite a varied list!

I'd also be interested to know, has anyone ever had a bird knock their drone out of the sky?

My shortlist:

1) Oystercatcher: Detests the Anafi and brings reinforcements from nowhere. Circles relentlessly, squawking continuously, and has an evil-looking red eye that tells you you just have to land ASAP.
2) Seagull: Seems to have plenty of mates, one seagull can rouse 50 colleagues in under a minute. Big, flappy and unpredictable. Best to land immediately.

Photos below from yesterday, with the picturesque Glengoyne Distillery in the background. Five oystercatchers appeared out of nowhere almost immediately after take-off. They can be quite hard to photograph normally.... unless you have an Anafi with video recording as you try to escape!

Oystercatchers.... too close for comfort:

20190512_Anafi_image_000477_resized.jpg 20190512_Anafi_image_000086_resized.jpg 20190512_Anafi_image_000095_resized.jpg 20190512_Anafi_image_000327_resized.jpg

I was at the beach recently and was concerned about the Seagulls but I guess they were busy collecting garbage at the campground :). The only other bird that has come close to the Anafi in my area was a Raven that gave it a fly by but then went about its business.

Was filming above an old church for a family member's wedding in St. Louis recently and attracted some sparrows. First it was just one but it was quickly joined by up to 5 or 6 others. They didn't actively engage my Anafi but it looked like they were swooping in pretty close. Didn't see any in my footage, though.

Reactions: BrianB
Partly for practical reasons, and partly for fun, I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of birds that clearly despise our own 'bird'. Not the ones that fly and hide, but those that seem to appear out of nowhere, call their friends for support, and seek to make us retreat. I've flown in Scotland and England so far, and my shortlist is very .... short. So, I'm sure with everyone here living around the globe, we could compile quite a varied list!

I'd also be interested to know, has anyone ever had a bird knock their drone out of the sky?

My shortlist:

1) Oystercatcher: Detests the Anafi and brings reinforcements from nowhere. Circles relentlessly, squawking continuously, and has an evil-looking red eye that tells you you just have to land ASAP.
2) Seagull: Seems to have plenty of mates, one seagull can rouse 50 colleagues in under a minute. Big, flappy and unpredictable. Best to land immediately.

Photos below from yesterday, with the picturesque Glengoyne Distillery in the background. Five oystercatchers appeared out of nowhere almost immediately after take-off. They can be quite hard to photograph normally.... unless you have an Anafi with video recording as you try to escape!

Oystercatchers.... too close for comfort:

View attachment 2046 View attachment 2047 View attachment 2048 View attachment 2049
Beautiful country.....

Reactions: Joe_Scot
Although I've seen video of that it hasn't happened to me, yet! And I hope it never does, because what I have to deal with is various hawks, and they are vicious if they decide to attack. I had that happen to me in a sailplane many years ago and I had to do a Split S to get away! :oops:

I've heard of drones being taken out by hawks. I'm guessing birds of prey might be more prone to do it to protect their territory.

I've seen this behavior of birds only in the time, if they have somewhere youngsters. It doesn't matter if it is a drone or a plane. Only with a helicopter (seize 550—600) I haven't recognized this one in any case (maybe to loud and to big ;))

In the UK on the South Coast gulls are a problem at nesting time (even at home on the roof where "flock off" strips are installed).

Never hit one and I think they just try and scare the drone off.

I've noticed Oystercatchers and Swifts are particularly attracted to following it, but they haven't attacked. Buzzards have also hade a good look a couple of times.

I think buzzards like to have a look at drones, but they keep a respectful distance. Swallows and their cousins the swifts and martins seem to love drones and perform like porpoises do, playing with the drone, clearly aware of their massive superiority as "dogfighters", unless of course the drone does its speciality move. No bird can climb vertically as a drone can. Whenever you have issues with birds and you want to get away straight up is the best option with any form of a quadcopter, which is why I have my vertical speed maxed out in the settings, even for film mode. I have an image of a bird circling angrily then seeing the drone shoot straight up and the bird doing the equivalent of getting his comb out and pretending he wasn't up for a drag race after all, everything's cool man, everything's just cool.
My nightmare is mallards. They have so much weight and speed that they could knock a drone out the sky with a glancing blow, and they often fly in pairs which has to increase the chances of a non-malicious impact. I have had two drones drop from a great height for no obvious reason and I am left to speculate about the relative plausibility of spontaneous catastrophic prop failure, enemy fire and collision with a bird.
Ground-nesting birds can be particularly persistent with their aggressive circling. Just pull up and move away.
Pigeons flying in formation can be an effective laxative also. (Screengrab, footage from Mavic Pro, North Rode Parish Church featuring five of its residents).

Reactions: pmh1nic
I’ve gotten swallows on one of my first flights. The circling is because they flock together to create confusion for the predator which in their mind is your Anafi. Hummingbirds will fly right up to your camera if you are in their domain. Hawks give me the stink eye when they see me flying near but usually stay roosted and the zoom helps capture them without disturbing them. I put a checkerboard skin on mine and that makes it less sinister for feathered friends and helps with humans as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Except a hummingbird! :giggle: Don't think you would have a problem with them!

I considered adding that caveat myself. They're not indigenous to England so I am prepared to take my chances and say ALWAYS go straight up whenever you feel birds have come too close. That's yet another reason why the Anafi is better, although legally I can only fly to 400 feet the Anafi offers a safety margin above that. If I am flying my Mavic Pro at maximum legal altitude it won't let me go a touch higher even in an emergency.

That's an interesting list of birds - and experiences! Thanks all for the contributions. Glad to see that actual bird strikes don't seem to be too common - hope our collective luck continues.

I've had issues with humming birds around my area they seem to be attracted as it's happened several times now, I move along right away as I'd hate to tag one.

I think if you put some kind flower collar around your camera in a bright red, they’d come right up to it. If you hovered and set your video to slow motion you’d probably capture one up close. I’ve got a crashed Anafi for parts so maybe I’ll take the camera housing off that one and paint it and try it myself. I got hummers on my Yuneec often because I painted the CGO3 housing bright red. They are not intimidated by the blades and clearly know how to avoid them. The Anafi being smaller and quieter is perfect for this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking