Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Can I instruct Anafi to land where it started flight when battery is low.

Pretty Parrot

Reaction score
A few times recently the Anafi has just landed on it's own at the place it was at the time. Obviously if over water that would be a disaster. It has made this landing several times even when the battery looked good. A couple of times around15 minutes of flight.

Can I instruct Anafi to land where it started flight when battery is low?

My Anafi & batteries are just over two years old, surely the batteries are not bad after such a short time. I probably make 20 to 30 flights a year?

I’m not so confident as you are.
your battery seems to be bad now. It’s possible that in few moment, it will shut off before starting an autolanding procedure.
You could find some threats about the batteries on this forum.
And to answer your question: no, it’s not possible.

here is the kind of disaster you’re talking about:

Thanks.

It seems strange that with the hi tech that is in the drone, that if the battery is getting low, it just doesn't fly back to it's starting point, thus no loss.

Thanks.

It seems strange that with the hi tech that is in the drone, that if the battery is getting low, it just doesn't fly back to it's starting point, thus no loss.
If energy is low for whatever reason, a RTH is no option, because home could be too far away to reach with the remaining energy.
Instead the drone must land as soon as possible.

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
If energy is low for whatever reason, a RTH is no option, because home could be too far away to reach with the remaining energy.
Instead the drone must land as soon as possible.
Yes I appreciate that. But as I said with the hi tech in the drone, it should trigger a return to home, based on how far from home, & the battery power left. Even if it let you move it forward back or sideways, as it came down would be a help, but nothing. Anyhow thanks for your thoughts.

Yes I appreciate that. But as I said with the hi tech in the drone, it should trigger a return to home, based on how far from home, & the battery power left. Even if it let you move it forward back or sideways, as it came down would be a help, but nothing. Anyhow thanks for your thoughts.
There is no such thing as a 100% reliable structure. Even on airplanes, there is always a spare (redundant) of everything.
If the battery is healthy, it will return to the home point if the battery is dead.
The Parrot Anafi's battery is maxed out to achieve 25 minutes of flight time.
People don't know this and regularly drain the battery, which therefore quickly fails. This is when the voltage drops so suddenly that it immediately landing (in the worst case, it falls off).
This is why you need to monitor the % battery life in the freeflight app (this is not the state of charge, but the state of health)
It is recommended to use the modified Freeflight6 app which shows the voltage. Freeflight 6 mod app - With Special Features
And it is very important to manage the battery correctly during its lifetime: What you should know about Anafi batteries

We are talking about "low battery" in this thread. That means only a few minutes of flight time. With a bad battery there are possibly even only a few seconds left.
No intelligence would be able to give more energy to the drone in this situation and the pilot could make the situation even worse.
There is no choice for the drone: land soon or crash from a possibly high position.

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
Most of the problems seem to occur when a sudden drop in voltage is experienced. That is a virtual killer.
We experience this effect during a storm when lights flicker but the TV or desktop pc restart.
The drone , in this case, just falls off the sky.

Low voltage is predictable and could be programmed by accessing the internal OS system. But then again, we dont want it to auto-land on the back of cousin Wilmer‘s mule...

Most of the problems seem to occur when a sudden drop in voltage is experienced. That is a virtual killer.
We experience this effect during a storm when lights flicker but the TV or desktop pc restart.
The drone , in this case, just falls off the sky.

Low voltage is predictable and could be programmed by accessing the internal OS system. But then again, we dont want it to auto-land on the back of cousin Wilmer‘s mule...
Or indeed land on Wilmers mule, as it will with no guidence. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame