Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Crashed and blame myself

Divepanama

Reaction score
So on flight number 61 I crashed my Anafi. I was just practicing with it and had changed batteries for my last flight of the day with it. Anyways, I was coming in for the landing but way too high. My RTH is set for 150 feet because of the tall pines that surround my house. What I hadn't paid attention to was that my return height was actually closer to 300 because I I had been taking pictures of the sunset over the ridge line above my house. I watched the Anafi come over and start landing. As it decended I noticed I had only 5% battery left at about 80-90 feet. I figured I cut it too close but it would make the landing no issue, especially since I came in on the last battery at 7%. Right then I watched the Anafi completely shut down and fall. Unfortunately I was landing on my gravel driveway so the crash was a rough one.

So here are some take aways from my own stupidity.
1. Don't push batteries that hard. It was especially frustrating because my normal rule is RTH at 20% no matter what. This day I violated it and paid the price.

2. If anything gets wonky immediately RTH. On this flight my flight app actually closed down. The first time that has ever happened. Once I got it back up I fooled around for a couple of minutes doing panorama shots. My gut feeling here is that when the app restarted the battery remaining info was not correct. I believe this is confirmed that when I looked at the flight log on this last flight it showed 0 crashes.

3. Fatigue causes dumb decisions. I had been at an event earlier that day and was wore out. My critical decision making process was not where it should be, see #2.

Finally, the Anafi is one tough bird. I spent the next day taking it apart and making repairs. The arms suffered no damage. Had to only replace two prop blades. The top cover over the GPS unit had damage but was easily fixed. The only issue now is that the camera reads "vertical error" so the bird will not let the motors start even though everything else is green on status. Also, and back to the batteries, the battery that was in the bird was giving 4 red lights flashing when I recovered the bird. This also leads me to believe that the percentage being displayed after the app crash was incorrect and I actually drained the battery completely while still in the air and destroyed the cells in the process.

So what am I going to do now? First, I ordered a new bird along with another battery. That way I will have 3 batteries total. Why? Because, and taking out pilot stupidity such as mine, the Anafi is a great flying bird. Between it and my EVO I actually enjoy flying the Anafi much more. Now the camera on the EVO is better IMO but for flying the Anafi, at least for me, feels more intuitive and natural than the EVO. Besides, I have put a decent amount of money into Anafi accessories and really don't want those to go to waste LOL.

I will down the road contact Parrot and see how the process goes for replacement but after seeing so many threads concerning Parrot CS time I felt replacing on my own for now makes sense. Especially since it was my foolishness that brought about the crash.

Hopefully my experience will help others not make the same mistakes I made.

Peace out.

P.S some of the last photo's I took before the crash and why I really like this bird.P3720721.JPGP3760734.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: C. Mudgeon
Beautiful pics but bad experience. Sorry for your bird.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the crash. It reinforces that I should never be lax about my practice of starting the return to home with 30%.

...As it decended I noticed I had only 5% battery left at about 80-90 feet. I figured I cut it too close but it would make the landing no issue, especially since I came in on the last battery at 7%. Right then I watched the Anafi completely shut down and fall. Unfortunately I was landing on my gravel driveway so the crash was a rough one.

So here are some take aways from my own stupidity.
1. Don't push batteries that hard. It was especially frustrating because my normal rule is RTH at 20% no matter what. This day I violated it and paid the price.
Another one bites the dust. The problem with taking the battery down that low is that the readout of battery percentage is not all that accurate. You may see 5% and three seconds later the motors quit. The software is supposed to initiate landing at 3% and not simply shut down, but many others have experienced the exact same thing taking them by surprise. I no longer trust the automatic landing on low battery feature at all!

My numbers are even more conservative than yours, especially as the batteries age and get up in number of cycles. I use 40% as the limit at a mile or more, 25% if within half a mile, and 10% only if the drone is within 50 yards or less and low over land-able terrain. This limits my flight time to about 15 minutes, but I haven't run out of juice yet, either.

Reactions: Anafi6Fimi
Now we know what happens when batteries run out during RTH, a drop from the air.
Yeah trees would make RTH very hard

no collision senors!
****, don't fly near trees ✓ed on my pre flight list..
Don't set alt RTH too high around trees or too low ✓ed...
fly near soft ground ✓ed

Now we know what happens when batteries run out during RTH, a drop from the air.
Yeah trees would make RTH very hard

no collision senors!
****, don't fly near trees ✓ed on my pre flight list..
Don't set alt RTH too high around trees or too low ✓ed...
fly near soft ground ✓ed
Unfortunately if I fly at home I will always fly around very tall trees. Key takeaway for me was A) proper battery management, B) Don't fly when exhausted, C) pay attention to RTH at all times. Flying too high on a low battery is asking for trouble no matter where you are at.

Some days ago, I had almost the same bad experience with my Anafi.
The difference in my case was that during the flight I got 2 warnings saying "SD card malfunctioned". Both times stopping and restaring the video the message gone and the flight was perfect until the moment when the motor noise suddenly stopped and my poor Anafi fell of about 10 meters high crashing into the concrete ground. Moments before the crash the battery was at 30% !!!

Prior to this flight I had used the same SD card with no problem at all for many times. In both cases I see a similarity. A false battery level after a warning. Maybe it is coincidence but I am sure that my 30% wasn't real, when I tried to turn on my broken Anafi the battery seemed empty.

Having this experience, I think it would be a great improvement if somehow the smart battery contained an emergency cell giving a few more power for an emergency landing in these cases.
I think Parrot would have saved thousands of replacements.

btw, I am going to write my incident in Parrot Incidents when my time permits it, in the next days.

Can you correlate the length of the flight that ended in the crash with previous flights and see what battery level was left on previous flights at the same length of flight?
Also can you see the battery level jump in the data from the crash flight displayed in FF6 or the ShowAnafiLog software?

Can you correlate the length of the flight that ended in the crash with previous flights and see what battery level was left on previous flights at the same length of flight?
Also can you see the battery level jump in the data from the crash flight displayed in FF6 or the ShowAnafiLog software?

In my case, the flight took several minutes, I cannot tell with accuracy because, I was flying with SkyController 3 and my iPad Air2 (wifi only / no internet) in a small village of Peloponnese (Greece) so I cannot see the last flight logged neither in my parrot account nor in Freeflight6. In addittion, I haven't opened the log file from the sd card with ShowAnafiLog yet but I am going to do it asap. (Probably Saturday).

Regarding the flight length, I assume that every case is different, depending on highest altitude, Film mode / Sport Mode, winds, etc..., in this particular flight I didn't stretched the bird, heighest altitude was about 20-25 meters (if I remember well), no winds, temperature about 25c, film mode, perfect conditions and I flew for about 15-20 minutes. Battery level was at 86% before take off while I had fully charged it the day before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar