Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

deleted message

A couple of questions, though: are there any limitations to the kinds of missions I can have on Free Flight 6? Can I import CSV, KML or other format from an external source? Does it have smart RTH like most other flight apps? Will the drone keep flying its mission if it loses signal? (I know the Anafi has range issues, but I'm fine with it as long as it won't keep trying to RTH several times on a regular mission)

I'm quite a newbie, but I use Flight Plan a lot, so here are my 2 cents :
To me, the main limitations with Flight Plan are the lack of a PC software, you need to set your whole plan on your phone, a tablet is certainly more confortable (or use scrcpy or Team Viewer to display your phone on a wider screen, and use mouse and keyboard), also the fact that you can't easily plan flights below your initial altitude... of course the main issue is caused by the lack of obstacle avoidance, you need to have a serious source of altitude data, to prevent the drone to fly into obstacles like trees, antennas (ideally you should do a manual flight with your drone in sight on the whole site, and note the higher obstacles, before letting it do its flight alone, kilometers away). Also, for some reason I can't get the camera to move down to 90° *exactly*, I need to set the camera angle manually before starting the planned flight, with the left trigger on the controller, as the option to change the angle and speed of the camera movement in FF, is not 100% reliable for me.

Apparently you can't import other file formats, despite the fact that it should be easy to adapt kml or csv files to json, and add some data like yaw, points of interest, etc .. it's always time consuming to program anything seriously. Maybe you should ask pix4D if they can do that with your specific files, or try to write a script, and edit the files yourself... !

RTH is not really "smart", it's just about climbing to the altitude specified in your settings, come back in a straight line to the take off point, and voila. It's mostly activated when battery level is too low to finish the plan, or when you push on the RTH button on the controller - if the drone is not out of range, obviously.

The drone keeps flying the plan if the signal is lost, you just get some warnings on the screen, then you just pray...

Reactions: lemieszek
I'm quite a newbie, but I use Flight Plan a lot, so here are my 2 cents :
To me, the main limitations with Flight Plan are the lack of a PC software, you need to set your whole plan on your phone, a tablet is certainly more confortable (or use scrcpy or Team Viewer to display your phone on a wider screen, and use mouse and keyboard), also the fact that you can't easily plan flights below your initial altitude... of course the main issue is caused by the lack of obstacle avoidance, you need to have a serious source of altitude data, to prevent the drone to fly into obstacles like trees, antennas (ideally you should do a manual flight with your drone in sight on the whole site, and note the higher obstacles, before letting it do its flight alone, kilometers away). Also, for some reason I can't get the camera to move down to 90° *exactly*, I need to set the camera angle manually before starting the planned flight, with the left trigger on the controller, as the option to change the angle and speed of the camera movement in FF, is not 100% reliable for me.

Apparently you can't import other file formats, despite the fact that it should be easy to adapt kml or csv files to json, and add some data like yaw, points of interest, etc .. it's always time consuming to program anything seriously. Maybe you should ask pix4D if they can do that with your specific files, or try to write a script, and edit the files yourself... !

RTH is not really "smart", it's just about climbing to the altitude specified in your settings, come back in a straight line to the take off point, and voila. It's mostly activated when battery level is too low to finish the plan, or when you push on the RTH button on the controller - if the drone is not out of range, obviously.

The drone keeps flying the plan if the signal is lost, you just get some warnings on the screen, then you just pray...
RTH isn't really "smart"?
Why else do you need to know?
Smart RTH provides protection against two things: low battery and connection failure. In both cases, the procedure is the same: it rises to the set height and starts towards the home point. I also have Spark and the same thing happens there.
Note that Parrot has no obstacle sensors, so the RTH height must be set higher than the obstacle.
If you fly through obstacles, in the woods, between houses, you can a
Skydio2 is right.

You might also want to look into this post. Although it is not fully tested it does work and can give you a few more options for laying out a mission on a computer.

The "smart" (hate that word) part of the RTH is keeping track of how much battery the drone needs to get home (as opposed to returning to home at, say, 30% battery).

This works well with the Anafi, too, as I explained, usually it keeps a secure margin in addition to the charge needed to come home (at least with a healthy battery).

RTH isn't really "smart"?
Why else do you need to know?
Smart RTH provides protection against two things: low battery and connection failure. In both cases, the procedure is the same: it rises to the set height and starts towards the home point

False, in case of connection failure, with Flight Plan on, RTH is NOT automatically activated. You get a warning, but you are free to choose. And that's fine for me. I did it a few times already, ithappened again today, and the drone finished the plan with most of the flight path without any connection, and then came back, finishing the plan.

Edit : that said I don't want to argue, maybe in other countries it reacts differently, and the Anafi aborts any flight plan after losing connection, it's just not the case with mine ! It's well known that drone manufacturers adapt their hardware/software to the local legislation...

Last edited:
You can't plan a mission on a computer, but you can clone the smartphone screen on your computer using TeamViewer and use the mouse to place waypoints and edit their properties. This is much easier and more accurate than doing it on the small screen.

Or like I have a Samsung s8 + phone, there's DeX.
But I think the phone can be connected to a monitor with a USB to HDMI converter.

Also, I've seen seen external range boosters offered for the Anafi RC. Do they work? With the Spark, it's amazing how well a 3D printed parabolic shell with tin foil will do to range).
A simple 10" aluminum pie pan with a cut-out to slide over the antenna will double the range easily. Page 2 Post #22

I like using a rectangular foil lasagna pan.$1.25 CAD has greatly reduced my signal drop-out over the last 40 flights.Having said that,the signal seems to be much more directional.

I use Flight Plan 50% of the time and just switch from my Note 10 to my TAB S3 that give me plenty point control on a 10
screen. I also follow the same process when flying my DJI Inspire 2 If I need waypoints and Litchi I use a large tablet 10 iinch work well.

Another "limitation" of Flight Plan, if you need to fly the same path later and that the ground is not flat, is that you have to take off from the same position or height. Even switching from hand launch, to take off from the ground, you may notice the difference, if flying close to some treetops or obstacles, so better keep that in mind ! (Flight files record a "true" altitude, but I don't think you can set that up with Flight Plan.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut