Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dirty J - Landing Leg Protectors

d95gas

Reaction score
Guys,

Just purchased all the "Dirty J" Anafi stuff, fantastic service, only a few days to UK.

Anyway, any tips for putting the leg protectors on. I have followed his instructions carefully, but worried about breaking either the leg or the protector, killed my finger tips trying to get the top bit onto the leg.

Apart from that, really nice products.

I also got the:

• Small Anafi Tablet Mount (Will be using with my Huawei M5)
  • Battery Protectors
  • Kicker
  • Bit that you slide in to turn the power off.

All well made and look great.

Thanks

For me I put them on as far as I can with my fingers and then take a very small flat headed screw driver and pry a little bit at a time till they slip on. The protectors are pretty tough so they will not break. I have them on both my Anafis.
I have heard of people dropping them into boiling water to soften them up but have never tried that so I don't know if that works or not.

Thanks Augustine, will do the screwdriver trick. Just didn't want to force anything till I heard they were pretty tough. Thanks

I installed the Dirty J leg protectors on my Anafi today. When I took it out for a flight I consistently got poor wifi connection on the Sky Controller and it would ask if I wanted to RTH. The image quality on my iPhone was terrible and very pixelated.
I have flown previously at the same site without the leg protectors and never had wifi issues before. I am about to believe that the leg protectors may interfere with the antennas and decrease the wifi transmission signal from the Anafi to the Sky Controller. Here is the graph from one of the flights. Have you guys had a similar issue? Cheers
Flight2.jpg I have

Reactions: Ratmir
I have two Anafis, both with the leg protectors and I can fly as far as I could when they were stock. Think you have some kind of other problem. Nobody has ever complained about them stopping the signal.

Some PLA and ABS materials can have a high carbon content. When used in close proximity to antennas, such as those in the Anafi, they can cause detuning of the antennas.

Not all PLA and ABS filaments used in 3D printing are created equal so it’s possible that Augustine and cdalmeida received prints made from different batches/manufacturers of filament.

Caveat: This is just a hypothesis.

Regards

Nidge.

Reactions: Ratmir and Landbo
Some PLA and ABS materials can have a high carbon content. When used in close proximity to antennas, such as those in the Anafi, they can cause detuning of the antennas.

Not all PLA and ABS filaments used in 3D printing are created equal so it’s possible that Augustine and cdalmeida received prints made from different batches/manufacturers of filament.

Caveat: This is just a hypothesis.

Regards

Nidge.

Yes your hypothesis can very easily turn out to be true. I have read an article somewhere here on the web where a laboratory tested various recycled PLA, ABS and PTEG filaments. It turned out that almost all of the tested rolls were contaminated with something. Below, carbon was mentioned because it comes in the mentioned materials to reinforce them.

But it will probably be reasonably easy to take the feet off again and fly the same trip to test whether it is those who affect the connection to Anafi. It will, of course, be best to make the two flights one after the other to ensure the external influences are as similar as possible.

Regards, Leif.

Reactions: Ratmir
Before buying mine I talked to Johnny the owner and he said they are made out of the same material they make Cell phone cases out of not the normal 3D printing material for model building. Now what the name is I really could not say but you would think if it is a standard in the industry for cell phone cases it would not interfere signals. The best test would be to remove them and see if this helps. There are some reporting on the Parrots Facebook page that since the last update their signal is not as good and blame the update. I for one have not seen this.

Reactions: dmbrody
This is the material he uses
"These protectors are 3d printed from nearly unbreakable TPU, the same stuff tough cell phone cases are made from. "

What Is TPU Filament?
TPU, or Thermoplastic Polyurethane is a very common form of elastic polymer, or elastomer, capable of being used on any properly equipped FDM 3D printer. Of the many kinds of flexible 3D printer filaments, TPU is slightly more rigid, making it easier to extrude and use. It is a medium-strength material with very high flexibility and durability, able to withstand much higher compressive and tensile forces than its more common counterparts PLA and ABS.

Quick Reference Guide:

• Nozzle temp: 210º – 230º C (may vary)
  • Bed Temp: 20º – 60º C (but not required)
  • Warping: Minimal
  • Shrinkage: Minimal
  • Print speed: Around 30 mm/s (may vary)
  • Strength: Medium
  • Flexibility: Very High
  • Durability: Very High
  • Abrasion Resistance: Very High
  • Soluble: No
  • Hygroscopic: Yes
  • Food safe: No
  • Fumes: Minimal
  • Recommended Extruder: Direct Drive (Bowden OK with calibration)
In-Depth Description:

To print high quality parts properly without jamming, a direct drive extruder is recommended, however with the proper settings and calibration, decent quality prints can be achieved using a Bowden setup. This means that your success with TPU filament will be largely based on your printer setup and how well you are able to calibrate it before printing. Before doing any large, time-consuming, or difficult prints, we recommend doing a few small test prints with TPU in order to fine-tune your settings.

When printing, TPU has minimal warping and shrinkage, and like PLA doesn’t require a heated bed, although it is recommended. The recommended print temperature is between 210°C and 230°C, but may vary based on the manufacturer. One downside to TPU is the printing speeds, which are rarely higher than 30 mm/s. This is because it’s difficult to push the proper amount of filament through the hot end, resulting in prints taking a lot longer to complete. TPU doesn’t produce any notable levels of fumes while printing, but it is not considered to be food safe. TPU is a non-soluble material, but it is hygroscopic, meaning that it will degrade in wet conditions.

TPU filament is commonly used to 3D print a wide variety of items. For everyday use, TPU is great for making custom phone cases, rubber mats, and stress toys. In the R/C hobby department, TPU can be used for tires or shock absorbers, and is even occasionally utilized to make o-rings and seals. In the world of DIY, TPU is fantastic for flexible parts or casings, as well as parts that need to have resistance to sudden impacts and movement, for applications such as vibration dampening and shock absorption.

In short, if you need to make a custom rubber piece quick and relatively easily, TPU is your go-to material.

Thank you all for your feedback. I will do a with and w/o test to see if I can find any significant difference.

I found this article on the Anafi Wifi signal very interesting. Sharing the link for those that are not familiar with it.

Reactions: Nidge
I found this article on the Anafi Wifi signal very interesting. Sharing the link for those that are not familiar with it.
Thank you for the article.

Unfortunately it creates more questions for me, specifically what is the claimed gain of the antenna in the Skycontroller?

In most parts of the EU the max EIRP allowed on 2.4GHz is 200milliwatts (100milliwatts is some regions including the UK) but the Skycontroller only supplies 15dBm, or 31milliwatts to the antenna. I’m presuming Parrot’s figures are indeed as applied to the antenna and not in actuality EIRP otherwise I’d be seriously p1$$€d off. Also according to the article they have prevented the use of 5.8GHz in the EU yet even before I implemented the software mod I was able to access this band.

Curiouser, and curiouser.

Nidge.

I am super glad I did some searching through the forums. I recently had a bit of a hard landing which made one of the legs unlock from the holder. I was thinking I would need to but the repair frame and tear down and rebuild. But I came across the dirty J leg boot solution and am happy to report that it looks like they solved the problem. No issues with flight time or blocked signal. Happy to report all is well to fly another day.

Sidd

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar