Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Downloading videos through battery USB to windows

Anafri5

Reaction score
Hi.

Has anyone succeded in downloading videos from the anafi by connecting it's USB 3 port to a windows computer ?

None of my windows 10 computers recognize the Anafi as a USB drive, i've read that it should, am i wrong ?

Thanks.

No, you are not wrong. However, you must turn on the Anafi for the computer to see it as an external drive. Otherwise the USB is merely charging the battery.

This is how I download all my videos and photos so I don't have to remove the micro SD card. It is slightly slower so for a long video in 4K mode it might be worth putting the card in its carrier and inserting it into the SD slot if your computer has one.

Thx Rocky for the answer, i should have specified that i turned it on both before and after trying to plug it in, tried several cables etc...without having any of my computers recognize the Anafi.

At least i now know that it is possible to do, as i'm not comfortable with using the fragile sd contraption too much on the Anafi.

I'm wondering if there is any kind of drivers available for the Anafi, i'm on the last win 10 update and Anafi firmware.

Reactions: vekthor
Hi there

A while ago, i was having the same problem as you, and the culprit was an USB cable that was not up to the standard.
Are you using the original (out of the box) usb cable or a third party cable?
Some cables only charge, and other can both charge and transfer data.

Check plz it if that is the case.

Fly safe.

Thx Rocky for the answer, i should have specified that i turned it on both before and after trying to plug it in, tried several cables etc...without having any of my computers recognize the Anafi.

At least i now know that it is possible to do, as i'm not comfortable with using the fragile sd contraption too much on the Anafi.

I'm wondering if there is any kind of drivers available for the Anafi, i'm on the last win 10 update and Anafi firmware.
There is no driver for Anafi. I also use it over the USB port with W10 without problems. Its important to use a USB-C to USB A cable that is able to charge and SYNC.

Reactions: RedDeviluk

There is no driver for Anafi. I also use it over the USB port with W10 without problems. Its important to use a USB-C to USB A cable that is able to charge and SYNC.

Reactions: RedDeviluk
Yep original cable also tried a lot of other ones known to work, did a reset of battery then a reset of the Anafi still doesn't work , i'm starting to think my Anafi might have a problem.:oops:

No i don't actually have a spare battery, it might be a good reason to buy one and try.(y)

Hi.

Has anyone succeded in downloading videos from the anafi by connecting it's USB 3 port to a windows computer ?

None of my windows 10 computers recognize the Anafi as a USB drive, i've read that it should, am i wrong ?

Thanks.

Hi.

If your USB A - USB-C cable works between your phone and the controller, you can count on it also working between Anafi's battery and your Windows computer. However, it is assumed that the cable is not home-modified.

I just tried inserting a cable between the battery on my Anafi and Windows 10 computer. If the Anafi is not turned on, the computer charges the battery but when I turn on the Anafi, I hear the familiar sound from inserting a USB connector into the computer. I can of course copy video back and forth between Anafi and my Windows computer, delete files, etc..

I personally, however, always take my SD card out of Anafi and use an external SD card reader. It is 15 times faster. I've done that over 200 times without destroying the SD card holder.

If it does not work the way I have described, I recommend that you make a cold start of your Windows computer.

Good luck, sincerely, Leif.

Reactions: Frank Candor
Hi.

Thanks.
Go into your "device manager" through your control panel or settings on the PC and see if there are any problems with the USB devices/controllers listed (triangle or exclamation)...Then try updating the driver that is listed by right-clicking on the USB controllers/devices even if they don't have any indications of problems.
Have you tried attaching some other USB storage type device to the PC to see if it will recognize/read that?

Hi,
I always extract my photos/videos throu the battery using USB-cable, when connectet (and turned on) my computer (Win10) assign the Anafi a driveletter ( Anafi F: )
and can be used as a regular USB-drive.
My filetransferrate is 19-21Mb/sek (using a 64Gb A3-class SD-card) and is sufficent for me, takes abt 3-4min (coffee-time) to download my most recent adventures.
This little delicate SD-card hinge is nothing I trust to last for long, so i leave it be using the USB-cable.

To be sure of instant connection you should use an bidirectional OTG-USB cable. Search for "OTG USB cable"

To check if the problem comes from your Anafi, did you try connecting your bird to another windows 10 computer/another usb C cable ?
I use this connection to my Windows 10 Surface Pro PC with the latest updates and it works flawlessly since more than a year.

I used to use the usb C to usb PC port to transfer, but it does require the Anafi to be powered on. This unfortunately draws down the battery while the transfer is happening.

I'm finding it much easier to simply remove the memory card gently, transfer the files and reinsert it afterward.

Both ways to download the mp4 files from Anafi either via battery and USB cable or removing the micro SD card have advantages and disadvantages.
A year ago after my first flights I removed the SD card - as recommended in the manual.
The accessibility of the SD card is certainly not a Parrot engineering highlight, I always felt uncomfortable and stressed, mainly to re-install it.
Soon I switched and downloaded the videos through the USB cable (Type C to A).
Slower but stress-free. Over the year I have downloaded about 1TB of videos in this way.

Triggered by the discussion here I did some experiments to find out more details.
I was using a 10 minute 4k video, 7.4GB.
To transfer this after removing the card took me 31 seconds,
Not counting the time it took me to remove and re-install the card, plus my worries as I'm not experienced anymore.
The same two files of the total of 7.4GB took now 7 minutes. During this time the Anafi is turned on and takes some power. (mainly the cooling fan and all electronics) I was surprised however, to see that during this time the Anafi battery was not discharged but still a little charged through the USB connection. After downloading the files it has gone up from 41 to 43%.
Conclusion: I will continue to slowly download through the USB, I prefer to have no hassle.

I agree. Usually it takes about 5 to 8 minutes to download my files via the USB cable. This equates to about 3% of the battery. I just turn the Anafi off and wait a few minutes for it to fully charge off the USB. I haven't had my micro card out since I installed it 7 months ago.

Now, if I had some really large files, like 30 Gb, I would pull the SD card, but so far, I have not made any that big.

I just take the card out and but it into a card reader. I have no idea why anyone has a problem with the card holder in the Anafi. They have been around for ever. Simple design. Push down and it opens. Push up and it locks. Whats so hard about that??? It was meant to be simple and it is.

No, you are not wrong. However, you must turn on the Anafi for the computer to see it as an external drive. Otherwise the USB is merely charging the battery.

This is how I download all my videos and photos so I don't have to remove the micro SD card. It is slightly slower so for a long video in 4K mode it might be worth putting the card in its carrier and inserting it into the SD slot if your computer has one.
Thank you. Your answer worked perfectly for me in win 10. Win couldn't see it after it was plugged in and charging. But once I pushed the battery button, and it turned on, it popped up as a drive and works now. My average transfer speed is 21 mbs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJ123456