Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Drone Registration

pmh1nic

Reaction score
This came up on another forum so I thought I'd ask here.

All fliers will need ti pass some knowledge exam. Most are assuming a 107 will cover you for recreational flying. If you have your 107 and are flying under the cover of your 107 license do all of your drones have to be registered as commercial since it's your commercial license being used when you fly?

In the US, all drones over 0.55 lbs. up to 55 lbs. have to be registered, regardless of whether they are being used commercially or recreationally. ($5) It is the pilot who is registered under Part 107, not the drone. If all you do is recreational flying in that weight class you do not need to take any kind of exam, although doing a tutorial about 107 is highly recommended as airspace issues are really complicated.....it's not enough just to not fly within 5 miles of any airport.

When I was a flight instructor, confusion about airspace requirements was likely to be the one thing almost everybody had difficulty with. Hell, even I couldn't keep it all straight in spite of a refresher course every two years.

In the US, all drones over 0.55 lbs. up to 55 lbs. have to be registered, regardless of whether they are being used commercially or recreationally. ($5) It is the pilot who is registered under Part 107, not the drone. If all you do is recreational flying in that weight class you do not need to take any kind of exam, although doing a tutorial about 107 is highly recommended as airspace issues are really complicated.....it's not enough just to not fly within 5 miles of any airport.

When I was a flight instructor, confusion about airspace requirements was likely to be the one thing almost everybody had difficulty with. Hell, even I couldn't keep it all straight in spite of a refresher course every two years.

The rule change means even recreational flyers will have to pass a knowledge based exam. The exam should be in place by November 2019. This means EVERYONE that flies a drone will have to pass some type of knowledge exam.

Btw, this change means a 12 year old flying a drone in his backyard below the treeline would be in violation of FAA regulations if he has not taken and passed this exam.

My understanding is for recreational fliers a single registration number covers all of your drones flown for recreation but for commercial 107 pilots there is a separate registration number for each drone.

As a recreational flier you are registering yourself, not the UAV. As a Part 107 pilot you register each and every UAV. Nothing has changed other then having to put your number on the UAV.
UAV testing for recreational fliers is still a long way off. Don't freak out about the test as it will not be all that hard when it does come out. More of a common sense type of test.

Jeez, I hadn't looked in two weeks!!!!

I think I'll just go fly my drone in parts of the West where there are no people, nor airplanes, nor airports within 50 miles that have no road access either!! :mad:

As a recreational flier you are registering yourself, not the UAV. ...
Oh, right, your number is the same for any drones you have and needs to be pasted on each one.

As a retired flight instructor I'm not worried about passing the test, just how much money the gov will steal from my wallet to administer the test. If the 107 test costs $150 every two years and I have to travel 300 miles round trip I wonder what the rec test will be like. If it's online and free, as it should be, fine. I can take the 107 test online for free as a CFI, but since I haven't had a biennial flight review in 12 years I would have to find a CFI AND an airplane to get one....way more than $150! This is why I probably won't ever be a commercial operator....besides being retired from that career for 12 years!

Here in Canada out government just made new rules for JUne 1st. You need to register each UAV no matter which licence you have (Basic or Advanced) The cost is five dollars each. The exam (Basic or Advanced) is ten dollars and can be taken over the internet. If you fail you have to wait 24 hours before taking it again and pay another ten dollars. I took my basic when it first came out a few months ago. Never studied and passed with a 84 percent mark. The advance is harder and you will need to study but I see no need to have the advanced as I do not plan on doing commercial work which requires a UAV that is approved by Transport Canada for controlled airspace. So far none of my UAV's are approved.

Reactions: apixelpilot
So what are your thoughts on the original question in the OP? If you have the 107 do all of your drones have to be registered as commercial since you are flying under your commercial license or can some be registered as recreational?

From my understanding once you are Part 107 each UAV needs to be registered. You can still fly as recreational but you need to follow all the recreational rules. Not sure if there is any advantage to that now that the recreational rules have changed.

From my understanding once you are Part 107 each UAV needs to be registered. You can still fly as recreational but you need to follow all the recreational rules. Not sure if there is any advantage to that now that the recreational rules have changed.

If I'm understanding you correctly you're saying if you have your 107 each drone has to be register individually with each drone getting a unique registration number. Is that correct? If that is accurate it means the FAA views every drone owned by a 107 pilot is a commercial unit eben if you fly it for recreational purposes.

I've followed this thread and I don't think the OP question was answered, at least not directly... (maybe I'm just more confused)

Does having a 107 Cert mean any/all drones you own are considered a "for business" UAV?

If I am certified (Part 107) and I have 2 UAVs, can I have one drone registered for business and the other registered as recreational? For example, certified pilots/UAVs are not allowed to fly at night, whereas recreational users can... (if I understand the rules correctly)

I've followed this thread and I don't think the OP question was answered, at least not directly... (maybe I'm just more confused)

Does having a 107 Cert mean any/all drones you own are considered a "for business" UAV?

If I am certified (Part 107) and I have 2 UAVs, can I have one drone registered for business and the other registered as recreational? For example, certified pilots/UAVs are not allowed to fly at night, whereas recreational users can... (if I understand the rules correctly)

My thinking is no (don't have to be registered as commercial) but I've been wrong before...just ask my wife :).

Taking this a little bit further if I have an inexpensive $40 drone with no camera I think it's a stretch to say it's a commercial drone. Of course the argument could be made that when you're flying the drone you are enhancing your drone flying skills which benefits your commercial business. Again, I think that's a stretch but legal minds and lawyers are know for stretching.

It is my understanding that a 107 pilot may make a recreational flight, however, you must "declare" prior to take off, which set of rules your are operating under. You may not change that designation after the flight starts. I think you may also affix 2 registrations numbers to your craft, one for hobbyist and one for commercial. With the new hobbyist rules, it may be more of a distinction than a difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guads100k