Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dropping from the Sky thoughts

Drbgaijin

Reaction score
Website
www.gaijin-eyes.com
Yesterday I watched this, just over 1 year old, video about the Anafi falling from the skies syndrome.
What caught my attention was the idea that the problem was mostly an android one.
The Video
I am starting this thread to hear what others have for thoughts on the reasons for the falling.
Whether it be a rumour, fact, wild guess or any other thought. Please post it here so we can try and , maybe, get closer to the answer.
Regards
Douglas

I have seen iOS posts about the dropping from the sky but not as many as Android. In my opinion I think that could be due to the fact most people seem to run Android for phones or tablets more then iOS. Do I have any facts to back that up......no but I been around long enough to think this is true. Now is it a Android problem only, not at all. Is it pilot error, not at all. There is something wrong inside the Anafi that causes it to just power down and drop from the sky. Bad design? Bad quality control? Or just bad luck you got one that falls from the sky? Who knows. I am surprised Parrot customer service to this day denies there is a problem.

Hi Douglas,
In my case I had one drop at 12% battery - iphone 6S
Another case I had one that just disappeared while I was not watching, It was in close proximity - suspect that it shut off around 85% - This was on on a different iphone 6 and I never found drone - which surprised me as the last know location was just several hundred feet from me
My thoughts as to why - batteries or battery management, or just poor quality control on them
All the batteries were less than 6 months old and i took pretty good care of them - not perfect but good
I now have a battery from the same batch as above - it constantly discharges, loses about 20% per day, still say 98% capacity after full charge, its retired now
I had noticed fluctuations from charge to charge readings showing different total capacity on several of the batteries - I don't see that now on newer firmware
Parrot did replace both drones under warranty - The one that dropped at 12% capacity was on the latest FW, the lost drone was on 1.6.7
Both of these had happened within a two week time frame or so - not a fun time
So now I have 3 Anafi's as I really do like them and get quite a bit of enjoyment flying them, at least when they're not dropping
btw... i am a pretty conservative and cautious flyer

Reactions: Gundamx9x1
Number 1 problem with parrot products is and always was parrot famous updates,there were some issues with freeflight updates where ios had some problems or glitches,most of times it was android that was affected due too many different Phone brands with different platforms,like samsung edge 7 (or something like that),problems were small like not able to recognize controller,frozen minimap,distance or altitude locked in settings,small glitches but nothing that could affect drone....i dont remember any such case and i was very,very invested in solving problems when official parrot forum was up and running.....i am using android phone and ipad with both anafi and bebop 2 and i didnt see any issues with anafi last update at all ....my recommendation is do the reset more offten,be it anafi or battery

Reactions: Gundamx9x1
Mine dove into the water while using my iPhone XS Max. After a few weeks I was able to recover it. I was able to retrieve the JSON file for the flight which shows about a 46 (or 48) percent battery charge at the time of the crash. The drone was stationary at the time and I was taking still photos when I noticed the response to the shutter button getting laggy and then the screen went to static. I looked over to see the drone crash into the water power off. To me it seemed like the program on the Parrot crashed resulting in system shutdown on the Parrot and the fall. Here is what I wrote to Parrot in their enquiry - I did not receive a replacement drone - out of warranty.

I just realized an irony with significant dates in my Parrot's history. I acquired it on 9/11/18 and it crashed on April 1, 2020 (not an April Fools joke).

=========
Additional details you may find useful: I haven’t marked my batteries and am unsure if the battery on the drone was the battery just purchased in March 2020 or one of the original two batteries that came with the drone in September 2018. The flight controller app shows 38 total flights which I think is accurate. Some of those flights were just power on having no more than seconds power on time so there is very light battery use. The longest flights was approximately 14 minutes. For this flight, Before the flight, I charged the batteries to full charges. My two original batteries were not used since December 2019 and I did notice that they were fully discharged as it took several minutes being connected to the charger before the first battery level indicator light turned on. I haven’t marked my batteries so I don’t know if the battery on the drone at the time of the crash was one of the original batteries or if was the new battery.

My interest was the shoreline near the crash site. On liftoff, I turned on the video recording and went to video the shoreline. I took videos from several angles and zoom settings. After several passes, I returned the drone to home but instead of landing, I decided I should take some photos of the area and possibly stitch them together for a detailed view. . So I changed the camera mode to burst photo and returned to the area of interest. I would take a burst of photos during which the screen would ‘freeze’, wait for the screen to resume the live view, pan, take additional photos, pan, photo, pan, photo then the screen locked up for longer than usual. For some reason I sensed something was wrong, The screen was locked up longer than usual. I looked over to the drone and saw it falling at a high rate of speed into the water where the crash site is marked. I don’t recall hearing any sound and the drone was falling straight down with one end (looked like the front??) angled downward. The impact speed was so fast that it made the ‘fast impact’ noise you get when you throw a small stone high into the air before it hits the water - a thump rather than a splash. I went home, took some screenshots, initiated this incident report, and started working on getting equipment together for a search which I started today (4-5-2020). Unfortunately I can’t swim the area as the lake ice just thawed a couple weeks ago so the water is near freezing. It appeared to me that the drone just stopped mid air with no warning and fell straight down since I was only yawing and photographing so there was no forward, sideways, or vertical momentum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3201
Parrot mentioned that the app was downloaded “millions of times” if Anafi really is that successful (which I doubt) then it would explain the ‘high failure rate’; even if 1% breaks down that would be 3 every day

Mine dove into the water while using my iPhone XS Max. After a few weeks I was able to recover it. I was able to retrieve the JSON file for the flight which shows about a 46 (or 48) percent battery charge at the time of the crash. The drone was stationary at the time and I was taking still photos when I noticed the response to the shutter button getting laggy and then the screen went to static. I looked over to see the drone crash into the water power off. To me it seemed like the program on the Parrot crashed resulting in system shutdown on the Parrot and the fall. Here is what I wrote to Parrot in their enquiry - I did not receive a replacement drone - out of warranty.

I just realized an irony with significant dates in my Parrot's history. I acquired it on 9/11/18 and it crashed on April 1, 2020 (not an April Fools joke).

=========
Additional details you may find useful: I haven’t marked my batteries and am unsure if the battery on the drone was the battery just purchased in March 2020 or one of the original two batteries that came with the drone in September 2018. The flight controller app shows 38 total flights which I think is accurate. Some of those flights were just power on having no more than seconds power on time so there is very light battery use. The longest flights was approximately 14 minutes. For this flight, Before the flight, I charged the batteries to full charges. My two original batteries were not used since December 2019 and I did notice that they were fully discharged as it took several minutes being connected to the charger before the first battery level indicator light turned on. I haven’t marked my batteries so I don’t know if the battery on the drone at the time of the crash was one of the original batteries or if was the new battery.

My interest was the shoreline near the crash site. On liftoff, I turned on the video recording and went to video the shoreline. I took videos from several angles and zoom settings. After several passes, I returned the drone to home but instead of landing, I decided I should take some photos of the area and possibly stitch them together for a detailed view. . So I changed the camera mode to burst photo and returned to the area of interest. I would take a burst of photos during which the screen would ‘freeze’, wait for the screen to resume the live view, pan, take additional photos, pan, photo, pan, photo then the screen locked up for longer than usual. For some reason I sensed something was wrong, The screen was locked up longer than usual. I looked over to the drone and saw it falling at a high rate of speed into the water where the crash site is marked. I don’t recall hearing any sound and the drone was falling straight down with one end (looked like the front??) angled downward. The impact speed was so fast that it made the ‘fast impact’ noise you get when you throw a small stone high into the air before it hits the water - a thump rather than a splash. I went home, took some screenshots, initiated this incident report, and started working on getting equipment together for a search which I started today (4-5-2020). Unfortunately I can’t swim the area as the lake ice just thawed a couple weeks ago so the water is near freezing. It appeared to me that the drone just stopped mid air with no warning and fell straight down since I was only yawing and photographing so there was no forward, sideways, or vertical momentum.
Nice write up DaveN. Last year I had three incidents just as you described and one this year. The only common factor was my phone a S8. Parrot replaced all four with very little resistance. I had five Anafi's last month and decided to move on and purchased a MA2 under the referral of Ana in SEA. I recently sold three, keeping the two still under warranty and I'm using an S10+. The MA2 is impressive, but the ANAFI is a lot quieter and I really like that for some of the places I shoot.

Reactions: DaveN
To my way of thinking there are three main reasons why the Anafi, or any other drone, falls out of the sky.

1) Hardware failure e.g. propeller breaking, GPS losing satillites, motor failure, airframe failure, bad batteries, ESC failure, wires/ribbon cables coming loose etc.
2) Software failure e.g bad firmware on the Anafi, faulty FF6, inconsistent reported battery voltage etc.
3) Pilot error e.g. flying into objects, not keeping the FF6 pointed at the Anafi, taking off with no GPS lock etc.

Whilst reason 3) can be proven, if the pilot admits that they made a mistake, any crashes due to reasons 1) or 2) are much more difficult to prove. I do not know how much data is contained in the .bin file in the FDR directory on the SD card as only Parrot appear to be able to fully decode it.

I accept that nothing is perfect and that one day my Anafi may fall out of the sky and be destroyed. If/When that occurs I hope that no person or property is damaged and that I will not be too upset. I have been flying fixed wing and multi rotors for many years and accept that sometimes things happen that result in an airframe having to be binned as I have in a few cases. Whilst a kit built plane can usually be rebuilt an off-the-shelf multi rotor may not be so easy.

The old adage of "If you can't afford to lose it don't fly it" still applies.

Nice write up DaveN. Last year I had three incidents just as you described and one this year. The only common factor was my phone a S8. Parrot replaced all four with very little resistance. I had five Anafi's last month and decided to move on and purchased a MA2 under the referral of Ana in SEA. I recently sold three, keeping the two still under warranty and I'm using an S10+. The MA2 is impressive, but the ANAFI is a lot quieter and I really like that for some of the places I shoot.
I was hoping by giving such a detailed account to Parrot that they would be receptive to either an out of warranty replacement or a discount on a replacement but all I received was a tough luck, out of warranty response. I was disappointed at the time but there are more important things in life (e.g. my cat and dog). Still on the fence about getting a replacement as I do like how quiet it is and the ability to look up. I just wish I could trust it again.

To my way of thinking there are three main reasons why the Anafi, or any other drone, falls out of the sky.

1) Hardware failure e.g. propeller breaking, GPS losing satillites, motor failure, airframe failure, bad batteries, ESC failure, wires/ribbon cables coming loose etc.
2) Software failure e.g bad firmware on the Anafi, faulty FF6, inconsistent reported battery voltage etc.
3) Pilot error e.g. flying into objects, not keeping the FF6 pointed at the Anafi, taking off with no GPS lock etc.

Whilst reason 3) can be proven, if the pilot admits that they made a mistake, any crashes due to reasons 1) or 2) are much more difficult to prove. I do not know how much data is contained in the .bin file in the FDR directory on the SD card as only Parrot appear to be able to fully decode it.

I accept that nothing is perfect and that one day my Anafi may fall out of the sky and be destroyed. If/When that occurs I hope that no person or property is damaged and that I will not be too upset. I have been flying fixed wing and multi rotors for many years and accept that sometimes things happen that result in an airframe having to be binned as I have in a few cases. Whilst a kit built plane can usually be rebuilt an off-the-shelf multi rotor may not be so easy.

The old adage of "If you can't afford to lose it don't fly it" still applies.

I like this thought: "If you can't afford to lose it don't fly it ".
I have 3 anafi and coming today the fourth one, I lost the first anafi in March this year just the next day, because of the motor stopped and couldn't find it when it flew over a bridge, I don't know what has happened for I just new to anafi (although I have already flew Gopro Karma for sometimes), but I recall before took off the controller asked updating the battery firmware, I couldn't do it because I was on site without WIFI connection, may be this is the reason for the lost.
I ordered immediately the second anafi (refurbished) from Amazon, and then the third and the fourth, what I want to say is you have to try to know all about the drone flying and execute the mandatory pre-flight process to stay safe, now I am happy with the existing 3 anafi and have no much problem if I don't push the envelope, you never know what will be happened with these wireless devices nowadays, I might lost them again who knows, but it will be a long long time after, until then I will not worry much more.

Last edited:
Reactions: dashSolo
Here is a wild thought that just popped into my head.
Could a "smart watch" that normally connects to download data to my android cause some sort of interference?
I already had a drop from the sky last year, but this year I have had 2. This year I bought a smart watch in January. When I have been flying the Anafi I am wearing the smart watch and using the android it usually sends the data to. I never thought about it before. Normally I would switch the android to Flight-mode, but I sometimes forget.
Any thoughts on that theory?
(It still would not explain the drop from 2019, as I did not have the watch then.)
Regards
Douglas

EDIT: PS. Sorry, the two drop from the sky crashes happened this year after I had the smart watch.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Here is a wild thought that just popped into my head.
Could a "smart watch" that normally connects to download data to my android cause some sort of interference?
I already had a drop from the sky last year, but this year I have had 2. This year I bought a smart watch in January. When I have been flying the Anafi I am wearing the smart watch and using the android it usually sends the data to. I never thought about it before. Normally I would switch the android to Flight-mode, but I sometimes forget.
Any thoughts on that theory?
(It still would not explain the drop from 2019, as I did not have the watch then.)
Regards
Douglas

EDIT: PS. Sorry, the two drop from the sky crashes happened this year after I had the smart watch.

Very unlikely - smartwatches tend to use Bluetooth Low power, which barely registers after 15 meters.

Very unlikely - smartwatches tend to use Bluetooth Low power, which barely registers after 15 meters.
As far as I am aware, my watch is connecting via Wi-Fi.
As I am wearing the watch when I fly the Anafi (and my arms are shorter than 15 metres) that limitation might not come into play.
But, I could be wrong about the WiFi connection. (I am imagining that my watch is interfering with my android tablet's wifi and maybe FreeFlight)
Thanks for adding your thoughts though. I am not the sharpest when it comes to WiFi and Bluetooth etc.
Regards
Douglas

The smartwatch is connected to your device which has the watch app via bluetooth when away from your home network. When at home, it will use your wifi (if this is turned on).

When the WIFI interference is stronger enough to cut the connection between anafi and controller, the RTH will be activated, so it shouldn't be the only reason for the crash, I have had some RTH activation when flying in the urban area, I think the hardware of anafi can be more possible to cause the accident than the firmware.

Last edited:

even bluetooth operates on 2.4ghz and WILL cause interference to the anafi controller.
I will not make it drop out of the sky, but could limit the range by at least a few percent

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJ123456