Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

External GPS + android phone

Dino

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been wondering if anyone tried a setup like this? I've seen some people are using external GPS on Apple devices which do not have an internal one, but my problem is different.

I have a Xiaomi MiA1, and it is a pretty decent phone, but sometimes GPS is mediocre at best. I don't know if this is my phone's fault, or if all of them have these problems - but I tried to use follow-me mode once and I'm not going to trust this internal GPS again.

I was wondering if maybe the external GPS will be a better solution than a new phone, as it should not only be cheaper, but I think it should get a better signal.

Yeah, I also think it should work, but wondered if someone tried it already. ;)

There is bunch of apps that can help you improve and calibrate your phones gps,why dont you try that first...never heard of anyone using external gps with android phone

Reactions: BRC
There is bunch of apps that can help you improve and calibrate your phones gps,why dont you try that first...never heard of anyone using external gps with android phone

I had recently moved from iphone to android phone but noticed the GPS signal was terrible - and difficult to calibrate, was often off by 180'
Now keep in mind I am new to android so still learning and my device does not have a sim card
However I did download a free app called "GPS Status" which seemed to improve GPS signal and lock, and easy to calibrate
Still testing so jury is out - Follow me mode is something I am likely not to need or use though so not critical
I do like the Android phone better - brighter and slightly larger screen

Reactions: Skydreamer
I had recently moved from iphone to android phone but noticed the GPS signal was terrible - and difficult to calibrate, was often off by 180'
Now keep in mind I am new to android so still learning and my device does not have a sim card
However I did download a free app called "GPS Status" which seemed to improve GPS signal and lock, and easy to calibrate
Still testing so jury is out - Follow me mode is something I am likely not to need or use though so not critical
I do like the Android phone better - brighter and slightly larger screen
I am using same app

Hi all!

I've been wondering if anyone tried a setup like this? I've seen some people are using external GPS on Apple devices which do not have an internal one, but my problem is different.

I have a Xiaomi MiA1, and it is a pretty decent phone, but sometimes GPS is mediocre at best. I don't know if this is my phone's fault, or if all of them have these problems - but I tried to use follow-me mode once and I'm not going to trust this internal GPS again.

I was wondering if maybe the external GPS will be a better solution than a new phone, as it should not only be cheaper, but I think it should get a better signal.
Try fixing it:

I have been using GPS Status on all drones for about 4 or 5 years. I start it everytime I fly to se what the sats look like.

Highly recommend.

Reactions: BRC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut