Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ANAFI 1.7.3, ANAFI THERMAL 1.7.3, ANAFI USA 1.7.4, FREEFLIGHT 6.7.0 (IOS & ANDROID), SKYCONTROLLER3 1.7.0

21m per Sec. means round about 75km/h. Could the Anafi reached this speed?
I was believed that the speed is calculated from the GPS Data and not from the airflow sensor (which could be higher as the real speed in depends of the wind against the Anafi /Sensor)
Air flow sensor? I haven't heard that before!
Speed is determined by GPS signals. Pitot tube airflow measurement is only available on aircraft.

Air flow sensor? I haven't heard that before!
Speed is determined by GPS signals. Pitot tube airflow measurement is only available on aircraft.
Grrr... sorry: The Disco has the airflow sensore.... I mixed it up ;)

I've received the information of an update via a "1" over the copter, if I replace the battery and establish connection to the SC3 and the app.
If I tap on the copter, I received the battery update message for the 2nd battery
After that I followed the instructions to connect the battery with the Anafi on a Power supply

In a drone, speed could be given by a GPS, but it would be inaccurate (and when no GPS is received... speed would be wrong)

I think speed is given by the accelerometer and the attitude sensors that form the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit). Speed is the integration of attitude and acceleration along the time axis.

In a drone, speed could be given by a GPS, but it would be inaccurate (and when no GPS is received... speed would be wrong)

I think speed is given by the accelerometer and the attitude sensors that form the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit). Speed is the integration of attitude and acceleration along the time axis.
With smooth and constant horizontal travel, there is no acceleration and no change in height. Then how do you determine the speed? I think the main source of data is GPS.

If you accelerate, the drone, by a calculation ‘integration’ of the accelerometer sensor, knows your speed at each moment, up to the point when your speed is a constant.
When you continue your motion without acceleration and no change in heigth, then the accelerometer sensor does not see acceleration so the drone knows you speed is constant (your last known speed)
Then you decelerate (detected by the accelerometer sensor), up to a point when your drone, by integration with time, knows your speed is ‘0’.

This method is much more precise than any method with a GPS that is not generally used to measure speed. A GPS can be used to confirm speed via the Kalman filter algorithm in some cases.

when I had a GPS problem, before Parrot did exchange my Anafi, ‘0’ GPS was received... but I could still fly the drone and see its speed...

if you wish, I can send you links to litterature on the subject...

If you accelerate, the drone, by a calculation ‘integration’ of the accelerometer sensor, knows your speed at each moment, up to the point when your speed is a constant.
When you continue your motion without acceleration and no change in heigth, then the accelerometer sensor does not see acceleration so the drone knows you speed is constant (your last known speed)
Then you decelerate (detected by the accelerometer sensor), up to a point when your drone, by integration with time, knows your speed is ‘0’.

This method is much more precise than any method with a GPS that is not generally used to measure speed. A GPS can be used to confirm speed via the Kalman filter algorithm in some cases.

when I had a GPS problem, before Parrot did exchange my Anafi, ‘0’ GPS was received... but I could still fly the drone and see its speed...

if you wish, I can send you links to litterature on the subject...
I accept the explanation, it makes sense so. Thanks.

Sounds to me like you snapped a prop. The wobble before it flew away is a sure sign of a broken prop. It becomes hard to handle and flies uncontrollably until it crashes.

I concur - you can see from the graph, it ramped up the motor speeds to maintain altitude while falling!

I am biting the bullet and updating my remaining Anafi with 1.6.8. My iPad already auto updated to 6.6.9 for Free Flight. For me this firmware update is a little too late for my poor Anafi Thermal(Still in the ICU in a coma with all kinds of broken bones. LOL).

I updated to 6.6.9 & 1.6.8 ( havent updated since 1.6.3 issues ..) , but at first both batteries would start the anafi, but NOTstart the anafi WiFi ( as a test if Anafi battery has updated correctly) , even with both batteries on anafi & in wallcharger ( as mentioned) .
Got both times the "sort of errorscreen" with " wifi not connected > call support for further assistance :( " ( or other choice" how to connect the anafi to wifi" #duh ;) )

But luckily, by connecting the battery to the controller, it fixed both batteries.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I concur - you can see from the graph, it ramped up the motor speeds to maintain altitude while falling!
About this one, I have the questions : What does Speed means?
Speed of the motor? Or real Speed over ground?
Its make no sense for me in this moment

Where do you see this? There is no engine speed on the graph (it was not). There is only speed, which can change even if there is no ascent or descent. Then this is horizontal speed.

About this one, I have the questions : What does Speed means?
Speed of the motor? Or real Speed over ground?
Its make no sense for me in this moment

‘Speed’ alone does not make sense.

‘Ground speed’ is the velocity of the drone projected in the ‘ground plane’ (XY)
‘Vertical speed’ is the velocity of the drone projected in the plane perpendicular to the ground plane (Z)
‘Air Speed’ is the velocity of the drone (X,Y,Z axis), compared to the velocity of the surounding air flow (this difference or comparison helps understand why it flies or stalls)
‘Motor Speed’ in RPM transmits this revolution to the props that vacuum aspirate the air above and project it under the drone to provide energy, lift and make the thing fly...

... and when you go to the CERN and discuss there with engineers that organize free visits For you and your children on saturdays... they say ‘speed does not exist, there is just Mass and Energy’
At the LARC (the big circular particular collider), they speed up particles clockwise at 98% of the light ‘speed’ and other particle the other way counter clockwise at 98% of the light ‘speed’, and when they collide ... the measurements prove they don’t meet at 98+98 % of the light speed 196%... no... just 99% of the light speed !

... I like this forum (but we may digress a little from the original question ;o)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tornado
‘Speed’ alone does not make sense.

‘Ground speed’ is the velocity of the drone projected in the ‘ground plane’ (XY)
‘Vertical speed’ is the velocity of the drone projected in the plane perpendicular to the ground plane (Z)
‘Air Speed’ is the velocity of the drone (X,Y,Z axis), compared to the velocity of the surounding air flow (this difference or comparison helps understand why it flies or stalls)
‘Motor Speed’ in RPM transmits this revolution to the props that vacuum aspirate the air above and project it under the drone to provide energy, lift and make the thing fly...

... and when you go to the CERN and discuss there with engineers that organize free visits For you and your children on saturdays... they say ‘speed does not exist, there is just Mass and Energy’
At the LARC (the big circular particular collider), they speed up particles clockwise at 98% of the light ‘speed’ and other particle the other way counter clockwise at 98% of the light ‘speed’, and when they collide ... the measurements prove they don’t meet at 98+98 % of the light speed 196%... no... just 99% of the light speed !

... I like this forum (but we may digress a little from the original question ;o)
I've not yet managed to get my Anafi anywhere near the speed of light!! -:)

Yes, he seems to have accelerated and crossed his own speed limit, which he would not be able to do on his own.

When i crashed my drone, it started to act on its own and on the fight data it reached speed that suposedly wouldnt reach, i wasnt touching the controlle and the drone was in sight around 15/25m.

My case was studied by parrot and they validated my warranty claims.

I got a new one ;)

So contact parrot via telephone, its the best way, im fromPortugal and i contacted Parrot uk.

When you updated the battery, did you have it plugged into a mains charger ?

Do you get any flashing lights on the battery?

What happens if you plug it into mains charger?

also, having done a search:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ritchh