Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Firmware update dilemma solved (sort of)

jmbsmt63

Reaction score
OK...Update on the terrible range experienced since the latest firmware update. After trying everything I could I had the time to skip out of work for a bit this afternoon and got to a park in the area that is another test area for me...Bottom line...It was great away from the neighborhood...I can only assume that there is some sort of improvement/booster or some new tower in my neighborhood that just wrecks the Anafi's transmissions that became active between the 17th (previous flight before the firmware) and the 19th ( first flight after the firmware) Was something changed in the firmware that makes it more susceptible or did they activate some new tower near me? Whatever it is, it cut the range to less than half...The next time I walk the dog I will have a WIFI monitor active on my phone to see if any "spikes" are apparent.

OK...Update on the terrible range experienced since the latest firmware update. After trying everything I could I had the time to skip out of work for a bit this afternoon and got to a park in the area that is another test area for me...Bottom line...It was great away from the neighborhood...I can only assume that there is some sort of improvement/booster or some new tower in my neighborhood that just wrecks the Anafi's transmissions that became active between the 17th (previous flight before the firmware) and the 19th ( first flight after the firmware) Was something changed in the firmware that makes it more susceptible or did they activate some new tower near me? Whatever it is, it cut the range to less than half...The next time I walk the dog I will have a WIFI monitor active on my phone to see if any "spikes" are apparent.

Are you sure that the culprit is not Bluetooth? I thought my Anafi had developed a fault after the range was drastically cut. I thought a crash had disconnected one of the antennas as the range was now down to about as far as I could throw un uncooperative cat. The actual cause was me starting to connect my phone to my car via Bluetooth. I previously only switched Bluetooth on for file transfers and I never left it on. Now I had a use for Bluetooth being on a lot of the time I forgot about it being on and so I encountered "a new fault with the Anafi". If this had happened on the first flight after an update then I would have probably blamed the update.

A Bluetooth device in your phone, right next to the receiver in your controller, or in a watch or other device you carry could be swamping the receiver such that the controller doesn't know that its signals are being received and implemented.

Reactions: jmbsmt63
Are you sure that the culprit is not Bluetooth? I thought my Anafi had developed a fault after the range was drastically cut. I thought a crash had disconnected one of the antennas as the range was now down to about as far as I could throw un uncooperative cat. The actual cause was me starting to connect my phone to my car via Bluetooth. I previously only switched Bluetooth on for file transfers and I never left it on. Now I had a use for Bluetooth being on a lot of the time I forgot about it being on and so I encountered "a new fault with the Anafi". If this had happened on the first flight after an update then I would have probably blamed the update.

A Bluetooth device in your phone, right next to the receiver in your controller, or in a watch or other device you carry could be swamping the receiver such that the controller doesn't know that its signals are being received and implemented.
I did check the Bluetooth and (I did try in or out of Airplane mode) that is a viable thought.
It is amazing how much an active Bluetooth connection will affect it.
As you also did, I stumbled across that accidentally when I had my Spark. I was charging my Osmo Mini (portable gimbal) about 20 feet from where I was flying that day and I didn't realize at the time that it has an active Bluetooth connection to the phone when charging ...not ON just charging!!! Anyway, I had terrible lag, etc flying the Spark and then realized that that Bluetooth connection was active! Turned it off and all was good

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Turbeville