Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Flight 800 Memorial at Smith's Point Park

pmh1nic

Reaction score
One of our favorite places to camp is Smith's Point Park in Suffolk County, NY. I have seen the Flight 800 Memorial dozens of times but never realized what a work of art it is until I got the chance to video it with the Anafi. It's a beautiful structure commemorating a tragic event. The flags surrounding the memorial represent the countries from which the 230 souls on board were from. They died when the vapors from a fuel tank were ignited by wiring running through the tank. The resulting explosion cause the forward cockpit and passenger compartment to separate and the plane broke up in flight. I remember it very well because I was at home recovering from coronary bypass surgery.

Flight 800 Memorial at Smith's Point Park

Although that did not happen while I was still living in LI, I remember it quite well as it happened while I was still a commercial pilot and flight instructor and was tuned in to most major air disasters.

Very nice shots.

Reactions: pmh1nic
Although that did not happen while I was still living in LI, I remember it quite well as it happened while I was still a commercial pilot and flight instructor and was tuned in to most major air disasters.

Very nice shots.

Kudos for escaping the high taxes, traffic congestion and other nonsense going on in NYS.

The recovery of the bodies and the wreckage was a monumental effort given the huge size of the debris field and the fact it was in the ocean. I saw video of the reconstruction of the airplane and it was very complete, a real testament to the professionalism of the FAA and NTSB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut