Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Flight plan height slider

robinh

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere or I am just being dumb, but why does the height slider on the flight plan go to 3688 m? I'm sure it used to be a sensible figure.

Screenshot_20200421-163233_FreeFlight 6.jpg

I am just guessing:
That might be, in theory, the max height the bird could get, before it has to "autoland"?
About ~15 minutes up, with max 4m/s, and in autoland modus even quicker down?
It is a weak guess, since I have not yet seen 3+m/s for descend speed.

It's an obvious error from Parrot, setting it to a realistic value would also offer more precision to this slider...
I tried to set it to 2000 meters in FP, but that's already more than 20 minutes : 8.3 minutes up + 16, 6 down (2000 m / 4 m/s = 500 seconds = 8.33 minutes, descent is supposed to be 2 x slower).
Anyway, with the latest updates, in Europe, the Anafi stopped at 1200 meters, flight plan aborted, autolanding was 100 meters off, and it didn't respond to my joystick movements when landing with a "critical battery level" warning, despite the fact that the battery vas over 50% on the ground after landing... I tried another flight just after that, manual mode this time, it went fine, except that the latest flight is not in the My Parrot > Flight Data (?). Another oddity is that the descending speed is just as fast as the asension, mostly just over 4 m/s during auto landing (both looking at the screen and on the flight data graphic) which is twice as fast as what the settings/manual flight...
Not sure why the Anafi stops over 1200 meters, maybe they don't want the batteries to get to hot and they have set a limit, or it's just a coincidence that the battery heat was too high at this elevation, triggering the auto landing ?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: robinh
[...] Another oddity is that the descending speed is just as fast as the asension, mostly just over 4 m/s during auto landing (both looking at the screen and on the flight data graphic) which is twice as fast as what the settings/manual flight...
[...]

You see, that was my idea behind the "theoretical max height" on an (also theory) new and freshly fully PD-charged battery:
Ascending with max speed till auto low battery landing, descending also with that speed.
Up and down about the same time, 50% batt up, 50% batt down.

I'd say, if the bird really hits a max height at 1200m over HP, this 3688m is just a auto calculated thing. Has anyone ever checked this setting "live" with a 50% battery, only?
Perhaps it is part of the battery managment?

Oh, aside that I dont think that heat is really a problem, in 1200m. Or 1200m over any altitude, the HP is in

You see, that was my idea behind the "theoretical max height" on an (also theory) new and freshly fully PD-charged battery:
Ascending with max speed till auto low battery landing, descending also with that speed.
Up and down about the same time, 50% batt up, 50% batt down.

I'd say, if the bird really hits a max height at 1200m over HP, this 3688m is just a auto calculated thing. Has anyone ever checked this setting "live" with a 50% battery, only?
Perhaps it is part of the battery managment?

I get your point, it's clearly a possibility, but it would be very optimistic : ascending maximum speed was around 5 m/s, slightly less downwards - notice these values in Flight Plan's automatic flight mode are well over those you can select in FF's settings for manual flight. I can set a waypoint's elevation to 4000 meters high right now in my app, which means at least 13,3 minutes at 5 m/s, that's already more than half the 25 minutes maximum flight time of the Anafi...

Battery wise, from this practical experience, the Anafi flew from the ground to 1200 meters and back to the ground with 50% battery left, so in theory it should be able to climb to 2000 meters and come back down "easily" - considering its battery capacity only, but weather conditions were ideal, less than 20 km/h wind, no icing at 2000 meters (or as you said, climb to 4000, but then batteries would be empty).

In any case, the onboard system decided to stop the climb and RTH (together with a weird "No Take Off" message on top of the "RTH in 3... 2..."), that's why I said that they should not set the slider to this height, it should be the same maximum elevation that the Anafi's onboard system/firmware is calculating !

Oh, aside that I dont think that heat is really a problem, in 1200m. Or 1200m over any altitude, the HP is in

True that I didn't notice any particular heat whent I had it in hand for a few minutes just after landing, a, but you need to keep in mind that it had more than 5 minutes to cool down while descending, and that temperature was less than 10°C up there, so who knows...

that's why I said that they should not set the slider to this height, it should be the same maximum elevation that the Anafi's onboard system/firmware is calculating !
I agree with that.
Which let me even more think, that this is a autogenerated thing.
Or, thinking about the military/officialls drone projects, based on "Anafi designed" parrot drones, it may say something to what specs could be expected in one of these?

I don't even know, if that was limited to 150m in the "old days", before "unleashing motors"
And even the 1200m would be a limit, that did not get communicated.

I personally think, 1.2 km up is high enough! ;-)
If that would get time for a sphere and or a 360 video or such, before emergency landing, that would be good enough

... ascending maximum speed was around 5 m/s, slightly less downwards

So, I understand this as
Flightplan, just ascending, it goes to 5m /s?
Interesting news, since I still wanna try to find out the ratio for max forward speed with max ascending speed (and the same for coming back).
If 5m/s without forward moving would be possible, it might be a good idea, to fill some elevator wp's in a flightplan?
To fly forward, later, with 12+m/s?

What was your speed setting in the flightplan, please?

I don't even know, if that was limited to 150m in the "old days", before "unleashing motors"
And even the 1200m would be a limit, that did not get communicated.

I personally think, 1.2 km up is high enough! ;-)
If that would get time for a sphere and or a 360 video or such, before emergency landing, that would be good enough

I should have mentioned that my flight was 100% legal, in my country EU's drone rules and 120 meters elevation limit are not applied yet ;-)

If 5m/s without forward moving would be possible, it might be a good idea, to fill some elevator wp's in a flightplan?
To fly forward, later, with 12+m/s?

Maybe you could gain some air speed by flying vertically then horizontally at max speed, but to go from one point to the other in direct, diagonal line could be just as quick... and certainly less wear for the material, motors, battery, etc.

So, I understand this as
Flightplan, just ascending, it goes to 5m /s?
What was your speed setting in the flightplan, please?

That's the scary part... in Flight Plan the speed was set to... 5 m/s. Should we try to set it to 11 m/s on vertical paths ? I'm sure someone already tried that :devilish: ...

[...]
Maybe you could gain some air speed by flying vertically then horizontally at max speed, but to go from one point to the other in direct, diagonal line could be just as quick... and certainly less wear for the material, motors, battery, etc.
I just think about flightplans "uphill"
Since I can't set both speed, but just one , I have no real control about the altitude change on distance flown.
Lets say, I would have /want to climb 45 degree, 500m high, 500 distance.
5/5 m/s, or 4/4 would cover that. But in case it is 8m/s forward, but just 2-3m/s uppwards, ....!
So finding out the ratio that is possible, plus a first setup for wp1 to wp2 with max speed elevating till I am in range for the flightplan limits with max speeds, ....
That's the scary part... in Flight Plan the speed was set to... 5 m/s. Should we try to set it to 11 m/s on vertical paths ? I'm sure someone already tried that :devilish: ...

I have kind of the idea, you are trying that soon.
:cool:
In case that: Have a screenrecorder running, to compare meter per 10% batt.
And, perhaps, do that with 5m/s again.
Just in case it really can do a 6 or 7 or x m/s ascend!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar