Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Flying in Portugal - Lisbon?

AnafiPilot1

Reaction score
So I will be visitng Lisbon shortly for a few days.

Wondering if any portuguese residents have any problems flying the Anafi, and where would be good spots to do so?

Was also thinking of going out to Sintra park area as well for a day trip!

Thanks!

It does not look good for you if this site Drone rules and laws in Portugal - current information and experiences is correct I.e.

Specific regulations: If you want to make aerial photographs (photo or video) in Portugal, you need special permission from the Autoridade Aeronáutica Nacional (AAN), for which you have to apply on-site. It is irrelevant for which purpose the recordings are made. A contact can be made in advance at [email protected].

Regulations for commercial pilots: In Portugal apply the same rules for hobby pilots and commercial pilots.

Well I jumped all the hoops and got all the required permissions.

No hassles at all, but it was nice having the required permissions, especially in Lisbon itself as it was seriously crowded with tourists!

I am glad that it all went well. Do you have a "Dummies Guide", including pitfalls, in case anybody else wants to fly legaly in Portugal?

Yes I fully documented the whole process on my personal blog - every single step!!

Very simple process and good & bad at the same time.

I won't link to it but a google search for parrot anafi flying in sintra - I think I am the first result.

Reactions: Liger 1956
I have just read your, very detailed, blog. It is very informative and getting approval obviously needs some careful planning of areas to fly and also sufficient time before the holiday. The Portugese appear to have the system well sorted. I womder how many employees are assessing requests as it must be very time consuming for them.

I did not mention it in my blog post - but I added a few more areas around Belem Tower in Lisbon, and these were submitted around 4 days before my visit and were approved within minutes.

But yes I think you need to start the process around 3-4 weeks before your visit and plan where you want to fly and submit many smaller areas vs. fewer larger areas.

The Portuguese have got the system well sorted as you said, considering it cost me no money - and they even handled all the necessary referrals and permissions with the Portuguese Air Force, so I could fly within the Sintra Military airspace.

I don't think it is the number of employees I think they just have the systems in place for them to handle the permissions quickly and efficiently.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut