Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

FreeFlight 6 Flight Planning

phillmorgan28

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm brand new to my new Anafi and I'm looking to get started with the Flight Planning feature.

I've started planning a flight however I'm getting confused by the altitudes. As a private pilot I'm using to planning my flights AMSL so I always know how high the terrain is, and set my altitudes accordingly.

Freeflight seems to do things very different, so my question is:

Are the altitude numbers feet/meters from ground level OR are the numbers feet/meters above the initial takeoff altitude? The two are very different concepts so it would be great to get some clarity!

Thanks in advance.

Phill

Rocky the FS

Reaction score
Altitude readout is from ground level at the initial take-off site. I did some surveying of a creek two years ago that gradually climbed into the surrounding hills. I needed to keep the drone at about 150 feet above the creek, which gained 350 feet in a mile and a half. The only way to do this accurately was to use Google Earth to find the ASL altitude of each waypoint, then subtract the take-off ASL altitude from that. That gave me the altitude of ground level compared to the initial point. Then I added 150 feet to that and used it for each waypoint altitude, so I got a series of waypoint altitudes that looked something like this: 150, 190, 240, 290, etc. These altitudes were set in the Flight Plan as each waypoint was created.

The Anafi held approximately 150 feet above the creek the whole way up into the hills. I had set the RTH altitude as the last waypoint altitude so it stayed well above the hills on either side as it came back in a straight line, cutting the corners. Voila!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mposco