Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gatwick flights suspended after reports of drones over runway

This is definitely going to have repercussions for drone enthusiasts.

So frustrating that a couple of dickheads can cause so much grief for millions of responsible drone pilots.

Whilst I agree that the publicity is bad news for all R/C model flyers I will wait for the full facts to emerge before castigating anyone. We do not know how many people or drones were involved, whether they were enthusiasts, lone wolves or their actual motives.

I’m more concerned about the resulting additional restrictions and regulations that are going to make it even more difficult for us to enjoy this fascinating hobby.

Reactions: Skydreamer
From the BBC news site:-

A man has been charged with flying a drone near Heathrow Airport on 24 December.

George Rusu is accused of using a drone on a field near the runway just days after a scare at Gatwick grounded more than 1,000 flights.

He has been charged with flying a "small unmanned aircraft without permission of air traffic control".

Mr Rusu, 38, from Hillingdon, will appear at Uxbridge Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

The alleged incident happened just three days after Gatwick Airport fully reopened on December 21, following three days of chaos affecting about 140,000 passengers.

It will be interesting to see what he is charged with, whether he is found guilty and if so what the punishment will be.

From "Taking Flight: The Future of Drones in the UK Government Response"

Pargraph 1.12
In the context of the consultation, the Government laid out that the word 'drone' is another term for unmanned aircraft. The ANO 2016 defines "small unmanned aircraft", also referred to as "SUA", as "any unmanned aircraft, other than a balloon or a kite, having a mass of not more than 20kg without its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight." This response uses the terms small drone and SUA interchangeably

Don't shoot the messenger!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood