Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hello from Nova Scotia

tourmax

Reaction score
I'm retired Search and Rescue, used to fly Helo's in the RCAF:

14-wing-cormorant-sar.jpg

That's just a pic I grabbed off the internet.

I'm a volunteer in the local ground search team, mostly just driving my Argo 8x8 on trail searches as 29 years in primary SAR has beaten my body up pretty good.

Some time ago I realized it would be great if I had a drone to follow along and look down on the Argo, giving the passenger operating the drone the ability to look down on either sides of the trail and see further out into the treed areas.

So I started looking at drones. Big time sticker shock!

I looked at the DJI stuff, but soooo pricey for anything newer like the Mavic pro. Even refurbished/used DJI stuff seems pretty pricey. Looking at other brands revealed some closer to my price range, but they all seemed more like toys than something like I would need for my purposes.

I walked into a local store the other day and they were clearing out their drone stock as Canada recently required licensing and registration for anything over 250 grams. They had a Bebop 2 package on clearance at 500 Cdn. Extra batteries, straps, Skycontroller 1 (or balck, can't remember which it has), etc.

Well, it's kind of a beginner drone. But seems to review half decently and has the features I'd be looking for in a basic "follow me" drone. Seems there's quite a few modifications for it as well.

The gov't licensing isn't a big deal, I'll just get the basic one, which is only an online test. I need to do it anyways as it appears RC model airfcraft fall under the new rules and I also fly battery and nitro Heli's.

So, the store is holding it for me and the wife is going to grab it on the way home.

Should work out nicely as my first drone and a basic flying camera platform.

:)

Welcome to the Forum. I think you will enjoy your membership. There are many other members happy to provide assistance for any issues you may have, and those that may need information you bring. A lot of good information is already stored in existing threads.

Couple easy things:
1.) The search Icon is your friend. It's the magnifying glass near the upper right of the screen when you scroll all the way up. It can find many answers you will never find by yourself.
2.) Be aware that you won't always get a quick response. There are times when many other members are on line, and sometimes only a few. A response may not show up until the right person sees it.
3.) Be aware the forum is Global. If you are exchanging with a member on the other side of the world, response can get delayed and out of sequence due to a difference in local time.
4.) Although the Forum is global, the language is English. It is customary to translate other languages to English. Many members also include the original language post to help alleviate translation errors.
5.) Review the forum rules (on the bottom right). There are not too many, but it is important they are followed to keep the Forum a useful and happy place for everyone.

Hey, welcome from Stillwater Lake outside of Halifax, though lately I do most flights out of Shelburne down on the south shore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut