Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Help please. Smartphone won't connect to controller

PCUK

Reaction score
As a new UK based owner I've come to a stop before even starting. The controller won't connect to the Smartphone. It is a fairly recent Motorola E5 Play. I can control the drone from the phone and after dropping the phone wi-fi also control the drone from the controller. I can't get the controller to talk to the phone and display video on the phone at the same time. Tried various different cables but all to no avail. Any help at this early stage would be most appreciated. Cheers, PCUK

Is your phone being charged by the controller when you connect them together ? If so, then go to Usb connection options in your phones settings and select 'transfer files' or similar. You should then get a message suggesting that FF6 should open as default when this usb device ( the controller) is connected.

If your phone is not being charged when connected then maybe you have an iffy controller usb port.

hth

Do you use a cable between the phone and controler that has also datatransfer ?
There are cheap cables that can only charge.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas. No charge from the controller but I have two controllers and neither connect. The idea of the wrong cable sounds promising. I've now ordered a charge and data cable so will let you know if it does the job. Thanks again. PCUK
p.s. Lost my £30 Chinese Mavic clone on my first real flight. Just got too over-confident. Won't be so careless when the Anafi takes to the air.

Last edited:
Are you definitely using the USB type A port on the controller? The smaller type c port is only for charging the controller and can't be used to connect to phone/tablet device.

Reactions: tmgrood
Thanks for that. I know only too well how easy it is to overlook the obvious, but in this case I was extra careful in checking which port was which.

Thanks for that. I know only too well how easy it is to overlook the obvious, but in this case I was extra careful in checking which port was which.
Was worth a shot, ;)

You say you have two controllers and your phone won't work with either of them? Sounds like something funky with the phone then (assuming you've tried the cable that comes with the drone as that should def work).

Do you have another device you can try (tablet or another phone)? A quick search indicates that is a very budget phone that the site I went on indicated it runs android Oreo go edition rather than regular android Oreo - no idea if that's significant.

Now there's a thing. I bought the drone secondhand and it only came with the charge cable. Hmmmmmm!
Just checked the phone and it says Android 8.1.0 which seems to be standard Oreo so maybe I have an upgrade. But as you say, may be nothing to do with anything.
Just checked the manual and it says connect with the device's USB cable. I'll have to wait until my new cable comes before I can go any further.

Last edited:
Now there's a thing. I bought the drone secondhand and it only came with the charge cable. Hmmmmmm!
That's the cable I mean - though it can only also be used for connecting to the phone if it has a USB c port - which by the budget nature of your phone may not be the case.

I've never had a phone with a c port. That may be because they were all cheapies. But until now I've only used the phone as a phone! Do you have a recommendation for a cheap high quality phone (oxymoron?) to use for droning. Anything but an Iphone by the way!

Personally I use either my phone, Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) or my tablet, Huawei M5. Both have USB c ports and neither are top end devices, probably classed more as mid priced.

There's also a sub forum on here where people have listed devices they've had work OK. Might be worth a look.

Does the FreeFlight 6 app launch automatically after connecting the controller to the phone? I had a situation with my NVIDIA shield where I would have to change the USB mode from the developer options in the settings for the app to launch.

Thanks MrW for the phone suggestions, I'll have a look.
Zandoli, No it doesn't. What do you think I would have to set the USB mode to? Thanks, PCUK

Enable developer options(tap 'Build number' 5 times), found under the 'About Phone' setting.
Switching to any of the USB options would trigger the app for the NVIDIA Shield. You can also try switching USB debugging on or off, that also launched the app for the Shield.

Well worth a try. No difference sadly. I'm pretty sure now it is either the cable or the crappy phone.

Received the new data? cable and no difference. I suppose I'll have to try another phone next. All very annoying!

Where abouts in the UK are you? If you live close to another member then they may be willing to try to help you by using their phone and cable.

Does the phone show it is charging when connected to the SC3 controller? If not it means the USB 5v is missing - possibly faulty USB on the phone?

Without the USB 5v the phone will not read anything from the USB port, therefore not see the SC3 controller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem