Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

High energy power lines - A WARNING

Frelanz

Reaction score
Recently flew next to some high energy transmission line.... (you know the ones you can hear crackle) It almost touched but didn't and was able to direct it away.... I THOUGHT I WAS SAFE... but... after close proximity for no more than 5 seconds it dropped out of the sky into a huge blackberry briar patch... so don't do it dont even get near it!!

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
Bummer, yeah I took an older crappy drone out for a little recon mission but couldn't find it. The area it crashed is really difficult to get into to do an actual sweep of the area so, that makes drone #3!.... $#!@ i have way too much parrott equipment and extra parts to really fly much else... not that I don't LOVE my bebop (especially like the ability to fly it where ever I want UNLIKE DJI!) living near a metro area that has an international airport SUCKS...

Reactions: 70Falcon
I just rebuilt one of my Bebop 2's that I crashed a few months ago. Motherboard went bad because it crashed in snow and got wet. Found a replacement on Ebay for $50.
I still like the drone, capable for being an older model.

Power lines and high voltage transmission lines create magnetic fields
They could affect electronics if they come close to contact.
A drone reset perhaps? Or mini EMP effect?

Myth. In the US this wouldn't happen. Don't know about other countries. I talked to an electrician who has worked on HV lines, and says that that this is not how it works.
It is safe to fly near them.

Myth. In the US this wouldn't happen. Don't know about other countries. I talked to an electrician who has worked on HV lines, and says that that this is not how it works.
It is safe to fly near them.
Sorry but your friend is not correct.

you can fly close , and that is no problem. However, in the case of the OP , who thought that he had hit the lines, an invisible magnetic field affects the electronics of the drones.
The fact that the drone fell a few seconds later indicated that interference had been experienced
—-
quote:

What are some of the Risks associated with using drones for power-line inspections?​

When you fly your drone near high KV power-lines, an invisible interference is exerted on your drone. This makes flying extremely difficult. A layman can compare this interference to a Wi-Fi network. Greater the distance between your drone and the power-lines, lesser the interference.

Remember that you cannot use a consumer drone without ferro-magnetic protection for power-line inspections. Flying your drone near a high voltage power-line will simply fry up your flight controller!

Ferro magnetic resistance measures how much resistance a drone is capable of handling. The Phantom 4 Pro, for instance is known to have greater ferro-magnetic resistance than an Inspire 1 and Inspire 2.

You are likely to face less interference and problems if you are flying above or beside the power-lines. However, if you are flying in-between power-lines, flight interference will see a huge spike. It is advisable to maintain a distance of 100 feet from a power-line at all times.”

moral of the story, avoid flying really close to power lines.

Reactions: 70Falcon
Wow glad this thread garnered such an amazing debate... I've been flying over the "last known connection" area with a crappy JJRC drone with a 4k 360 degree camera scouring the vegetation (since I cannot physically get to the location. At least not going to unless I KNOW its down there) I'm wondering if it blacked out and caused a fly-away even? I don't know... it just went black.... it was line of sight but I wasn't looking at it obviously (watching screen) I still have my hopes up as have had no rain! Gonna keep making passes and reviewing footage! I'll keep all posted!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood