Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I shot the video, I viewed it, I uploaded to YouTube, the I went to edit the footage...fail, EPIC fail

mm-exp

Reaction score
The codec is unrecognized by Adobe CS, won't load into Premiere or Media Encoder, 2020 versions. I've been a video pro for 30 years, and I'm guessing this is another case of assuming it would work, and realizing there's a good reason Parrot doesn't talk about it's codec specs. I'm testing the footage now with the pros on the Mac side of our shop, and will share the results. I'm guessing Win10 Adobe CS users may have to get the footage on a Mac in order to convert it to something usable. I'll report the results. In the meantime let us savor the irony; I can shoot the footage, but I can't use it, so was any footage actually shot? And the French discovered existentialism! tsk. tsk!

Funny I have no problem using Adobe Premiere CC 2019 with any of my videos from the Anafi. Belonging to a few video\photography groups I do see others complaining about bugs\glitches in Premiere 2020 with any kind of video so maybe you are experiencing this on your WIn 10 system.

Solution Found.
No, actually the Adobe software has the codecs, not the OS, however, as I suspected, this footage ingests flawlessly into the Mac, so I went out and tested some free video converters which normally are very disappointing, and found success with ANY VIDEO CONVERTER. It has a terrific bit rate feature that allows you to match the source video. I was able to convert it and open in Premiere 2020, without any quality loss. Thank you, everyone for your input.
Nor do I been using Windows version of Premiere for many years
Hi Ironsky, do you mean footage from the anafi or the parrot bebop2? thx.

There is something odd about the codec used in Bebop 2. I am using Windows 10 professional and if you look at the file explorer screen shot, the video files only show as a generic video icon. I can click on them and they play fine in Media Player. I went to import one into Virb Edit to add the flight data and it would not work. For video editing I use Corel Videostudio. I took one of the clips and imported it, then exported it back as a Mp4 with doing no editing and that fixed the problem. The converted clip is "Test flight" and you can see it shows a frame of the video. This exported video imported just fine into Garming Virb edit and I added my flight data.

I am going to look at that any video converter. Hopefully I can use that tool to take the video clips from the Bebop 2 and just re-export them as MP4 in a batch process.

Mike

Attachments

• Screen shot 1.jpg
    Screen shot 1.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen shot 2.jpg
    Screen shot 2.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 5
I second that notion of Codec tomfoolery.

I wanted to make those rad videos which overlay the HUD data. I tried the Garmin tool which seems to be heavily used by the Parrot operator community, but it would NOT take. Any time I imported the video using that Garmin app on both of my Win10 computers, the video just wasn't there, just a blank screen. The Garmin guys had never heard of the issue, and couldn't offer an explanation.

But I've never had an issue pushing them up to me YouTube account. I'm glad that did work based on the work around I ended up having to use to get that HUD data overly.

I needed to upload the video to YouTube, and then using one of the websites that allow you to download any YouTube content, download the same video onto my computer. The Garmin app didn't have any issues with that .mp4, so I'm not sure what the hang up with the organic video files straight from the drone,

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Putting a Data Over Lay on a video is very easy. Just follow the instructions on the Flightdata manager page. It takes some practice to sync up the video to the data but I am sure you can figure it out.

There is something a bit odd about the videos the Bebop 2 takes. Probably something to do with the MP4 codecs it uses to record. After downloading the photos and videos from a flight. Looking at the explorer screen, the videos do not show a thumbnail of the video. They do play fine in Windows Media Player.
(Oh I am using Windows 10 professional, 64bit)

I have tried to use the Garmin program to import the flight data into the video and the Garmin software imports the video but does not show anything, so syncing the data to the video is impossible.

On a hunch one day, I took one the Bebop2 videos and imported it into my video editing software and simply turned around and rendered it back to a MP4. See the fourth row down on my screenshot, the Bebop2 videos now show as a thumbnail instead of a generic icon. These videos imported perfectly into the garmin software and I was able to add the flight data overlay with no issue.

This would tell me there is something different about the MP4 codec the Bebop2 uses to encode the video but I have not yet nailed it down. I have also not flown for awhile so I have not looked into it yet.

I have not had any issues uploading to Youtube, but the videos are processed through my editing software first (adding titles, trimming, etc ...) so the video is already changed into a pure MP4.

I have seen videos play odd when directly uploaded to Facebook (raw Bebop2 video)

Mike

Attachments

• Drone screen.jpg
    Drone screen.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: BigNutz
On a hunch one day, I took one the Bebop2 videos and imported it into my video editing software and simply turned around and rendered it back to a MP4. See the fourth row down on my screenshot, the Bebop2 videos now show as a thumbnail instead of a generic icon. These videos imported perfectly into the garmin software and I was able to add the flight data overlay with no issue.

Thanks Mike, some folks don't actually believe that this is an issue. What are you using for editing software?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

My editing software is Corel Videostudio. Ive been using this package all the way back when it used to be produced by Ulead. Corel bought them out. Videostudio has no problems importing the video and I don't see any glitches. I originally recorded 30 frames per second and the issue is still there. To save memory, I now record in 23 frames per second. Videostudio can adjust and change the framerate to 30 on exporting.

I found a free tool online to batch convert videos called "Any video converter" so I can take a batch of videos and convert them in one shot. It takes a bit to get the settings right so you don't lose quality.

Here is a video I made with the software, the drone is my brothers but also a Bebop 2. This convinced me to buy my own drone.

Snow Shoe Rails To Trails

400 foot long beaver dam

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJ123456