Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is there a simple answer to this simple battery question?

Drbgaijin

Reaction score
Website
www.gaijin-eyes.com
My thread Now my turn to drop from the sky! At last. is waiting until I get an answer from Parrot as to whether they will do anything about my Anafi, which dropped from the skies.
I decided to go ahead and order a new Anafi, while waiting.
It arrived today and I have just got it installed , updated and connecting ready for flight.
BUT it is now night here in Japan, so I may not be test flying until tomorrow or until the next day.
The simple question:
I had fully charged the new battery and proceeded to do the update installations etc.
Now the battery is only 98%. I may not even fly tomorrow, so I expect that the battery will have lost even more of its charge.
I have read that topping up LiPo batteries is not a good idea.***
When I do the first flight should I top up the battery before flying? Or should I use it as it is and fly anyway?
Regards
Douglas
PS *** I think I have also read in Anafi battery guidelines that after flying for the day (even for short flight) and having no plans for flying in the near future, you should top up the battery and then leave it in storage, allowing it to do its natural hibernation in due course.

I typically see that 2% drop on my fully charged batteries before I get out to where I'm flying and prepare for flight. However, my batteries are a year old. If I haven't used them for a few days to a week I usually charge them again until the lights all go out, and the top led will blink for a while. I have never heard that doing this is bad for LiPo batteries and have been doing this on all my various batteries (Ebike, etc.) for several years, depending on whether I feel the need for a maximum charge for the proposed use.

For the Anafi, starting at 98% is usually enough for my use since I RTH at no less than 20% nowadays. The Ebike is different because the idea of pedaling a 55 lb. bike with no assist up the hill to my house is not pleasant. I try not to let it get below 1/4 before I'm at the bottom of the hill!

LiPo batteries don't develop memory or voltage depression characteristics like NiCd/NiHm batteries, and do not need to be discharged before being charged.

"I have read that topping up LiPo batteries is not a good idea.***"
How would that work with the auto decharging after 10 days?
Don't worry, top em up.
I just don't think that it makes much sense for a 98% status

For quiet some time I have recharged the batteries after flying just to 2 LED steady, 1 starts blinking. And "topped" them up, in the hour or two, just before I wanted to go fly.
Since I fly more, but not always all 3 batteries (which I mostly did before), I recharge some days all 3, to get out the next day. And right now my batteries are "loosing" up to almost 10%, over night. Even a bit more the next day.
( I probably should charge one and check for some days, what is going on here?)
For me that is unknown behavior, perhaps it is aging and such, but I was surprised the first time I saw that happening.
So now I either have 'em again charged from 2+ to full at the day I wanna go out, or I recharge minimum the battery in the bird BEFORE I go out or charge it on the way with a PD powerbank
And if it seems that I wanna fly one more, I PD-powerbank charge the second one, during the flight with the first one!

I have noticed them discharging even when my Anafi was new. Actually there was a heated argument in a very early post on this forum that this cannot happen. It is common knowledge Lipos lose charge over time and is documented on many web sites that deal with batteries. The older they get the faster they will discharge. Leaving them in the Anafi will speed it up also. Maybe there is some kind of internal clock on the FC drawing power. noidea.gif

• Sad
Reactions: Ana789

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood