Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LIPO batteries & travel

justDee

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
After my recent experience with the battery charger meltdown, I'm curious on how safe it is to travel with these batteries. I have already purchased the LIPO bags for all of my batteries, along with the big LIPO bag to place the charger & batteries inside of while charging.
But when it comes to air travel and foreign countries, how safe is it?
I wanted to take the Anafi to Namibia in September. A long flight over and back, 17 hours in air. Then in Namibia, their electric current is 220 volts versus our 110 volts here in the states. While we were there in Namibia last year, they had electrical adapters to use with our American (110 volt) electrical plugs. I was able to charge our phones, batteries for our cameras, and our portable power packs with USB ports for power in the field. No real issues.

Thoughts/suggestions/concerns ???

I think if you follow the FAA/airline rules for travel you're o.k. I'd be a little concerned about the reliability of the electrical supply but a good converter that can reliably rectify and smooth the electrical supply should insure you're not doing damage to the batteries. There might be someone that can recommend a high end converter that would be good to use on your trip.

When I went go Australia earlier this year I found that there was a huge difference in the individual airlines rules on where the Anafi and batteries should go, hold or cabin, and I ended up not taking it. I wou,d suggest that you email the airlines that you are flying with for advice otherwise you may find the Anafi confiscated.

Regarding charging the batteries you can get mains USB chargers that will accept 110v and 220v. It may be wise to purchase one before your trip and also a 12v car USB adaptor if you will have access to a car.

Updated formula:
Missed out that the batterys are to be at 50% charged (not 100%) when travelling , therefor x0,5 in powerfactor
---
Im going on holiday to Greece this summer bringing my bird and have been digging in this batteryquestions myself.
My local "FAA"="Transportstyrelsen" states its all about how strong your battery you have.
Cant speak of the separate airline rules, but flightauthorities should have common global rules throu their connections to IATA.
The common rules states if the battery is below 100Wh/pce its ok to bring on as handluggage. (in Lipo-bag) OR in checked in luggage.¨'
Stronger battery (100-160Wh) only in handluggage and a permission from airline, > 160Wh is a No-Go.

Every anafi-battery is abt 20 Wh.
The formula is (Number of Cells x 50% charged x Rated power i A x Voltage)" -> So Anafi battery is (2Cell x 0,5 x 2,7A x 7,6v) = 20,5 Wh each at 50% charged.

So if you have it in your handluggage, packed in separate LiPo-bags, with connectors protected/taped preventing shortcurcits there should be no problem.

Disclaimer - This is the rules for my country, they should be common globaly, but check yours out one more time.

Last edited:
Emirates transitting via Dubai to Australia from thr UK wanted both the drone and batteries in hold baggage as I understand that drones are banned in the UAE. I also could not get a reliable answer from Qantas and Jetstar as to whether the Anafi could be transported in cabin baggage with the battery installed or whether it had to be removed.

Last edited:
Emirates transitting via Dubai to Australia from thr UK wanted both the drone and batteries in hold baggage as I understand that drones are banned in the UAE. I also could not get a reliable answer from Quantas and Jetstar as to whether the Anafi could be transported in cabin baggage with the battery installed or whether it had to be removed.
Sorry for you, not getting any reliable answears in time.
Would have been an nice countyside to do some serious droning in.
Hope U get another shot at is sometimes.

As we were making 11 planes journeys during our 4 week holiday, we have retired, I thought that having a relaxing time was much more important than worrying about whether the Anafi would make it onto the next flight.

One thing that did surprise me is that I was forced, on internal Qantas flights, to put some spare Alkaline AA sized batteries in my cabin luggage and not in my checked in suitcase. The Qantas lady, who was very good about it, said that they had a policy that ALL spare batteries not in devices had to be in cabin baggage regardless of the chemistry. They assumed that the general travelling public did not know which batteries were lithium based and which were not so to make things easier all spare batteries would be cabin baggage.

Flying Delta to Namibia and this is from the Delta website. If I am reading this correctly, I am allowed one battery to be inserted into the Anafi itself, and then I can carry two additional spares for a total of three batteries?

Lithium Batteries
As you probably know, traveling with consumer electronic and medical devices containing lithium cells or batteries (e.g. watches, calculators, cameras, cell phones, laptops, camcorders, hearing aids, etc.) is allowed onboard as carry-on. Spare lithium batteries are allowed as carry-on only, and must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.
Tips to properly transport spare lithium batteries:
  • Pack spare batteries in carry-on baggage.
  • Keep spare batteries in the original retail packaging to prevent unintentional activation or short-circuiting.
  • If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and/or metal.
  • Specifically, place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals.
  • Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short circuit, resulting in overheating.
Size Limits for Lithium Batteries:

Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed.

Quantity Limits for Lithium Batteries:

Each person is limited to a maximum of 20 spare batteries

As the Anafi battery is only 41Wh you could take 20 spare batteries on board provided that you kept within the weight limit :)

As the Anafi battery is only 41Wh you could take 20 spare batteries on board provided that you kept within the weight limit :)

Well, I'm confused on their verbiage. Are the LIPO batteries Lithium batteries? I'm assuming, the LIPO battery would obviously be the Anafi battery and a Lithium battery (20 count) would be like a Lithium AA battery for a camera or other electronic device? They mention the line about two spares, and then through the twenty count out there?

As I read it you can only carry 2 spare batteries if they are >=100 & <=160 Wh.
As the Anafi battery is only 41Wh then as I read it the 2 spare battery limit does not apply.
I also think that they are using the term "Lithium" to cover all battery chemistries based on Lithium be they rechargeable or not. LiPo is short for "Lithium Polymer".

You can now see why I was confused prior to my Australia trip and you only have one airline to deal with!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure how many I'll take? I think that making sure I can charge the batteries correctly and safely while there is my focus now that I know I can at least take them on the plane. You guys are great.
:)

What about these two items for my charging requirements? I'll be charging the Anafi batteries, along with iPhone XS, camera batteries, etc.

Converter

Power Plug Type M adapter

Well, where I live almost every charger/power supply is compatible with both 110v and 220v.
I'm using a simple 6port USB-charger with 2 PD-ports(3A) and 4ports 2.4A, it cover my needs pretty much.
It's small enough to fit in my travelling gear with all cables and works everywhere considering voltage.

20190610_065026.jpg
20190610_065049.jpg

Reactions: apixelpilot
If possible check with local Drone dealers on other end and see if you can rent or buy on destination end. I would think this would be a good business model enhancement because of the risk taking with. I have had several fires and outgassing of LiPo and LiIon better safe. Never had a problem with a Parrot OEM or DJI OEM battery just off brands

I've got bags for each battery, will take four with me, and then I'll place those into another single LIPO bag. I have covers for the connection ports also and was thinking maybe I should let the batteries drain before the flight?

I've got bags for each battery, will take four with me, and then I'll place those into another single LIPO bag. I have covers for the connection ports also and was thinking maybe I should let the batteries drain before the flight?
You should only drain them to abt 50% ("storagecharged"), because if (god forbid) they might ending up in holding for a day or two, they might die.
Drained one of my earlier Bebop2 battery earlier and forgot to charge it for 2 day and it died, and that battery was new.
I always keep my Anafi batteries at abt 50% (2 LED) when travelling.
I like your solution with double LiPo-bags, I'll maybe do a copy of that one. Better safe than sorry....

I'm still on the fence on this power converter. I won't be using a curling iron, flat iron, or blow dryer. Just recharging batteries for my cameras, my Anafi, and my iPhone. I'll be in Namibia and South Africa.
Going off of the reviews on Amazon, it's hard to get a great 'feel' for what is best for my needs.
Thoughts on this device listed on Amazon. It is PRIME DAY, so some really good discounts.
Power Converter Plug
But now that I read the description, it looks like it only has one plug for 110volt devices, the double prong slot. Back to the drawing board.
:unsure:
Do I actually need a power converter, or can I get by with using the electrical plug adapter that fits in their 22v outlet and has our 110v plug ins?

Last edited:
Emirates transitting via Dubai to Australia from thr UK wanted both the drone and batteries in hold baggage as I understand that drones are banned in the UAE. I also could not get a reliable answer from Qantas and Jetstar as to whether the Anafi could be transported in cabin baggage with the battery installed or whether it had to be removed.

Strange, I just did this same flight with the Anafi (bought it while I was in the UK) and the person at the Emirates check-in desk in the UK said that the drone needed to be in hold luggage, the batteries in cabin baggage, so that's what I did. Didn't have any issues. Flights were Emirates Birminham->DBX->Melbourne, then a Qantas domestic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking