Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Loading offline map

I read 1. Home at Budapest real GPS, after it fakeGPS 2.Kiel, 3 Rostock, 4 Koppenhaga 5. Oslo, 6. Stockholm.
Later in offline mode I can see all of them except Kiel.
Of course, I understand now, good thinking using Fakegps to test this, clever (y)

I have just done a test as well.

I have loaded three offline maps just by zooming out, moving the map and then zooming in again. I did not use FakeGPS. The maps were downloaded via WiFi. The locations I chose were the homes of myself, my father and my in-laws. They are about 100 miles apart. I then used FakeGPS to spoof those locations. The second and third locations worked but on the first location (my home) the centre tile was just roads and did not have any features. I also found that the areas downloaded were not square as I would have thought. The third location only appeared to download 7 tiles near the location in an "L" shape with the location near to one edge and about 10 tiles a few miles away. I had a similar thing at the second location.

Just a question, I don't know: is there any connection in the background with the mobile's Google maps offline map datas and FF6? Just because the FF6 shows the Google sign in the left corner when it is in the map menu. It should be a good firmware update....

Good evening. Has anyone figured out how many maps can be uploaded offline on FF6? Is it possible to eliminate if the memory is full? Thank you and sorry for the double question.

Good evening. Has anyone figured out how many maps can be uploaded offline on FF6? Is it possible to eliminate if the memory is full? Thank you and sorry for the double question.
I'm guessing FF6 is using the Google mapping API which means the storage of maps is a function of Google maps. FF6 has no direct control over off-line storage of the mapping information. My guess is if you do not use the map data for a period of time, it will be automatically deleted from your device by Google. Likewise, the number of map locations stored will depend on the cache size of Google maps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moonfly
I'm guessing FF6 is using the Google mapping API which means the storage of maps is a function of Google maps. FF6 has no direct control over off-line storage of the mapping information. My guess is if you do not use the map data for a period of time, it will be automatically deleted from your device by Google. Likewise, the number of map locations stored will depend on the cache size of Google maps.

On iOS it is of course using Apple Maps so that theory can’t be correct.

On iOS it is of course using Apple Maps so that theory can’t be correct.
Apple also has a mapping API, I'm guessing the same will apply - my post was from an Android perspective. As a software developer I would rely on the mapping API's to handle the data storage, it's just easier to do, plus the mapping information will always be up to date.

Last edited:
Thanks AaronB for the answer. I have emptied the cache and memory of Google Maps. I went on FF6 offline i still have the maps. I went to see the memory of FF6. There are data in the cache. Are the maps? Perhaps the only load limit for maps to be used offline is the memory gigabyte of the smartphone? Mine is a hypothesis.

Thanks AaronB for the answer. I have emptied the cache and memory of Google Maps. I went on FF6 offline i still have the maps. I went to see the memory of FF6. There are data in the cache. Are the maps? Perhaps the only load limit for maps to be used offline is the memory gigabyte of the smartphone? Mine is a hypothesis.

If FF6 is caching the map data, then I don't think FF6 will store the maps forever as this would be against the Google Maps API conditions (section 4.4 Cache Restrictions)

Last edited:
Reactions: Moonfly
Thanks AaronB, i did not know of the existence of what you wrote. So i look at the FF6 cache!

I tried the following: Google maps offline map download. Airplane mode. FakeGPS position into the offline map. Google map show the fake position, ok. FF6 start, load map. Push location icon. And nothing. white page. nothing :-(

It appears the Google map data is independently cached by each app. You will need to load the map data via FF6.

I'd like to add a second question to Maxgi's@
At home I can "Load Map" of the area I will be visiting. However, when I am not at home, with my domestic wifi connections, I cannot load another map, if I move to a completely different area. Is there anyway to load more than one map, save them and then bring up the one I need at that time. I am using an android tablet, that is not used as a phone and has no connection other than the cable to the skycontroller.
Regards
Douglas
At home (with Internet access) I go to the load map icon which brings me to prepare map. I finish the process. There is a short green message. No way to save or give file name. I go to waypoints and no way to recall this map? Anyone having this issue? (on both my android and iOS)

I cannot get my maps to load any of the 17 tiles it just stays on preparing 1/17 any idea what the problem might be ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut