Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Low Light DNG & JPEG

SkySpy

Reaction score
Greetings fellow pilots! I was experimenting with low light photography when I encountered something I did not expect. I have the DNG version named Tiff_0692 and the original jpg version (P6920692). I always shoot in Raw with a JPG twin on my SLR as I did here with the Anafi. My ISO was 800 and my shutter speed was 500. This should be enough speed on the shutter to give a reasonably sharp image considering the low light conditions. These images were shot with the wide angle setting. Notice how the DNG image is as should be expected for the given shutter speed. Now look at the JPG version. This images looks like it was taken at a much slower shutter speed. Note the double image in the bright outlines. I has always been my understanding that the JPG is a converted version of the DNG file. So why is there this visual difference? Most of the other images taken at this location show the same results.

Attachments

• Tiff_0692.jpg
    Tiff_0692.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 38
  • P6920692.jpg
    P6920692.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 37
I am not sure to understand your problem (English is not my native language), but on the DNG image, you have the normal ‘fish-eye’ effect of the lens, and on the JPEG file, you have a flat horizon and cropped image due to the treatment to ‘flatten it’.
So your are not comparing ‘twin images’, but a Raw file vs a highly treated JPEG (‘DNG+Jpeg Rect’ in FF6 picture option)
If you really wanted to compare ‘twin’ images Raw vs JPEG, did you try to choose the ‘DNG+JPEG wide’ option ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem