Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MAVLINK questions

ReadyKilowatt

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the Parrot world but flying for a while now. Did my first flight of my used Disco yesterday and so far I'm impressed. I've been building a fixed wing but haven't had much luck getting it off the ground so thought it would be a good idea to step back and figure out how these things are supposed to fly, then try again.

I have a few questions about the C.H.U.C.K. flight controller. It looks like it sends MAVLINK data over WiFi (I'm able to see telemetry from the Disco on APM Planner), but haven't gotten much beyond that. It is much easier to do flight planning on a PC than it is on a phone or tablet, so I would prefer using it if possible. Searching leads me down the path to flashing the C.H.U.C.K. with Ardupilot, which I'm not against doing but would prefer getting to know the stock aircraft before jumping over. Also wondering what advantages there are with using an SBUS receiver. Better range? Customization? I have a Taranis QX7 that is a nightmare to set up and a Herelink that I haven't used but bought in a fit of frustration over the X7's setup. The HereLink promises fantastic range, so might be a good choice, although it really is designed for Pixhawk autopilots and HDMI video feeds, something I'm guessing isn't going to happen with a C.H.U.C.K., flashed or not.

If I flash Ardupilot will I lose the stock controller? After using WiFi with my 3DR Solo I'm not all that sure it is a good idea for anything longer than a few feet away, especially in a residential area, but the cellular/4G mod seems like overkill for training/casual flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar