Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ND FILTERS - Very interesting findings

crossroad

Reaction score
I bought 3 nd filters from Freewell.
ND 8, 16 & 32.
I didn't buy the well-known freewell Kit, because I have no trust in the use of ND & PL filters with camera drones.

I saw this video :
that with a little conversion to the gimbal cover, the gimbal initialisation works again.

Then I tried the filters I bought (notice they have a similar hole) and voila!
Initialisation /calibration works fine with the ND filter attached.

Conclusion :
If all freewell filters do not have this hole, is this the solution?
Does Anafi have to make the gimbal cover in this way (with a hole)
Should Freewell do the same for all the filters it makes for Anafi?
Or am I just lucky?

You can watch my own video here :

Your findings are interesting and it could be stated this way :

During the gimbal camera calibration ‘initialization dance’, the Anafi extends its head way too far. The cap or the lens when covered with a filter may come in contact with the body frame. This is particularly true when manufacturing clearances come into account... some Anafi cameras may touch the frame during initialization sequence, others may not.

We already suggested Parrot to re-think the initialization sequence if it is proved ‘exagerated’ in some threads of this forum (particularly since the last firmware update where I saw this problem occurs, ending with the Anafi shaking ‘nonono’ with its sorrow head.
Lens filters manufacturers added a groove in the Attaching cylinder to prevent contacts and your idea to do it in the lens cap is good.

The recent firmware update (Yesterday) states they changed something in the startup sequence, so before cutting the lens cap, I would do some tests with the new update ;o)

Anafi 1.6.3
  • Unbridle motors to takeoff and fly at all altitudes.
  • Faster image capture for the following modes: timelapse, GPS lapse, panorama.
  • Faster panorama capture by accelerating the drone’s movements.
  • (bugfix) Optimization of the GPS lapse precision.
  • (bugfix) Bugfix during the gimbal calibration

o.k but what about ND Freewell filters?

Do they all have the same design process?

Is there a small hole in it all?
Or is it just the filters that are sold separately?

If not all ND Freewell filters have the same design then the existence of the small hole can prove that the solution has been found (since the same approach was applied to the gimbal protector).

Let's wait for the results of the new firmaware.

Well, I have the ND/Pola filters set, and I can put them on the Anafi before firing the startup sequence. This set of filter does not have a hole or groove on the side.
I had a 50% chance for failure in this case.

I can reach say 10% of failing the initialization sequence when I set the camera angle 5° above the horizon (with the Android app only, the iOS app does not have this camera setting ‘up or under the horizon’ on my iPad)

That’s what made me think problems can occur when the cam or filter touches the body frame at one point.

It can be solved by either removing material on the cap or filter to prevent this material from touching the Anafi body frame, or changing the startup sequence so it does not extend to far or so ‘fast’ inducing a contact sometimes with nothing on the lens... I’ll check if they chose the second option, as I can clearly hear the ‘tic’ sound of the ridge of the lens touching the frame...

I can reach say 10% of failing the initialization sequence when I set the camera angle 5° above the horizon (with the Android app only, the iOS app does not have this camera setting ‘up or under the horizon’ on my iPad)

If I understood correctly, you have made a correction of the horizontial orientation.
I do not agree with this approach.
You are not correcting one mistake with another.

I wonder why there is a design difference in Freewell filters.

It's a coincidence what happens in my case (filters with holes)
or am I just lucky with my Anafi's gimbal?

When Freewell first made ND filters for the Anafi they worked with Parrot to design them. The first ones that came out never had the notch cut out of them. My set of Freewell filters all work on both my Anafi's at start up without errors. As time went on some people were having issues with the Freewell filters so Freewell made the design change to the filter to hopefully resolve the startup issues. We still see many people that still cannot put the filter on until after startup. I have also heard this new design if not put on properly will let light in causing a shadow or streak of light.

When Freewell first made ND filters for the Anafi they worked with Parrot to design them. The first ones that came out never had the notch cut out of them. My set of Freewell filters all work on both my Anafi's at start up without errors. As time went on some people were having issues with the Freewell filters so Freewell made the design change to the filter to hopefully resolve the startup issues. We still see many people that still cannot put the filter on until after startup. I have also heard this new design if not put on properly will let light in causing a shadow or streak of light.

- Very interesting
- :oops::oops:
- You're right. There is a serious possibility that it will happen.

1.5 years after the release of anafi, and the problem with gimbal's startup issues has not been resolved.:(

I feel a cold hand resting on my shoulders. THE BIG CHILL

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all .

- Very interesting
- :oops::oops:
- You're right. There is a serious possibility that it will happen.

1.5 years after the release of anafi, and the problem with gimbal's startup issues has not been resolved.:(

I feel a cold hand resting on my shoulders. THE BIG CHILL

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all .
Gimbal initialization means that you have to collide with the cutting positions on each axis in both directions. Because of the small space left between the camera rim and the frame during design, this cannot be solved by software.
The solution is to turn on the drone without a protective cap and attach the filter at the very end of the start-up process.

Strange Strange behavior !!!
Nothing valid from my first post !!
Now when I get out of the house, the gimbal with the ND filter cannot start.
I need to add the filter after booting :mad::mad:
Is it about the latest upgrade? (1.6.3)
When I did my first tests, I think I have version 1.6.2 ...

I've always had to add my Freewell filters after booting. I don't think it has anything to do with which firmware.

I've always had to add my Freewell filters after booting. I don't think it has anything to do with which firmware.

O.K. I know and from now on I will do the same :(

But as you can see in my video (first post), Initialisation /calibration works fine with the ND filter attached and version 1.6.2

After upgrade to 1.6.3 the gimbal with the ND Filter attached, does not booting !!!!!

I mention this strange fact ....

O.K. I know and from now on I will do the same :(

But as you can see in my video (first post), Initialisation /calibration works fine with the ND filter attached and version 1.6.2

After upgrade to 1.6.3 the gimbal with the ND Filter attached, does not booting !!!!!

I mention this strange fact ....
Not at all strange because the last firmware has improved the initialization of gimbal. Not everyone succeeded, so they couldn't fly:

ANAFI 1.6.3
Unbridle motors to takeoff and fly at all altitudes.
Faster image capture for timelapse, gps child, panorama.
Faster panorama capture by accelerating the drone's movements.
(bugfix) Optimization of GPS for child precision.
(bugfix) Bugfix during gimbal calibration.

Not at all strange because the last firmware has improved the initialization of gimbal. Not everyone succeeded, so they couldn't fly:

ANAFI 1.6.3
Unbridle motors to takeoff and fly at all altitudes.
Faster image capture for timelapse, gps child, panorama.
Faster panorama capture by accelerating the drone's movements.
(bugfix) Optimization of GPS for child precision.
(bugfix) Bugfix during gimbal calibration.

Improved ??????@#$!23

Improved ??????@#$!23
Yes, it has been improved! The goal was to calibrate gimbal correctly and accurately, and this calibration would run properly. The purpose of the development was never to calibrate with the filter. It was just a coincidence that sometimes he succeeded.
I'm not saying this is good, but if you haven't thought about it at the time of development (design) and there's little room for a filter, then there's nothing to do.

4 Batteries.
Every time i change the batteries, must take off the filter, start up the anafi, then plug in the filter again !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut