Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Pilot in W.Michigan

CaptnPea

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking forward to learning from the group... Next summer I will be shooting some sailboat racing and returning to a moving boat, so RTH is useless unless mine learns to swim. is there a way to setup a returned to ME?

I've flown manual toy drones so have a little skill and will be looking for practice drills and building my skill set for action video taking.

Thanks,
Captn Pea

Welcome from Ontario Canada
The option to have it to return to "Me" is not a option Parrot has given us yet. At least its not in the FF6 App. Not sure which bird you bought as you never mentioned it and some use a different App that might have that option.
My Autel X-Star has that option or I can also reset my home point. Both I do not trust so landing before a forced RTH would be your best option.

If you use Follow Me and RTH, the drone will return to wherever your boat is at the end of the shot, since it knows your phone's GPS position all the time. Of course this won't help because your subject is a different boat.

The solution is to do a Follow Me on the boat you want and when the shot is over, manually retrieve the drone to your position. Since retrieving the drone safely to a moving boat is somewhat tricky, depending on the size of the clear deck available, I would suggest experimenting with two cars in a really big field. If one is not available you can use two people. Drive or walk in a loose formation after you set up the Follow Me on the other car or person. Move around in as big a circle or oblong as possible, and when the shot is finished, continue to move and bring the drone back to you and hover it 5 feet away while still moving. Then bring it to within a foot of your hand while still moving. Once you can do this you can try it with two boats.

This is NOT easy!!! Bringing the drone into within grabbing distance on a pitching boat moving even 5 knots is a real skill that needs a lot of practice. Forget about landing it on a boat unless it is the size of a cabin cruiser with a nice large obstacle free after-deck! You will have to grab it. If you can stop your boat it's a lot easier.

Here is a thread from back in August about this: Launching from a moving platform (boat)

You will also have to practice the different Follow Me modes until you understand exactly what sort of shot each one does, as well as lots of practice flying precisely while you are moving. It's a lot harder to fly precisely at slow speeds than zooming all over the place.

And read this: Advice for new pilots

There are hundreds of good videos on the internet. Just ask about anything specific, one of us is likely to know where to find out about it.

Sorry... just got the Anafi, base model with 2 batteries to start. Been playing around I have a lot to learn. Been lurking around here doing a LOT of reading.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem