Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Night Flying and Vertical Camera

You dont name the sensors you just refer them as motion sensors....🤭
Ok, I'll try.
If there is no GPS:
1. Anafi's vertical camera is used for horizontal stabilisation (right/left/forward/back), as long as it's not too dark and Anafi is flying not too high above ground. And: this may not work over water or low contrast ground.
2. The ultrasonic sensor is used for vertical stabilisation (up/down) only at low flying altitudes (a few meter). This will work also at night.
3. The barometer sensor is used for vertical stabilisation at any flying altitude. It is set to zero at each start.
4. Each drone also has attitude and motion sensors. So does Anafi. They help to hoover wherever you don't touch the sticks and to move without tilting ...

Ok, I'll try.
If there is no GPS:
1. Anafi's vertical camera is used for horizontal stabilisation (right/left/forward/back), as long as it's not too dark and Anafi is flying not too high above ground. And: this may not work over water or low contrast ground.
2. The ultrasonic sensor is used for vertical stabilisation (up/down) only at low flying altitudes (a few meter). This will work also at night.
3. The barometer sensor is used for vertical stabilisation at any flying altitude. It is set to zero at each start.
4. Each drone also has attitude and motion sensors. So does Anafi. They help to hoover wherever you don't touch the sticks and to move without tilting ...
Thank you for the clarification

I think your are confusing #4 with what is called a gyro and magnetometer...

But anyway cutting through the BS...

It looks like there are plenty of sensors that take place of the vert cam at night. When it cant be used.

I think your are confusing #4 with what is called a gyro and magnetometer...

But anyway cutting through the BS...

It looks like there are plenty of sensors that take place of the vert cam at night. When it cant be used.
The Anafi (like any drone) has:
1. Attitude sensor: identifies the attitude of an object by detecting the gravitation of our globe.
2. Motion or acceleration sensor or gyro: detects rotation, acceleration, deceleration and identifies any movement.
3. Magnetometer or magnetic compass sensor: detects the earth's magnetic field and identifies the orientation N/E/S/W.

With these 3 (attitude and motion) sensors a drone is able to orient itself in the air, answering the questions:
- What is my orientation relative to the earth's gravity and magnetic field?
- How do I move or how was I moved (e.g. by the wind)?

The worst problem flying in the dark is, that the very precise vertical camera sensor is off and therefore the horizontal orientation is much worse than at daylight.

Last edited:
Interesting if vert cam may work good at night if it can sense street lights or ground lights to use as a reference. Opposed to farmland with no lights

What the heck is the question here hehe? I like the interesting information about the ANAFI 4k but what is the author asking? Do you want to know how the drone flies at night? If so I have a couple quick videos of a hover and scan at night after I got my firehause drone light (FAA compliant). I can share the video with. I just moved it from my drone to my computer and made a copy to put on my google drive. I don't think it is too bad.

I live in a pretty dark neighborhood, I believe I had camera settings on auto, NAT 4k 30fps. I was just testing the brightness of the strobe against objects. Both below 40 degree nights in fall of NE area.

One thing I forgot to add was the way the drone felt when flying at night. It was a bit more floaty. It felt like when I flew my bebop 1 under a bridge and lost GPS. Very floaty but still recoverable. The strobe does not help the cause because 3 nautical miles of light right in front of your face on take off is disorientating. Combine that with the floaty feel when accelerating and gaining altitude, it gets a little sketchy. Did I mention how bright the light is? lol

Thanks for comment and vid. The manual says do not fly at night but this may have been added to a rule that is not so anymore, or because of sensors are poor at night. Which is it Parrot? I knew it would be more floaty when vert cam cant pickup objects. Youtube has tons of vids on anafis flying at night near cities. The city lights probably help the vert camera. But you have almost none as you say so there may be a difference between yours and city night flier quality. Hmm iluminated landing pad for vert cam?

Last edited:
What is it that you're trying to get at with the bottom camera? Are you trying to fly at night or are you trying to get access to view the bottom camera on screen?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar