Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Now my turn to drop from the sky! At last.

Drbgaijin

Reaction score
Website
www.gaijin-eyes.com
For the past 2 or 3 months I have expected my Anafi to drop from the skies.
It never happened.
I went through the updates from 1.6.3 during that time.
Today, perfect weather, not a hint of wind.
FF6.6.9, Anafi 1.6.8, Controller 1.6.3.
Flying for 4 minutes. Hovering to take a 360 panorama, flying about another 4 minutes.
Slow descent, at about 2.5 metres height I begin to taxi towards me, slowly, preparing to land.
SUDDEN DROP to the pebbles below.
Right front leg snapped.
Camera has problems too.
Was I shocked and unhappy?
NO! Because I had been waiting for this to happen for the past months.
Parrot Support in Japan are off today. It is a big national holiday.
Have gathered most of the information they will ask for.
Let's see what tomorrow will bring.
Regards
Douglas

PS. The 360 panorama and video sequences were all in good condition on the memory-card!

Sorry to hear of this mishap Douglas, especially on the new firmware, just when testing was going to so good for the masses. I hope you manage to get it sorted with Parrot, and be back flying in no time.

Yep! There I was flying happily, knowing that the latest firmware should have everything under control. . . . . . . then . . . . . . .drop . . . crash!
For all you other pilots, I hope that my drop from the skies was due to something extremely unusual that only would affect my Anafi! :)

Sorry to hear your story Douglas. I had just about convinced myself to upgrade my Anafi from 1.6.3 to 1.6.8 as it appeared a stable upgrade but your crash has made me think again and I will stay with the old proven firmware for the time being.

Sorry to hear your story Douglas. I had just about convinced myself to upgrade my Anafi from 1.6.3 to 1.6.8 as it appeared a stable upgrade but your crash has made me think again and I will stay with the old proven firmware for the time being.
#metoo

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
That is very unfortunate Douglas. Did you notice any on screen error. I suppose it happens so fast even if there was you might have missed it. Does the graph for that flight show a total drop of power?

For me bad story today too. I flew about 15 minutes without any problem. Suddenly I was about 20m high, 27% of battery, I was watching to it and he felt like a brick out the sky, 2 broken legs, camera out of center.... 18 months old. I heard already a lot about Anafi who dropped out the sky, I never got any problem, but today it was my turn. I hope there is some warranty because I have the logfile. Also in the logfile, it say crash = 0IMG_0340.PNGIMG_0340.PNG
All latest updates were done, so....

Yep! There I was flying happily, knowing that the latest firmware should have everything under control. . . . . . . then . . . . . . .drop . . . crash!
For all you other pilots, I hope that my drop from the skies was due to something extremely unusual that only would affect my Anafi! :)

Douglas,

Is it possible you can post up your .json file, maybe then one of the guru's on logs can take a look and see if they can pinpoint any reason for the fall?

My thoughts exactly!
#Mefour

In case the .json file can provide some information to those of you who are at home with those things, I will attach it (in zipped form) for you to look at.
Soon we will be in contact with Parrot support in Japan. Will post any useful or interesting information that we hear from them.

Attachments

• 0914_2020-05-06T071707+0900_F370F3_0044.zip
    207 KB · Views: 10
I have had a look at the .json file of your flight and although it does not contain any information that may have caused the crash I have noted the following:-

1) You appear to have taken off without the Anafi having a satellite lock. The log says zero satellites at take off!
2) The log also does not have a valid controller GPS position at take off.
3) During the last 5 minutes of the flight the forward speed, sideways speed roll and pitch angles are up and down a lot. Was it very windy at the time of the flight as you said that the panorama was taken during the middle part of the flight?
Screen_Charts attitude_1.png

4) The final line of the log has the Anafi still in Flying Mode and flying sideways at a fairly constant height of 2.4m. The flkight time is 11.49 minutes.

Otherwise unfortunately I cannot find anything else of interest.

Thank you for taking a look.

1) You appear to have taken off without the Anafi having a satellite lock. The log says zero satellites at take off! That is correct. I have found, over the 2+ years flying the Anafi, that I never have the locks until I take off. As soon as I get a few metres up, the locks take hold.
2) The log also does not have a valid controller GPS position at take off. Most often it is the same as point 1. As soon as I take off................
3) During the last 5 minutes of the flight the forward speed, sideways speed roll and pitch angles are up and down a lot. Was it very windy at the time of the flight as you said that the panorama was taken during the middle part of the flight? It was one of the calmest days we have had for ages!
4) The final line of the log has the Anafi still in Flying Mode and flying sideways at a fairly constant height of 2.4m. The flkight time is 11.49 minutes. Correct! I was slowly flying closer to the landing spot . . . . then PLONK!
Regards
Douglas

Fingers cross for you Douglas, that Parrot Japan give you good news and replace/repair your Anafi

You startet the Anafi without GPS? This may some effect if you try RTH. In this case it is no problem.

This case looks like all the other cases where the Anafi drops from the sky. Flightlog stops recording mid-air, no landing indication, no alerts (Alert state always zero), WiFi signal is very good. Battery was low but not too low. Altitude was 2.4m, distance to RC ~11m.

Again, no explanation of the incident from flight logs.

Please store the FDR log files too. Those may be needed for Parrot, we cannot read it.

br HE

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood